Protective styles and hair growth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Protective styles and hair growth

Post by ChocBeauty on 14th February 2011, 11:08 pm

I've been natural for almost 3 years with about 7 inches length. Although I wasn't very good to my hair the first year, since then I've been diligent about products, styles, etc. I've been wearing protective styles, but noticed when I untwist or uncoil there's shedding and some breakage. My question is will these protective styles hinder my hair growth? or will the shedding and breakage hinder my hair growth? I'm very moisturize when I untwist and uncoil so it's not due to dryness.
Thanks for your input and help.

ChocBeauty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Protective styles and hair growth

Post by naturallynola on 15th February 2011, 12:13 am

Protective styles should not cause damage as long as you are maintaining your cleansing and moisturizing routine and the style is not pulling your hair or otherwise too tight. If it is shedding, the norm is about 50 - 100 hairs per day, so if you are not combing/brushing/detangling for a while, it might look like alot, but that amount represents a cumulative affect. Growth nor retention should be an issue if none of the above are issues. Just some possibilities.

BTW, spritzing is easy and effective, if you are not doing that.

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils on 15th February 2011, 9:07 am

ITA with naturallynola. What type of protective styles are you doing? Make sure that you are not twisting or braiding your hair too tightly. Always make sure your hair is moisturized also.
krazy coils

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, http://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocBeauty on 15th February 2011, 10:03 am

Thanks so much for the feedback to the both. I will make sure I'm not twisting/coiling to tight. I will also spritz btw because I haven't been doing that. I normally use a coconut oil, vitamin e oil, jojoba oil, and shea butter mixture as a seal in. I'm going to add some peppermint oil because I do have some scalp itchiness. Do you think this would be a good sprizer with some water added?

ChocBeauty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola on 15th February 2011, 10:29 am

Many spritz combos work. Put "spritz" in the internal search here and you will get to see many options. Also, you may want to do a ACV rinse . Many products are not ph balanced and esp. and just generally for a good scalp cleansing to remove build-up. It will provide ph balancing, cuticle smoothing, softness, and shine. You can use 1 tablespoon per 1 cup of water to start with (distilled water). If that solution is not strong enough, you can make it stronger.

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocBeauty on 16th February 2011, 10:32 am

Will do the ACV rinse on Friday. Thanks again Very Happy

ChocBeauty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel on 16th February 2011, 12:50 pm

also, i have found that if i moistuize ur braids/twists on the daily or when u see fit with a product that has an ingredient with slip that my twists come apart smoothly and without any snags. i have also found karen's body beautiful love butter helps to untwist without any breakage. also, be very gentle and patient when untwisting...esp at the ends.
dajewel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 on 16th February 2011, 12:57 pm

What about a protein treatmeant? Maybe your hair isn't strong enough. Everytime I think of shedding, I think of protein.
meepmeep1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cagebird on 16th February 2011, 4:04 pm

naturallynola wrote:Protective styles should not cause damage as long as you are maintaining your cleansing and moisturizing routine and the style is not pulling your hair or otherwise too tight. If it is shedding, the norm is about 50 - 100 hairs per day, so if you are not combing/brushing/detangling for a while, it might look like alot, but that amount represents a cumulative affect. Growth nor retention should be an issue if none of the above are issues. Just some possibilities.

BTW, spritzing is easy and effective, if you are not doing that.
I had the same issue, and this is what I was told by some naturals on another board. Since hearing this I have stopped worry as much about all the hair in my sink on wash day.
cagebird

View user profile http://www.darkerthanbrown.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ChocBeauty on 16th February 2011, 11:47 pm

You know, I'v never done a protein treatment. I just may incorporate that into my regimen this weekend. Also, does the hair fuzz much after washing with the twists in?

ChocBeauty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by normanorient on 17th February 2011, 7:31 am

This is a simple style that works for any occasion, especially dressy or formal ones. All you need are hairpins and a covered elastic band.Once the hair emerges from the scalp, the second key process is the retention of the ends of the hair. While hair emergence occurs independently, the process of length retention is often dependent on our own care methods and requires concentrated efforts.

normanorient

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top