Is this reasonable?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is this reasonable?

Post by DeM on 13th February 2011, 8:20 pm

The salon that I intend to go to for my big chop charges $35 and up to cut hair and $25 and up to pull product through my hair once they finish cutting. I've never been to a natural hair care salon so I am not sure if this is a reasonable price.

DeM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is this reasonable?

Post by LoveZaporiah on 13th February 2011, 9:43 pm

that sounds a bit crazy to me. i dont get my hair done that often but for a wash, flat iron, and trim I spend $45 at the most.
LoveZaporiah

View user profile http://lovezaporiah.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas on 13th February 2011, 9:49 pm

60 dollars? That sounds kinda wild. Not really the price, but the fact that its split it up in a way that charges you for putting products in.lol. you might wanna look around for a price your comfortable with, that way you'll feel comfotable building a relationship and going back should you need anything else. Hope that helps!! Smile
Mangos&Bananas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 on 13th February 2011, 10:30 pm

That sounds pretty high and weird especially the extra for them putting product i mean shouldn't they just charge for a cut /trim and style all together ? smh i would shop around a bit before i go
creolebeauty1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR on 14th February 2011, 1:24 am

$35 for hair cut ? Reasonable
$25 for products? No

Why don't she just charge $60 for a haircut, include products and styling like EVERY salon does and call it a day? I honestly wouldn't blink my eye, but it depends on the salon, location, etc. With her separating the services, I would pass.

I'm originally from the Bay Area and that would be a deal at a salon (assuming its a nice shop in a decent neighborhood). At a 5 & dime, "Pookie and 'em" type shop - that would be too much.
CarlaAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DeM on 14th February 2011, 11:28 am

Now that I have thought about what you all have said I see that it does seem a bit unreasonable. Like why can't I get a cut with product for a flat fee. I'll basically be paying 60 for a hair cut which is ridiculous. I can't see paying $25 for them to put half a palm of product on what will be my very very short hair.

I wish I was brave enough to cut it myself.

What about those chain salons that are in WalMart? Do you think they could do it? I chose this place because they specialize in natural hair and I wanted (for once in my life) to go to a stylist who appreciates and understands natural hair rather than one who can not comprehend why in the world I want kinky hair (I've experienced those before and it is frustrating). But I am not rich and no hair cut is worth $60.

If anyone lives in the Augusta GA area I'd love some salon recommendations.

DeM

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR on 14th February 2011, 2:48 pm

Going to a chain salon like Walmart, JCPenney, Super Cuts, (or in Portland a place called Bishops) is only as good as the person doing your hair. You can go to one location and have a great experience by a specific technician and go back to the same location, but different person and have a horrible experience. Research the person and their ability, not the location or salon (or race for that matter - my best natural hair hair cut was by a white woman with straight hair).

I would try to get referrals as you are now, but also call around and talk with someone about your hair to get an idea what their abilities are.
CarlaAR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NhappyJackie on 14th February 2011, 3:55 pm

Just weigh out your options honey. I tried to be cheap with my BC. Someone I knew religiously got their hair done by a particular person at a hair school. They said they would only charge me $5. So I went in and left with this:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Yeah...a hot mess. Then I ran so fast to the nearest natural salon and paid $60 to get it done right. I said that to say this....do your research. Sometimes you get what you paid for. But other times.....if you have family or friends that can learn from youtube and are willing to do it for free.....take them up on it.
NhappyJackie

View user profile http://members.fotki.com/jackiejones205/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by NeeC1 on 14th February 2011, 4:23 pm

Hello ladies:
I don't know how or why, but the SmartStyle (Walmart) salon near me is jam packed with "us". I'd been going there for 2 years before my stylist ventured out on her own. Sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised at who you can find in a chain salon. I wish you the best. If you can find someone of quality to do your hair, you'll hit the jackpot especially since they have standard/set prices.

~NeeC1
NeeC1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 14th February 2011, 5:19 pm

WTH? $25 to pull product through your hair? They must being giving you some to take home...? Neutral I'm sorry but I would have to pass. I actually got my last trim at SmartStyle. I agree with CarlaAR, if you can find a good technician, its like hitting pay dirt! I washed and flat ironed my hair before I went (this was before I knew you could cut it in its natural state). Just talk to them and be explicit about what you want and you should have no problems.
Ambitious_Tiff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel on 14th February 2011, 8:54 pm

My BC was $40 and included all cutting/styling. I even got a free product. The $35 is reasonable, IMO, but to charge to put product in your hair is absurd. That should be part of the styling package. Keep checking around and good luck!
DvaAuNaturel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by arhandy on 15th February 2011, 12:06 am

Well this may be old school, but my aunts (2 of them) cut off all my permed ends, it wasn't difficult to see where perm ended and kinky coils began, and a barber shaped it up for me afterwards. It was a big family event in my granny's front yard, and a family friend barber shaped it for 10 bucks then and I washed and moisturized it myself. It was pretty cool. Good luck and I hope it's a great experience for you!
arhandy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chynadoll8799 on 15th February 2011, 6:56 pm

25 dollars to pull product through your hair?
Run.....FAST....and FAR.....
shoot, I'll pull the product through your hair for the price of some good conversation and a learning experience. That seems a little ridiculous to me.
If they are doing this AFTER they cut your hair, why have it done? Have them cut your hair, and put your own product in and put your $25 in your pocket.:-) Laughing

chynadoll8799

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette on 15th February 2011, 7:05 pm

Have them cut, go home with a hat or scarf and use your own product
Ekaette

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content