Swimming's coming up in March for P.E....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swimming's coming up in March for P.E....

Post by aliyakeys on 11th February 2011, 10:54 pm

Ok, so here's the problem. I have first period P.E. at my high school, and I have swimming in about a month or so. The swimming unit lasts for 2 very loonngg weeks. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad So for pretty much the whole day, I'm going to have to walk around campus with chlorine in my hair. They will be giving us about 7 extra minutes to use the showers and rinse out our hair. But with my kind of hair, I already know I'm gonna be having to do more than just rinse it. So I really need to know what to do about this. I don't want my hair to be completely ruined to the point that I might as well chop it all of when the swimming unit is done with. Shocked

When my twin sister had P.E. last semester and had to swim, afterwards her hair was a wreck. Sad But I'm pretty convinced it's because she would go days without washing the chlorine out.(She later told me that that she did that on purpose so my mom would let her cut her hair because it was so damaged; yep, and my mom didn't let her cut her hair Very Happy)

My mom suggested that I just get cornrows and wear them for the 2 weeks that I have swimming. Then, when we get out of the pool, I'll just rinse out the braids. Would that be a good idea? Or should I skip the braids and just make do with my hair? But no matter what I do, I'll be wearing a Speedo cap.
Please help me out y'all. Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated. Very Happy

God Bless,
aliyakeys

~None are so blind as those who will not see.
aliyakeys

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/ikimonogakari2?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Re: Swimming's coming up in March for P.E....

Post by Madeaj on 12th February 2011, 12:13 am

You need to get a chlorine neutralizer for hair. There are some swimmers' shampoo and conditioners on the market. You might check a sports equipment store. I heard about a leave-in spray too. But I can''t remember the name of it, although it is probably sold in the sports store. I do know that soaking your hair with clean water before swimming will minimize the damage, but you really need to wash the chlorine out even if you do braids.
Madeaj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KamsMa82 on 12th February 2011, 1:33 am

I asked a similar question a few months ago. It was also mentioned that along with the swimmer's shampoo to get a good swim cap. I ordered one from swimoutlet.com after my friend who has three girls ages 2, 4, and 6 bought each of his daughter's one so they wouldn't mess their hair up on swim days...they worked like a charm for them. I just received my cap in the mail yesterday and will be trying it out this weekend. I will follow-up with how successful it was for me.

KamsMa82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BreezyBaby on 12th February 2011, 3:31 am

Buy a big bottle of a cheapie conditioner you like (Aussie, Suave, Herbal Essences, etc.). Before you get in the pool (either in the morning or in the shower at the pool), wet your and coat your hair in the conditioner.

After you come out of the pool, your will be very soft, but I recommend co-washing to get any residual chlorine out of your mane.

I've done this since I was a kid and it worked for me! : )
BreezyBaby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 on 12th February 2011, 11:57 am

Since you only get like 7 minutes to wash your hair after, I would suggest to wear cornrows, braids, twists, or some other style that is easy to rinse/wash after you get out the pool.
BajanPrincess82

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aliyakeys on 12th February 2011, 6:53 pm

@Madeaj Oh, a chlorine neutralizer? I've never heard of that before Neutral, but I'll be sure to check it out. Thank you! Very Happy Have you ever tried Infusium before you went into the pool? Because I've heard that that works too.

@KamsMa82 Yeah, I'll be sure to wear a swimming cap!

@BreezyBaby Yeah. I'm not sure if I'll be able to put conditioner on right before I get in the pool, but that'd be a good idea. Thanks!

@Bajan Princess82 I have a feeling that's what I'll be ending up doing because that's what my mom wants me to do. Thank You! Smile
aliyakeys

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/ikimonogakari2?feature=mhum

Back to top Go down

Post by exhale1913 on 12th February 2011, 11:38 pm

Hi! You should check out Newly Natural's blog ---> http://newlynatural.com/blog/ .

At the top of the page, she has a specific section titled "My Swimming Routine"

I'm sure you'll be able to get some good information/advice from her.

Good luck!!! I used to HATE P.E. LOL Evil or Very Mad
exhale1913

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola on 13th February 2011, 1:50 pm

Not sure if you used the internal search to find other threads on this issue, so here is one if you didn't see it: http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/t4197-swimming-and-natural-hair?highlight=swimming

Also, Aubrey Organics has a shampoo and conditioner especially formulated for swimmers. Their products are A-1! Whole Foods carry their products and you can go here to locate what stores carry their products in your area: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/store_locator.aspx

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peachtree on 13th February 2011, 6:38 pm

BreezyBaby wrote:Buy a big bottle of a cheapie conditioner you like (Aussie, Suave, Herbal Essences, etc.). Before you get in the pool (either in the morning or in the shower at the pool), wet your and coat your hair in the conditioner.

After you come out of the pool, your will be very soft, but I recommend co-washing to get any residual chlorine out of your mane.

I've done this since I was a kid and it worked for me! : )

Works for me as well Cool
Peachtree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 13th February 2011, 9:24 pm

I swim a lot. What you can do is apply some conditioner in your hair before you get in the pool. This will protect your hair from the chlorine and drying effect due to the chemicals. After you get out of the shower rinse your hair with water first then co wash it. If you don't have time for all of that then I suggest you apply conditioner in hair before you swim then rinse out the chlorine with water afterwards then immediately co wash soon as you get home. Also make sure during the weekends - either Saturday or Sunday to give your hair a good ACV rinse to get rid of any chlorine that maybe left in your hair.

You'll be fine.
Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top