CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

:: Lynnieluve ::

+51
bholmes87
MsJay1121
A85
BlakButterfli
afroangel#1
MahoganyCurls
jamaicacurl
BattleKat
NubieNatty
Serenity23
StephanieB
TerraD
NaturalChica
FemmeFox
tiashaunteƩ
BlondeByDesire
KinkyNappyHappy
p_nuttie43
Courtney
d.denise
SheeTacular
vmichelle
Pinkrage
cococurly
lena73
AfrikanLatina
Notthecoolmom
DanceOnTheSkylines
Curly Film Chick
CocaColaCutie
Leila
dajewel
LilMsPuddles
HumanNature
Juices-n-Berries
Blackbeauty
NaturalNixon
traveljunkie08
nmoultry
adiaha
lovesunshine17
sweetdrk1
Preezie
Freestyles
curly+kinky+fierce
Kea::curls
Intelligentbeauty
.:Eden:.
ChrsLvsBks
NylaCoils
Lynnieluve
55 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

:: Lynnieluve :: Empty :: Lynnieluve ::

Post by Lynnieluve 7th December 2009, 7:39 pm

I know this is SUPER long but it is the introduction.

I finally broke down and decided to join the Hair Challenge. I am on here all the time posting anyway so why not? right?

I guess I will start with what lead me up to wear I am now (4 months natural on the 9th). After I had my son, my hair started shedding. He was about 3 months old. It started with my edges first. I mean balded but my stylist at the time, was able to cover them very well so I wasn't really concerned at first. When he was about 5 months, my hair at the nape started breaking off on one side and slowly the other side. My stylist asked me if I was stressed and I told her no. She couldnt figure out why it was falling out either. She tried a few different treatments but nothing seem to work. The shedding increased too....like hair EVERYWHERE!! On the floor, in the sink, on my clothes, on my baby's clothes, in his diaper....EVERYWHERE!

So after all of this, guess what I decide to do? Get my highlights redone. Crazy right? The shedding got so bad, I had to get a hair cut to hide what was really going on. My stylist then told me, "Your hair is just going to shed." She just gave up on my hair. BTW, I was going to the salon once a week. She gave up but I didnt. I knew I had to do something different.

HINDSIGHT: For some reason after I had my son, my stylist started scheduling my relaxers every six weeks when I use to get them done every eight weeks. I am not saying that would have stopped my hair from falling out but I know that couldnt have help it.

I had always said I would go natural when I got older...like in my 50s. I've always loved and admire natural hair. What really got me thinking about it was a friend of minr posted a status on FB saying she was going back to her nappy roots and I thought, "Woo, you gotta have your mind right for that." I started to think about it just a little bit but I was like, "Nah!"

As time went on, I realized a lot of people around me were going natural. I was so discussed with my hair that when my stylist finished it, I didnt even look in the mirror to see how it had turned out. I would just pay her and leave. I finally posted a status on FB saying I was thinking about going natural and the best advice I got was to do my research. A week after I started my research I went to visit my BFF who is natural. The moment I saw her, I knew what I needed to do. When I got out of the car and hugged her, I said, "I'm doing it." She was like, "huh?" I told her I loved her hair and I was going to go natural. That was April 2009.

I continued to do my research on Curlynikki.com, newlynatural.com, nappturality.com and youtube. I knew right away I would not do a long transition. I wanted to have about an inch or more of hair and I would BC.

The weekend before I BC'd, I prepared myself. I got my eyebrows waxed, purchased some makeup (the first time since my wedding 4 and half years ago), gel and cutting shears. August 9, 2009 after church, I went in my bathroom and cut those relaxed end off after 4 months of transitioning. I have to say it was love at first site.

For the past 4 months, I'm getting to know my hair more and more each day. I am loving her and she is loving me back. I still have to pick a name for her. But that's my story.

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 7th December 2009, 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added to the description)
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

:: Lynnieluve :: Empty Re: :: Lynnieluve ::

Post by NylaCoils 8th December 2009, 1:41 pm

Congrats to you! Since, going natural has the shedding decreased?
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th December 2009, 2:14 pm

Of course you know there will always be shedding. The average amount of hair we should shed each day is 50-100 strands. Now that I am natural, I dont even have the "average" amount of shedding. It has improved dramatically.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th December 2009, 2:27 pm

Day 2:

So today I went to Walgreens this morning with a list of THREE things:
-moisturizer for my face
-contact solution
-Motrin for my son

Why did I come out of there with conditioner? Walgreens has a buy one get one free sale on Organix products. I purchased the Mandarin Olive Oil conditioner. I just ordered over $60 worth of Karens Body Beauty on CyberMonday. SMH....

On to my hair:
So I am rockin a 3 day old twist out (I used MJ baby buttercreme). Even though I really need to wash my hair, I think I am gonna just retwist it tonight and wear a puff for the rest of the week. I discovered last week I was able to pull my hair back in a "real" puff. See pic below:

:: Lynnieluve :: Hair_p10

:: Lynnieluve :: Hair_p11

I will probably wash my hair Friday. We'll see. That's all for now.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th December 2009, 12:16 pm

Day 3:

Do you know what today is? I've been natural 4 months!!! Yay!!! I was going to post some comparison pics but I am not feeling so great today. One word: SINUSES. I didnt even make it to the gym this morning. I did retwist my hair yesterday. The only thing I used was water. I will probably be back later if I feel up to it.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th December 2009, 11:32 pm

Congrats on your four month anniversary!

Your puff looks great.

Welcome to the challenge.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 9th December 2009, 11:51 pm

OMG!! I just love your puff. Soo cute, your hair looks nice and fluffy.

http://members.fotki.com/jhippolyte/about

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 9th December 2009, 11:51 pm

Thanks ChrsLvsBks and Eden!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 10th December 2009, 1:51 pm

Day 4:

I am still wearing the two strand twist. I havent really been anywhere and my sinuses are still kicking my butt. I was able to go to the gym this morning so I am happy about that.

So I went to the Kroger this morning and was so excited to go down the hair product aisle because when I was in there last, they were redoing the aisle. I am happy to announce I did not purchase anything!!! :: Lynnieluve :: 678474 They had new products too. There is this new line called Mirra. I told myself, I was not going to buy anymore hair products this year and so far I am sticking to it. But I have 21 more days to go. Wish me luck.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 10th December 2009, 6:29 pm

HAHAHA, that is funny. I have those moments too, that hair aisle just loves to call my name too. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 11th December 2009, 4:12 am

I just wanted to say your hair is growing so nicely. Keep up the good work :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th December 2009, 11:15 am

Thanks Intelligentbeauty!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th December 2009, 11:23 am

Day 5:

So I moisturized my twist with my shea butter mix (shea butter, coconut oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil (preservative), lemongrass and lavendar essential oil) last night. My twist are still in. I didnt make it to the gym this morning :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_cry . I didnt sleep well with all that coughing (my sinuses are draining - gross I know). I have to wash my hair tomorrow. I've never gone more than 10 days without washing my hair (even when I was relaxed). Today is day 7 and am starting to get the itchies. That's all for now and plus I feel like I'm babbling.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 11th December 2009, 10:25 pm

Day 5 update:

I took my two strand twist out. I am gonna wash my hair tomorrow so I decided to prepoo. This is only my third time trying to pre poo and I hope it turns out better than the first two attempts.

The first time I used ORS Replenishing Conditioner and the next morning my hair was dry and brittle. I think it was because of the protein in the condish. The second time I used Aussie Moist Condish - MY FAVORITE CONDISH - It didnt do anything special. I am looking for the moisturized, soft hair I always read about. So this time I am using VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream mixed with olive oil. I used a generous amount and did medium two strand twist. Put on my plastic cap, tied it down and put my bonnet on. I will give you my results on Monday. You ladies have a great weekend.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls 13th December 2009, 8:49 pm

my puff is in awe of your puff Shocked

:: beautiful! ::

i'm interested in seeing how the V05 works as a DT, that would save me so much $$$...

http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 13th December 2009, 8:55 pm

Thanks Kea::curls!

I will give a detail review tomorrow but I can say I got better results with the VO5 and olive oil than the Aussie Moist and the ORS Replenishing Conditioner.

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 13th December 2009, 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 13th December 2009, 8:59 pm

I use Vo5/honey/oil as a deep conditioner. I'm not sure if it's doing anything special though. I don't really feel any difference when I finish deep treatments. My hair seems to feel the same as if I did a co-wash. I don't know, I'll keep doing it though.

Back to top Go down

Post by curly+kinky+fierce 14th December 2009, 3:44 am

First of all I :: Lynnieluve :: Herz ur hair! It looks like mine! We look like sheep! Big clumped curls! anywho!...I just started using V05 as a leave in and i totally love ORS replenishing for co wash/deep condish...i love that conditioner!
curly+kinky+fierce
curly+kinky+fierce

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 1:09 pm

(Week 2 day 1)

Mood: I AM SO OVER IT RIGHT NOW!!!! I have been sick since I turned 32 last Sunday (Dec 6th). I am tired of coughing!! Darn sinuses. If I am not better by Wednesday, I am going to the doctor.

Hair Update:

Let me recap. Friday night I decided to pre poo-ing again. This time I used VO5 and olive oil. I put on a plastic cap, my do rag to tie it down and my bonnet. I have to say I was happy with the results. When I took the plastic cap off, I had soft, moisturized hair. :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_bounce

Saturday morning, I shampooed with Giovanni 50/50. Can you say stripped hair? Squeaky clean!!! HATED IT!!! I am starting to believe I need to eliminate shampoo (sulfate and sulfate free) from my regimen. :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_sad

The shampoo cancelled out my pre poo! I followed the shampoo with the Giovanni 50/50 conditioner. I still didnt like how my hair felt. The only other conditioner in the shower was my Creme of Nature Nourishing Conditioner so I used it. It helped a little bit but I still was not happy with the way my hair felt. :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_cry

I dried my hair using the plopping method. I used Beyond the Zone leave in conditioner (it's a spray), Creme of Nature Leave In Conditioner (which I will be giving away as soon as I get some more Giovanni Direct Leave In), and coconut oil. Picked my fro out and let it dry about 80-85%. I did medium two strand twist using my shea butter mix and let it completely dry. I untwisted my hair and currently wearing a puff.

For the new year, I am gonna have to get a solid regimen. I want to alternate between a moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner from week to week or as needed.

I have my staples for the following:

Moisturizing Conditioner: Aussie Moist Conditioner
Leave In Conditioner: Giovanni Direct Leave In/Beyond the Zone
Co-wash Conditioner: VO5 Moisture Milks and others
Oils: EVOO, EVCO, jojoba oil, vitamin E oil
Essential Oils:lemongrass, rosemary, lavendar
Others: Ecostyler gel (clear), Shea butter and veggie glycerin

HELP: I have castile soap I havent tried yet but I need suggestions for clarifying and a good deep conditioner.

Anyway, I hope you ladies have a Marvelous Monday!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 3:00 pm

I wanted to share pics of my birthday hair (yet another twist out using MJ Baby buttercreme) and the men I love - hubby and my son

:: Lynnieluve :: 32nd_b13

:: Lynnieluve :: 32nd_b14

:: Lynnieluve :: 32nd_b15
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by .:Eden:. 14th December 2009, 9:35 pm

Awww, you look soo pretty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 14th December 2009, 9:48 pm

Beautiful family :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_biggrin
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 14th December 2009, 10:40 pm

The birthday hair is great! I use MJ Baby Buttercreme as well...I know what people say about the ingredients and the price...but I just love that stuff!

--Reese :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_rr
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 14th December 2009, 11:18 pm

Thanks Curly+Kinky+ Fierce, Eden, Intelligentbeauty and Freestyles!!!

@ C+K+F - My hair use to love ORS Replenishing Conditioner when I was transitioning but not so much now :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_cry

@ Eden - I will add honey to my mix next time

@ Freestyles - My MJ Baby Buttercreme was a gift so as soon as it runs out, that's it for me. LOL!

Last edited by Lynnieluve on 15th December 2009, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : always proofread)
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 15th December 2009, 12:39 pm

(Week 2 Day 2)

Mood: I am feeling much better today!!! I even made it to the gym this moring!!! :: Lynnieluve :: Icon_biggrin

Hair: My hair is in a puff. :: Lynnieluve :: Sleep I am gonna co wash tomorrow and deep condition my hair with my new combo - VO5 conditioner and olive oil. I think I am gonna try to do two strand flat twist for a twist out. Last time I did it, it didnt turn out so great.

From this day forward I am going to stick to my regimen. Lately I have been all over the place with my hair. Just doing whatever I feel like doing at the moment. So here is my regimen.

Shampoo once a month
Protein treatment once a month (egg and mayo)
Co wash 1-2x a week
Oil rinse once a week
Deep condition weekly

My Big Sis (Shout to ChrsLvsBks) suggested I stick with this for 3 months and see how my hair reacts and that is what I am gonna do.

That's all for now!

Tomorrow, I will share my weight loss journey with you.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next