Insecurities..............

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insecurities..............

Post by Ren MoNae on 6th February 2011, 11:04 am

Hello Everyone,
I have recently done it, the inevitable BC!! I think there comes a time in every woman's life where they get sick and tired of the image staring back at them. They get tired of others telling them what is the best socially accepted look and that they should conform to that "LOOK" or not be accepted. I have gotten to the point where I said, ENOUGH is ENOUGH! I use to be the Queen of weaves and braids,most recently WIGS. Pretty much, anything that was not mine, it was not ME. I realize that I had self esteem issues, issues with the person staring back in the mirror and I continually ran to the baddest salons in NY and NJ for the best weaves and wigs. Until moving back home to Toronto, I had the strength and motivation from my natural sisters, beautiful family and my African Prince, who told me that I looked BEAUTIFUL! They made me take a hard look at me and come face to face with those INSECURITIES that have followed me my whole life and learn to love me all over again. My name means "Reborn" and for once in my life, I actually feel like I have been REBORN to a whole new ME! [img][/img][img][/img]
Ren MoNae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Insecurities..............

Post by Fleur on 6th February 2011, 11:55 am

Congratulations on the BC! Also, that was a beautiful story. If you have questions about caring for your fresh chop, there are plenty of us here who would be happy to assist you! Welcome to CN!!! woot!
Fleur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meepmeep1101 on 6th February 2011, 11:57 am

That is awesome! I know that feeling! I always use to feel that my hair defined me in a way. I looked gorgeous with long hair (16inch extensions or a wig [everyone thought it was my real hair]), but soon after I while I wanted my own long hair, and healthy hair, and I did not want to hide from anyone. People still talk about me for going natural, but I don't care because It is what I wanna do and I'm tired of conforming to the Media's or the majority of how the world views beauty. I'm still in the process of accepting myself, but it gets a little easier everyday. You go Sista! Smile
meepmeep1101

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Emartini04 on 6th February 2011, 12:23 pm

Congrats to you king
Emartini04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kea::curls on 6th February 2011, 3:26 pm

Congrats on the :::::::::::::::::::::::: BC !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and new found happiness in accepting yourself Smile
Kea::curls

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/KeaCurls/

Back to top Go down

Post by fanmnatirel on 6th February 2011, 4:34 pm

Congrats missy! I'm sure you'll enjoy your journey...
I know i am loving everything about it...lol...

Stay fly and confident...
fanmnatirel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by funkyhairchic on 6th February 2011, 5:39 pm

Congrats, chica! You made a great decision! It will feel a little out of your comfort zone at first, but give it a few days you'll feel much better about it. Word of advice, although you may be feel insecure about your cut, don't ever let that show out in public. Throw on a fly outfit with some fierce earrings and strut your stuff like you own it! Confidence is attractive. You look beautiful and it will only get better. The fun starts now!
funkyhairchic

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by creolebeauty1 on 6th February 2011, 5:43 pm

congrats to you and happy growing
creolebeauty1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by QuirkyCurly on 6th February 2011, 5:58 pm

Congrats! Best of luck to you Smile
QuirkyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 on 6th February 2011, 6:17 pm

Congratulations Ren and as Fluer stated, the women on this board are awesome and are here to help you with your journey. I know you didn't ask for advice, but what helped me in my natural journey is:
1. Have patience with your hair
2. Get to really know your hair and not compare it to someone else's hair
3. Simplicity can be a blessing when it comes to products. KISS (keep it simple sista) Very Happy

Peace and Blessings and welcome again to the world of naturally you.
ajsimmons8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ren MoNae on 6th February 2011, 7:44 pm

You all have such kind words of wisdom and encouragement. Can I be honest with y'all since you have become my new found family? I have been wearing hats a work everyday since because I am getting comfortable with the transition of no hair and it is COLD outside. Everyone one at my job keeps asking me what's wrong and some who know keeps asking when I am going to reveal my new haircut. When is the right time to reveal my hair? When will I ever get comfortable? Especially since I have some trouble areas that I have not grown out as the other parts.

~Ren~
Ren MoNae

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajsimmons8 on 6th February 2011, 7:57 pm

Hi Ren, I hope you don't mind me saying but you have a beautiful face. I can understand about the insecurities of showing the world your hair and I hope you see the beauty that is you right now, with or without hair. I myself did not have to do a BC, however due to unkind words from certain members of my family, what got me through the tough insecure times was:
1. Listening to India Arie's song "I am not my hair" over and over and over
2. watching the YouTube videos of other natural beauties
3. Joining a forum such as this one to find support and encouragement.

Oh, and I also discovered a new found love affair with headbands and earrings. flower

Read through the forums on here for inspiration and don't hesitate to ask questions, or yell for help when needed.
ajsimmons8

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum