Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Go down

Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Post by EastAfricanCurly on 1st February 2011, 4:10 pm

Hi curlies,

I have PCSO and I was diagnosed very recently. I'm still trying to find out what lifestyle changes I need to make i.e. my diet, exercising and trying for a baby.

I was wondering if any of you have PCSO too and how you're dealing with it and what problems you've encountered and how you're keeping PCSO in control.

Thanks guys Very Happy

EastAfricanCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Post by AJanae531 on 6th February 2011, 10:50 am

Hello!
I have PCOS also. I was diagnosed when I was 15, I'm now 27 years old. I may not be able to answer everything as thoroughly as I should, because I'm supposed to be getting ready for church. I will answer what I can and come back for more.
A great support site with lots of information is soulcysters.com and it's forum soulcysters.net--the founder has PCOS and talks about how she reversed her symptoms. It's nice to know that others are going through the same stuff.
This is what worked for me:
Diet: the best diet would be whole foods (vegetables, fruit, whole grains, beans/nuts/seeds/legumes and lean protein). Remember to drink at least 64 ounces of purified water, and consume lots of fiber rich food. Keep salts, sugars, and additives to a minimum. HOWEVER, treat yourself once a week (or what you can handle) to a favorite treat. Some people find success with specific diet plans. For weight loss, I counted calories and ate a whole foods diet.
It is important to remember that food is medicine...the types of food you put into your body can have an either good or bad effect on your body or the way you feel.
Also, eat smaller meals throughout the day. I ate anywhere from 4 to 6 times per day. It keeps the metabolism going, and you never feel starved.

Exercise: For exercise, I worked out at home, or I did a walk/run in my neighborhood for about 3 miles per day, plus additional strength exercises.
I exercised for about 1.5 to 2 hrs per day. This may seem like a lot, but for a woman who has a hard time losing weight, this is how I got results.
I used Chalene Johnson's Turbo Jam Cardio Party 1 or 2 as my cardio. This is intense, interval based exercise, and the music is fun!
For strength, I used Turbo Jam strength dvd (I forget the title, but it came with the cardio party dvds).
I also used Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, and she has two others, No More Trouble Zones and Boost Metabolism Burn Fat that are excellent.
I usually did a cardio dvd 2x per day on cardio days; on strength days, I did a cardio dvd and a strength dvd.
I worked out 6 days per week.
Results:
I lost 20 lbs.
My cycles are now regular without birth control
My moods are better.
I still have about 15 more lbs to lose to get to my goal weight, but this is what worked for me so far.

As far as conceiving children, it is possible...my daughter Makayla is almost 5 years old...she was a surprise...but I was taking Metformin at the time.

Medicine: I am currently not on medicine of any kind, including birth control. There are insulin sensitizing meds like Metformin, which help with fertility and weight loss. There are antiandrogens, like Aldactone, helps with excess hair growth or hair loss (on your head). And of course birth control, which "regulates" your cycles.

I will say this much, I have been on all three meds before, but I didn't see results until I changed my diet and began exercising. When I began my diet/exercise regimen, I was taking Yasmin and Aldactone. I may revisit the Aldactone. I'm not a fan of birth control, simply because I usually have TERRIBLE mood swings and end up on an antidepressant or anti anxiety pill. They are just not for me.

I hope this helps. I have to go but I will add more when I get back.
AJanae531

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 on 6th February 2011, 11:59 pm

That was alot of useful information!

Last edited by blkbeauty2010 on 17th February 2011, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
blkbeauty2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EastAfricanCurly on 10th February 2011, 2:53 pm

Wow. Just wow! Thank you SOOO much for all of this information AJanae531! SoulCysters is a pretty informative website. I'm also going to have a blood test tomorrow to check my hormone levels to confirm it for sure and also to see how bad my PCOS is.

Thanks!

EastAfricanCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by normanorient on 17th February 2011, 7:50 am

Polycystic ovary syndrome is a condition in which there is an imbalance of a woman's female sex hormones. I think it is one of the most common female endocrine disorders affecting approximately 5%-10% of women of reproductive age.

normanorient

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down