CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the Journey

2 posters

Go down

New to the Journey Empty New to the Journey

Post by naturalcam 30th January 2011, 4:43 pm

Hi everyone!
I'm Camille and I have been relaxer free for about 2 and half almost 3 months. I can't remember the exact date of my last perm, but I think it was sometime in November before Thanksgiving.

I tried to go natural last year and didn't get a perm from Feb 2010, until I finally broke down and got one in May 2010. At that time, I knew nothing about natural hair care, styles, products, nothing!!
This time around I had several friends that are well into their journey so I talked to them about it and they turned me on to Curlynikki.com
I didn't know this existed and I'm wishing that I would have known last year....just think how much further along I could have been....hindsight is 20/20....

I look forward to learning sooo much from you ladies on the website and also helping out my sistas that come after me!!

Can't wait!! Smile
naturalcam
naturalcam

Back to top Go down

New to the Journey Empty Re: New to the Journey

Post by naturallynola 30th January 2011, 5:36 pm

Welcome aboard Camille. The best advise I can give you that should make your journey as frustration free as possible is 1) arm yourself with knowledge (do your research) 2) arm yourself with a ton of patience (remember its a trial and error thing and that is the way it is) 3)Keep a hair journal (it will take some time to know what your hair responds to and how it responds) The latest, greatest hair product may not work for your hair. By keeping accurate notes on what you use, what other products you use with it, was your hair wet, damp, dry, first 5 ingredients in the products you use, etc. will save you because you will see patterns 4) Make sure your expectations are reasonable (a hair style may look totally different on someone else, work within the capabilities of your hair's texture, porosity, hair needs, etc., hair only grows so long and there is no miracle hair grower, etc.) Healthy scalp and moisturized hair will lead to hair growth up to our genetic potential (different for all, but 1/2 inch per month, on average). What we do after it has grown will lead to hair retention or not. This last point is major.

Last edited by naturallynola on 30th January 2011, 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar error)

naturallynola

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalcam 31st January 2011, 1:54 am

Thanks so much @natruallynola for your words of wisdom. I have been keeping a journal of sort so far to write down styles and products that I want to try, as well as Tips and websites that I want to check into.

I plan to buy some new products this week based on the ones I've read about and have been referred to by friends. I have been using Tresemme' shampoo and conditioner but because of the sulfate in the shampoo, I read its best to find something minus this ingredient...

I know I have a problems with dryness regarding my hair so mosturizer has been my mantra...

Also being realistic on what to expect of things....I know nothing happens overnight...I just have to remain focused on that fact.
naturalcam
naturalcam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down