CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slow Growing Hair Help

+16
dajewel
luvmenatural
CurlyCaramelCutie
gammainme
loveself247
Delta87
krenea
cutephantasm
svrbrownsuga
natural83
*CurlyNikki*
satindoll
Mzbush
CocoEuro
Afrosaxon
JORIE
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Slow Growing Hair Help - Page 2 Empty is heredity an issue?

Post by CurlyCaramelCutie 10th November 2009, 6:29 pm

gammainme wrote:Do you all think that hereditary can keep you from growing hair? Someone said to me. I'm not ready to throw the towel, but i just wonder. I dont have much hair on my body ( im 28 and still dont need to shave my legs), my lashes are short...i was just wondering- what do you all think?
i've wondered this also....i'm thinking genes MUST play a role but maybe just in your texture? that being said, i don't have hair like my mother OR my father so go figure!? at any rate...i'm a little frustrated with my hair and it's lack of growth (seemingly)! i got my APL hair cut into a bob for my birthday in march after getting it pressed. why?!?!?!? well, i had been coloring my hair on and off since i BC'd in 2003 and the textures were SO different between the new growth/virgin hair and colored hair that is was frustrating to look at and deal with. so i got all of the colored parts cut off, at least a good 5-7 inches and now i'm back to this ear-length hair (when curly instead of straight)
i keep telling myself, "it's healthier now....it'll grow back" but jeez....i've been taking biotin for over a year and honestly i don't know if it works or not!
i'll make sure i incorporate scalp massages and start "sealing" my ends since the biggest part of growing my hair has been length retention. i always cover it at night w/ either a satin scarf or bonnet in addition to sleeping on a satin pillowcase. i have a spray that i use w/ rosemary tea, rosemary eo and some cheapy condish that i use when my hair feels/look dry. i've been using a cream by curls.biz but recently ordered plain ol' shea butter since that seems to be getting a lot of good reviews. the whipped cream kind of leaves a hard film even though it has ok ingredients. we'll see....
anyway, to reiterate as a scientist, i DO think heredity plays a role in our hair but growth may be more of an environmental issue...so i think there's hope for you yet gammainme! that's just my opinion...
CurlyCaramelCutie
CurlyCaramelCutie

Back to top Go down

Slow Growing Hair Help - Page 2 Empty Re: Slow Growing Hair Help

Post by luvmenatural 18th November 2009, 9:17 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] You may want to try Biotin and Iron. I am researching different Essential Oils and Carrier oils for my hair since I plan to start my own natural hair and skin products line. I love Clary sage essential oils. You may also want to look into some Chinesse Herbal remedies such as capsicum, ginger and Sheng Fa or any other herb that stimulates blood flow, since this is where the hair begins its growth cycle. If you eat to many processed foods, sodas or refined sugars, the blood is unable to carry nutrients to the follicle and instead will go to other parts of the body where it needed, thus forgoing the hair follicles, which is needed for healthy hair growth.
luvmenatural
luvmenatural

http://luvmenatural.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 18th November 2009, 10:26 pm

my hairdresser (gammainme, Ms. Daphne at Art Tech) said to have any clue with how your hair will look, feel, act, etc to look at your mother's (and not your father). she said the maternal gene influences our hair more than the paternal gene.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 20th November 2009, 9:09 am

gamm, i've never shaved my legs and my body hair grows hella slow too (i shave my underarms every 3-4 mos) but my hair never had a problem growing. even when i had a perm i can be bald one day and a year later have a my hair to my chin! as of now i cant keep my hands out my head, which maybe a factor so once i get to a few inches im gonna get micro's for 3 months to give my hair a break!

krenea, i gotta try the peppermint in the EO and whoooo ATTEMPT to walk for 1.5hour walk, how do u stay motivated that long? after 30 min im bored and i end up back in the house watchin whatever shows i need to catch up on!
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by JORIE 5th December 2009, 11:41 pm

Sorry it took me so long to reply ladies, been really busy. Thanks to all you lovely ladies who replied and thanks for the wonderful suggestions. Happy hair growing to all and I will def. try all of your suggestions.
JORIE
JORIE

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 6th December 2009, 1:03 am

dajewel wrote:my hairdresser (gammainme, Ms. Daphne at Art Tech) said to have any clue with how your hair will look, feel, act, etc to look at your mother's (and not your father). she said the maternal gene influences our hair more than the paternal gene.

I would have to disagree with that, my hair is nothing like my mothers except for color. Almost everything about me is just like my father especially with my third most like quality being my hair.
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 8th December 2009, 9:04 am

So, can someone tell me how to use peppermint oil? I'm always on a mission to grow my hair. When I tell people I've been natural for over 2 years, they ask "Why do you keep cutting it? Let it grow." I'm NOT cutting it! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] lol

I just ordered something a girlfriend told me about called MegaTek. I've read about it on other forums and I ordered a sample to give it a try. I've been taking Biotin as well, though I haven't noticed much of a difference. My nails don't grow either at all. I'm wondering if my diabetes (I'm Type 1, insulin-dependent) has anything to do with this?

I'm thinking like someone else said, that it's genetics. I barely have eyebrows and I don't have to shave my legs either. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 8th December 2009, 2:47 pm

@BlakButterfli Growing your hair definitely takes time and patience! I haven't used the peppermint oil, but I hear its great and stimulates the scalp...so I may be investing in that soon.

I also recently started taking Biotin with MSM. I will say that you have to consistently take it, and over a period of a few months is when they say you'll see growth results. But I immediately noticed a difference in my nails, so Im not sure why you haven't. You may want to consult with your doctor about your diabetes medication that may be affecting the results of other supplements...just in case!

I've learned so much since I've been on this site, and have seen so many naturals that have grown their hair from short, to long! My advice to you is to stay on these forums, and ask questions girl! These ladies give great advice! It may be something that you may need to tweak in your hair regimen that may be the reason you're not achieving hair growth!

Good luck girl!
natural83
natural83

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 8th December 2009, 3:05 pm

Thanks @natural83. I have taken Biotin before, but must admit it was sporadic. I'd remember and take it steadily for a week and then forget. lol And I'm as impatient as the day is long, so maybe I'm being taught a lesson with this hair of mine. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Right now, I don't really have a regimem. I plait my hair each night while it's wet and I use Carol's Daughter's Healthy Hair Butter with it. It seperates the strands, gives them a nice wavy/curl pattern and the hold is a little stronger. I untwist the next day, slap a headband in it and I'm out the door. I deep condition once a week and use Organix Shea Butter Conditioner to co-wash, usually every other day or when my hair is just feeling dirty. Also, if I have product build-up or itchy scalp, I will use an ACV rinse.

You think any of that could be hindering my growth?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by satindoll 8th December 2009, 3:48 pm

Your regimen sounds fine, It sounds similar to mine right now, but I've also never had a problem growing my hair.

It may be possible that your hair will retain length better while it's in protective styles like finger/comb coils, twists, or box braids. Styles that you can keep in for a few weeks at a time. How long is your hair?
satindoll
satindoll

http://public.fotki.com/buttaflyy23

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 8th December 2009, 3:56 pm

satindoll wrote:Your regimen sounds fine, It sounds similar to mine right now, but I've also never had a problem growing my hair.

It may be possible that your hair will retain length better while it's in protective styles like finger/comb coils, twists, or box braids. Styles that you can keep in for a few weeks at a time. How long is your hair?

Satin - if my hair were like yours - I wouldn't have a word to say! It's beautiful. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

To answer your question - no clue. lol My profile pic is about a year or so old. I think it's about 4"-5" at its longest. I had it straigthened once and my hair is EXTREMELY fine and I was having to flat iron it each day to keep the look and I haven't straightened it since.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by satindoll 8th December 2009, 4:09 pm

Thanks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

It sounds like your hair will do best in protective styles. There was a point where I wanted my hair to retain length better so I wore it in twists (no added hair) for the months of November, December, and January last year. I only retwisted once a month and I washed and redid the edges 1x a week. I gained a few inches pretty quickly.

If you maintain protective styles and do everything that you plan to do (products and vitamins) I'm sure you be able to maintain some length. Just be sure to protect your ends at all costs! Especially during this horrible winter weather.
satindoll
satindoll

http://public.fotki.com/buttaflyy23

Back to top Go down

Post by labon10 8th December 2009, 4:28 pm

Your first step should be with your doctor/dermatologist (sp?). Maybe it's your meds. When you are on meds, you have to be careful about other products you use, even vitamins.

How long did your hair grow when you were permed? You did not mention breakage or split ends, so is your hair fairly healthy?

I haven't used peppermint oil yet, but think rosemary oil does the same thing. My spritz consists of 100% aloe vera gel, rosemary water and a few drops of rosemary eo.

labon10

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 8th December 2009, 8:04 pm

labon10 wrote:Your first step should be with your doctor/dermatologist (sp?). Maybe it's your meds. When you are on meds, you have to be careful about other products you use, even vitamins.

How long did your hair grow when you were permed? You did not mention breakage or split ends, so is your hair fairly healthy?

I haven't used peppermint oil yet, but think rosemary oil does the same thing. My spritz consists of 100% aloe vera gel, rosemary water and a few drops of rosemary eo.

Well, I'm on insulin. I'm a Type I diabetic, so I don't take any oral medications. So, if it's the insulin, my hair will be this way for life since I can't stop taking it. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

My hair was just past my neck when it was permed - so that's why I'm thinking it was genetics. But, I had the type of hair that I could go almost 4 months without perming it and it wouldn't be "nappy" so I was hoping that going natural would allow it to grow longer than that.

After I cut off the color you see in my Avatar, my hair got healthier. I think at this time, it's the healthiest it's been since I went natural. I'm going to go to Whole Foods (we have a Sprouts nearby, but their health/body section is not as large) and see what they may have as well. Maybe stronger vitamins?
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2