Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 19th January 2011, 10:28 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:lol that's fine i have been glued to this PC since i got off work CN is jumping tonight lol .. yes i'm Haitian and i was born in the Dominican -Republic my father is Dominican hey does that mean i can use mixed chicks ? i'm mixed LOL jk

lol
Sa Passe, Bonswa, Port, Tanpri, and Me Regret sa <----- all the Hatian Kreyol words I know. lol!

My hubby was born in Haiti and he HATES the way America portrays Haiti as a 3rd world country (or 4th world as some guy said today). I swear every time a Haitian comes on TV or Haiti is mentioned, he goes into a tissy. I was wondering how you felt about it.
avatar
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Posts : 292
Join date : 2010-12-10
Age : 27
Location : Anchorage, AK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 10:34 pm

But what exaclt is mixed chicks hair looks like ? dark and lovely is targeting dark skin women i suppose but to do waht to relax their hair , so in itself is a whole other topic I always thought African pride name on a relaxer was pretty stupid as well ... and many people with locks use butters for their dreads and i will take that as targeting people with dreads but mixed chicks for hair product doesn't make any sense no one seem to be able to give me the one answer i crave what exactly does mixed chicks hair look like ? like seriously
As far as the growing up process i agree i grew up that way and feel as beautiful as other women but what about the ones that don't due to everything else they have been exposed to what about kids teasing each other based on hair and color they gey those notions from their parents i can do everything for my child to grow up without those notions but all it takes is one exposure to that ignorance and i will be back to square one it take years to built but 1 minute to destroy
Over all i agree with the let it go part but how can we let go of something many won't even admit exist ?
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 10:38 pm

i think Haiti was pre destin to be the way it is right now and might sadly get worst because of so many strikes we hold against us as a country as it is and to top it all of you get the corrupt folks that care more about their pockets than the well bein of that country it's sad to watch the demise of my country
You have some good words lol have you been there ?
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by CarlaAR on 19th January 2011, 10:41 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:
creolebeauty1 wrote:lol that's fine i have been glued to this PC since i got off work CN is jumping tonight lol .. yes i'm Haitian and i was born in the Dominican -Republic my father is Dominican hey does that mean i can use mixed chicks ? i'm mixed LOL jk

lol
Sa Passe, Bonswa, Port, Tanpri, and Me Regret sa <----- all the Hatian Kreyol words I know. lol!

My hubby was born in Haiti and he HATES the way America portrays Haiti as a 3rd world country (or 4th world as some guy said today). I swear every time a Haitian comes on TV or Haiti is mentioned, he goes into a tissy. I was wondering how you felt about it.

I know you weren't asking me, but that's exactly what I thought Haiti was. Its not just what has happened in the past year, but it's what I've been taught in school, etc. If Haiti isn't a 3rd world country in need of financial support and volunteers, what is it?
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 38
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 19th January 2011, 10:55 pm

creolebeauty1 wrote:i think Haiti was pre destin to be the way it is right now and might sadly get worst because of so many strikes we hold against us as a country as it is and to top it all of you get the corrupt folks that care more about their pockets than the well bein of that country it's sad to watch the demise of my country
You have some good words lol have you been there ?

No, but I'm begging my hubby to take me there. He's trying to teach my the language. But That's how it seems to me also but he hates when the 'We are the World' commercials come on with the staving kids. He's so proud of his country.

CarlaAR wrote:
Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:
creolebeauty1 wrote:lol that's fine i have been glued to this PC since i got off work CN is jumping tonight lol .. yes i'm Haitian and i was born in the Dominican -Republic my father is Dominican hey does that mean i can use mixed chicks ? i'm mixed LOL jk

lol
Sa Passe, Bonswa, Port, Tanpri, and Me Regret sa <----- all the Hatian Kreyol words I know. lol!

My hubby was born in Haiti and he HATES the way America portrays Haiti as a 3rd world country (or 4th world as some guy said today). I swear every time a Haitian comes on TV or Haiti is mentioned, he goes into a tissy. I was wondering how you felt about it.

I know you weren't asking me, but that's exactly what I thought Haiti was. Its not just what has happened in the past year, but it's what I've been taught in school, etc. If Haiti isn't a 3rd world country in need of financial support and volunteers, what is it?

By definition, I'm sure it is. I've never been but my hubby spent his childhood there and from his stories, he says its not as bad as the media would have you believe. I just think its kinda crazy that all this 'help' came after the earthquake when, like you said, it's been like that for a while. It comes off as the 'cause' of the moment.

avatar
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Posts : 292
Join date : 2010-12-10
Age : 27
Location : Anchorage, AK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by CarlaAR on 19th January 2011, 10:59 pm

Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:
creolebeauty1 wrote:i think Haiti was pre destin to be the way it is right now and might sadly get worst because of so many strikes we hold against us as a country as it is and to top it all of you get the corrupt folks that care more about their pockets than the well bein of that country it's sad to watch the demise of my country
You have some good words lol have you been there ?

No, but I'm begging my hubby to take me there. He's trying to teach my the language. But That's how it seems to me also but he hates when the 'We are the World' commercials come on with the staving kids. He's so proud of his country.

CarlaAR wrote:
Mandi'sGoneCurly! wrote:
creolebeauty1 wrote:lol that's fine i have been glued to this PC since i got off work CN is jumping tonight lol .. yes i'm Haitian and i was born in the Dominican -Republic my father is Dominican hey does that mean i can use mixed chicks ? i'm mixed LOL jk

lol
Sa Passe, Bonswa, Port, Tanpri, and Me Regret sa <----- all the Hatian Kreyol words I know. lol!

My hubby was born in Haiti and he HATES the way America portrays Haiti as a 3rd world country (or 4th world as some guy said today). I swear every time a Haitian comes on TV or Haiti is mentioned, he goes into a tissy. I was wondering how you felt about it.

I know you weren't asking me, but that's exactly what I thought Haiti was. Its not just what has happened in the past year, but it's what I've been taught in school, etc. If Haiti isn't a 3rd world country in need of financial support and volunteers, what is it?

By definition, I'm sure it is. I've never been but my hubby spent his childhood there and from his stories, he says its not as bad as the media would have you believe. I just think its kinda crazy that all this 'help' came after the earthquake when, like you said, it's been like that for a while. It comes off as the 'cause' of the moment.


Unfortunately, it took a catastrophic event to alert the world (not just the US) the state of the country. I guess some help is better than none, no? Better late then never?
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 38
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 11:05 pm

The worst part about that is they said they collected 2 billion dollars after the earthquake but the people that lost their home are still under those tents and so on not much has been done
HAIti wasn't always a third world country , it was the first black independent country who's currency in the late 70's was worth just as much as the US i honestly cannot say what happened but we went from being "la perle des antilles " meaning the paradise on earth of all islands to what it is now and it seems to gradually be getting worst i wish you would of been there before this whole ordeal but it's not to late hopefully you get to visit soon eat some "lambi " fo me conch lol my favorite
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by DaButterflyBAP on 19th January 2011, 11:25 pm

Poor marketing. Poor business sense.

Are they a large-scale distributor? Are they a mom and pop?

Taking part of this foolishness dilutes their brand. They can be pro-purple skin, but ultimately they should be pro-$$$$. Smart business owners know that they should not make any moves that could isolate or offend their customers and potential customers. You don't want to shrink your customer base..You want to grow!

What dumb-dumbs! Instead of focusing on skin color, it appears that they should focus on developing a marketing/social media plan.
avatar
DaButterflyBAP

Posts : 121
Join date : 2010-06-04
Location : St. Louis

View user profile http://butterflybap.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 11:30 pm

Thank you and i agree @ miss dabutterly
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by prettyporsche_ on 19th January 2011, 11:34 pm

Light skinned vs dark skinned, I'm sad to say, will probably never disappear. But one thing I can say is that I know I'm the ish REGARDLESS of what skin tone I am lol
avatar
prettyporsche_

Posts : 67
Join date : 2010-10-08
Age : 25
Location : Mobile, AL

View user profile http://facebook.com/porsche.olivia

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 20th January 2011, 1:04 am

creolebeauty1 wrote:But what exaclt is mixed chicks hair looks like ? dark and lovely is targeting dark skin women i suppose but to do waht to relax their hair , so in itself is a whole other topic I always thought African pride name on a relaxer was pretty stupid as well ... and many people with locks use butters for their dreads and i will take that as targeting people with dreads but mixed chicks for hair product doesn't make any sense no one seem to be able to give me the one answer i crave what exactly does mixed chicks hair look like ? like seriously

So why is it okay to target dark skinned women as opposed to those of mixed race? To me targeting those of mixed race seems a bit more inclusive... Are they saying that the perm will only work on people that are "dark skinned"? How dark are we talking? Are we talking dark skinned blacks or dark skinned indians or both or neither? Is that inclusive of only soft midnight tones or does it extend to those of a more caramel persuasion? Are you saying its a different subject simple b/c Mixed Chicks do not offer a perm or b/c the Dark and Lovely product in question is a perm? What exactly is the answer you crave??

The point I was making is that we are all mixed in some way. That's why I implore you to look around. See the bigger picture. Even in looking at their website, they did not profess to DEFINE what mixed chicks' hair looks like other than to say if you use our product, your curls will look well defined. They even said it works for weaves so clearly they are trying to expand their reach beyond those with naturally curly or kinky hair. The founders are MIXED. They showcase users of their products and the hair types highlighted run the gamut from Macy Gray to Traci Ellis Ross. Am I defending the statement they made on Twitter? No. I am defending their rights and decisions (no matter how foolish) as business people to market their product as they wish.
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 20th January 2011, 1:16 am

I do not think targeting any group in particular well let me rephrase i don't think targeting ethnicities it's a good strategy to get customers because complexions even race do not determine hair type that's my point and that's why i think Mixed chick and any other companies targeting people's race to sell product it's pretty stupid , the answer i crave and would love to ask those people behind mixed chicks WTH does mixed chicks hair looks like exactly because mixed people come in every shade hair type and so on so we can clearly see they did not think of their name and demographic very well , you are right they are entitled to make stupid marketing decisions but i'm also entitled to point it out
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 20th January 2011, 1:42 am

Lol, you'll be pointing til your finger falls off then! There's a whole section in Wal-Mart dedicated to "ethnic" hair. I hope you're pointing at those manufacturers too. Lol, I thought I answered your question 2x. Guess not.
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by NylaCoils on 20th January 2011, 1:49 am

@Creolebeauty- #TEAMTRANSITION is part of #TEAMNATURAL cheers woot! afro
avatar
NylaCoils

Posts : 1628
Join date : 2009-10-25
Age : 50
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 20th January 2011, 1:56 am

@ ambitious as long as i got breath in my body that's what i will be doing and honestly i don't really buy "ethnic products " anymore I like Giovanni and jane carter because they don't target a group of people and are natural product plus as you know i mix my own stuff lol but it was nice talk to you and everyone else before i leave one more time MIXED cHIcKS sucks lol
YAY for #teamnatural Smile
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 20th January 2011, 1:59 am

LOL! Girl you are a mess! I second that emotion. GO #teamnatural !! dance
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 20th January 2011, 2:01 am

Please, please, please don't interpret my argument to mean I endorse the #team light #team dark debate. I think it is silly...

I just think everyone should be able to embrace their individuality without being lumped under one category. If a product claims that one size fits all, I am sure it won't fit some people...if another product claims to cure a cough, I am sure it will not work for everyone...I think your quest to be politically correct with denying the existance of or denying commonalities between biracial children is denying that they even exist. Mixed is everything between both extremes...not bone straight or extremely curly...so there is a range...So no Mixed is not 1 texture, but if you mate a person with tightly coiled hair with someone with straight hair, chances are...you will produce something in the middle of the 2...

By-the-way, I think team light v. Team dark is just as silly as team natural v. Team other or team relaxed...it is the same thing...


Last edited by Indigo.Blue on 20th January 2011, 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by KandyLandKurls on 20th January 2011, 2:22 am

[iFinally, a curl-defining system for "us". Whether you're black, white, asian, latin, mediterranean, or any glorious combination of the above, you'll love the way these non-sticky, lightweight products leave your hair inviting to touch as they define and lock moisture into every curl. Be a proud part of our multiracial movement..."MIXED CHICKS" your curls! And yes, it works on weaves.
^ This was taken straight off their website, Mixed Chicks is a Curl Defining Product, and the first race they listed was BLACK. People who are biracial/multiracial have a wide range of hair types and MANY, not all, have some form of frizz, curls and dryness and this product is aimed to tame and define their hair. I don't understand how there are so many products aimed for Africans, Jamaicans, Whites and in eastern countries Asians. But when there is a company who is trying to cater to all thee above, they get flack because of their name. When it comes to the #team situation. Everyone focused on their 1 tweet, when in fact they have released many numerous tweets "Team CURLY, Team BLASIAN, Team MIXED, Team PUERTORICAN, Team NATURAL, Team BEAUTIFUL CURLS. Yet, the drama starters totally ignored the *Team NATURAL tweet* which is clearly aimed for AA's, who may have kinky, tightly coiled hair.
-Quoted from their tweet "Skin and hair come in an unlimited number of shades and texture combinations, we celebrate all of them!"

I say let it go, and stop making more of 1 little tweet. At the end of the day, light skin and dark skin people are the same race in the eyes of caucasians. It doesnt matter who picked cotton in the field, and who cleaned the master's house. We all were raped, killed and torn from our families and their livestock was far more important than any of us. It's about time we quit the light VS dark and unite and move forward!
avatar
KandyLandKurls

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 20th January 2011, 2:39 am

Yes KandyLandKurls!!! Well said...it is a totally different story when you see the whole story...that supports my theory that one can say team natural without uproar, but to shout out other groups is a sin...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by KandyLandKurls on 20th January 2011, 3:03 am

Thank you Indigo, let someone say Team Relaxed, all heck would break loose LOL It's not right how people focus on one piece of the story and not read or know the entire story.
avatar
KandyLandKurls

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by KandyLandKurls on 20th January 2011, 3:05 am

Btw if anyone would like to try Mixed Chicks for free, click on the link in my siggy.
(and YES, I just did a shameless plug ) LOL tongue
avatar
KandyLandKurls

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 20th January 2011, 3:37 am

LMAO #teamrelaxed well half relaxed hahaha honestly we were joking with the whole team crap i don't even get on twitter but as i stated before the name Mixed chicks is a poor choice for a name for a product that suppose to cater to all hair types why not call it curlykinkycoils chicks and for them to endorse #teamlightskin reinforce the fact that they are ignorant and i never used their product before and i sure as hell ain't going to use it now besides i read their ingredient list it had paraben in it for 25 dollars i can find something way better for my #teambrownskinnaturalhair so tell them to run and tell that home girl lol (got that from that crazy dude on tv and i'm just kidding ) lol
But it was nice talking to you ladies as a conclusion i still am not on the mixed chick band wagon and if any company was called black girls and so on i wouldn't buy their product as well because i refuse to support ignorance
Goodnight everyone Smile
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by natural83 on 20th January 2011, 5:05 am

Lynnieluve wrote:::Standing up applauding indigo.blue::

WELL SAID, WELL SAID!!!!

Yes, I'm with @Lynnieluve, totally applauding @Indigo.Blue All of you guys have valid points, but I'm on the same page as Indigo 100%. Well said miss lady!

I follow Mixed Chicks on twitter, and I did see that tweet and knew right away that it would cause controversy. Even though they immediately tried to clear it up, I knew that would NOT be the end of it! When I saw this post I was like, "yep, its got people talking!" Lol! But I will say this, I'm 100% black and I've used Mixed Chicks and I like it a lot! So hey if it works for me, I'll continue to use it...the name does not bother me! I mean come on people, it's just a name. I think someone used the example of Dark N Lovely and African Pride earlier...I feel like this, if you're going to get your panties in a bunch about the name Mixed Chicks, then there are a load of other names you might wanna call out too...I'm just saying! I certainly don't think Caucausian, Latina, & Asian women are running around complaining that they can't use Dark N Lovely! I mean seriously...let's just keep it real! If you go on the Mixed Chicks website and listen to the founders' (the 2 ladies that started the company) story, they will tell you that while growing up, there was never a product that fit their hair type and they always had a hard time finding products to work for them, so they wanted to invent a product that met their hair needs. (which to me, there is nothing wrong with that! Who's to say that some black people don't fall into that category as well?!?!?!). Apparently Mixed Chicks tapped into this "niche" and did something right because clearly, they have a full product line, so its working for somebody, right??? Their story is kind of similar to the founders of Miss Jessie's...Miko & Titi! They said they wanted to come out with products for curly/kinky hair...why? Because there were no products on the market out that catered to natural hair period. So they invented Miss Jessie's. So my question is.... why NOT come out with a niche product as such for persons that have a multi-cultural background, especially since there wasn't anything else like it on the market???? I'm not mad at them for it, to be honest! Why be mad, when it just might benefit your beautiful curls as well? Bottom line is, there is room on the shelves for ALL kinds of hair products for ALL types of hair! Why get offended? I know I don't get offended because its called Mixed Chicks....Who cares...I'm 100% black, as long as it works for me, I'm a happy camper! If not, on to the next one...product that is! That goes to show, that YES anybody can use it! If it doesn't work for your hair type...then guess what???? That isn't the product for you! It's as simple as that!

***still applauding @Indigo.Blue****
avatar
natural83

Posts : 576
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 33
Location : Houston, Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Spiralos on 20th January 2011, 12:11 pm

I think about the name "Mixed Chicks"- It seems the makers were not trying to be PC when they thought of the name in the first place. I feel the term 'mixed person' has negative connotations in the first place. The company based their product's name on the basis that the term refers to a 'black' person and another nationality mixing to make a curly haired offspring, right? Which is what the product line is directed toward, specifically. Yet, in this world, people who are the children of interracial unions just doesn't stop at black and white or black and Asian or black and whatever. You could have a "mixed" person who is white and Asian; I don't think there would be much curl to that person's hair. Anyway, when people who are from interracial unions other than 'black' and whatever, they'll call themselves "parts" Oh, I'm part German and part Japanese and so on. But when someone has 'black' in them, it's usually said as "you are mixed up" as if your 'black' blood taints you. Every person alive today has so many different ancestries that we will never truly know what we are "mixed" with. We just claim what we look like for the most part. To the world, when you have definite traits of African ancestry you are separated further. That could be because of the world or sometimes ourselves. So the name "Mixed Chicks" is a misnomer in my opinion. But what makes it worse for the company is their apparent ignorance in naming a product the way they did when the term doesn't technically apply to what they are selling. Unless you are black and "You know what we are talking about, Wink, Wink." Forget that noise. They knew exactly what they were doing with that teamlightskin business and us of African ancestry understood like no other people as well.
avatar
Spiralos

Posts : 33
Join date : 2010-01-11
Location : Miami, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 20th January 2011, 12:44 pm

@ Indigo.Blue & KandyLandKurls
Y'ALL BETTER PREACH IT & TEACH IT!! YES!!
dance
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum