Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Nali1987 on 19th January 2011, 5:32 pm

Just Ashley, you've made a good point! A friend of mine has as degree in Business and her job (and she's well paid) is to actually monitor social media like Facebook and Twitter and people's responses to certain slogans and products. Twitter has taken over. Razz
avatar
Nali1987

Posts : 210
Join date : 2010-10-07
Location : Amsterdam

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 19th January 2011, 5:32 pm

@LynnieLuve: Thank You!!!

@Nali: Please don’t think I am trying to minimize our history. I like to use metaphors. Black History is important, but what will it take to stop using it as a crutch. It is like a handicap person refusing to live because they have a disadvantage. There is a difference between cause and correlation. Slavery may be a correlation for x, y, and z but I strongly disagree that it is the cause for x, y, and z. Most of us have not experienced .00000001% of what our ancestors endured, yet my behaviors are a result of what they when through??? I think that is silly. I am tired of being psychoanalyzed and the only conclusion is slavery...If I think a white person or a light-skinned black person is beautiful...it is simply because I like their features, not because of slavery or a secret desire to be like them.
I do agree that biracial is a large category. I also understand the Bell Curve...majority of biracial children has a similar hair type. There are outliers: the people who have bone straight hair and the people who have extremely kinky hair. Most companies will FAIL if they try to accommodate everyone. You master a few aspects of your business then you expand.

THIS IS NOT AFRICA! So no you will not see a bunch of Africans on a top 100 list in America. I am sure if you go to the Caribbean Islands and they had a top 100 list, their list will look much different than an American list. How many Indian women do you see on the 100 most beautiful list? How about Asians??? Hispanics??? Does that mean they are not beautiful??? Absolutely not!

There are not too many Hispanics in the media: Mario Lopez, Eva Longoria, Jennifer Lopez...Asians: Lucy Lu, Jackie Chan...I cannot think of many others...does that mean some type of deep seeded psychological issue???

We are just as human as everyone else...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 19th January 2011, 5:35 pm

@CreoleBeauty and Nali: I totally enjoy this conversation. I totally believe in debates...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Color_Me_Coily on 19th January 2011, 6:11 pm

1FlySista wrote:LOL! Where is the love, are you serious? Are they making this an internal race war? C'mon Son! African-Americans surely need to get it together with this light-skin, dark-skin nonsense. I mean who does such things besides the immature or low thinking? If they must do this, why can't this be looked at in fun? Females always have to take low-priority nonsense to the top of the pile. smh I mean we all check Black (or "Other") as a race don't we? All involved need to fall back from the nonsense and find something more constructive to do with their precious time. I like Mixed Chicks products and I'm still gonna rock with them and I don't even have a team to represent me because I'm too dark to be light and too light to be dark. Ha! LOL I'm gonna take it that these are teeny boppers hyping this BS up, I pity the adults involved, if any.

I have never used any of their products...
I think the whole idea is stupid... Black is Black I don’t care what shade you are...it’s in your blood!!! when will ppl ever learn this....and to think it’s among our own race acting so childish SMH!

but @1FlysistaJust wanted to cosign something you said...
I don't even have a team to represent me because I'm too dark to be light and too light to be dark. Ha!

Butter pecan caramel.... hahahahahahaha
avatar
Color_Me_Coily

Posts : 133
Join date : 2010-10-24
Age : 27
Location : College [Junior]

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by mrscoutrmmm on 19th January 2011, 6:15 pm

Nali1987 wrote:
creolebeauty1 wrote:LOL i can talk about this all day

Girl, I know right. Nothing more interesting than debating world issues and feeding your brain. But I won't be saying anything more, moslty because I'm about to log off and pull an all-nighter for exams. Arghhh.

I agree. Nothing more interesting than a debate among educated women and seeing everyone's point of view. Im not to responding to many at the moment bc a certain little boy whos grumpy. Maybe during nap time I'll get around to it (saying this as I watch my son fling his sippy cup).

mrscoutrmmm

Posts : 59
Join date : 2011-01-16
Age : 31
Location : norfolk,va

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 6:35 pm

I enjoy a good debate and i think this one was a good one and @indigoBlue Asians , hispanics and so on have a community in their country i'm haitian and i have a community where my beauty is plastered on wall but what do African - Americans have ? they are not Africans , not caribbean , they are Americans and deserve to be show cased as such i mean it bothers me to see things the way they are in a society who claim and pride themselves on equality for all in all aspects ...
WE can go back and forth all day but this fact remains A company saying they only cater to Mixed chicks is pretty stupid because there is no such thing as mixed hair types and to assume "mixed chicks " can only be light skin with Mixed hair is ignorant and instead of capitalizing on this business decision they are losing out and missing out on women who may have curly hair but are not mixed and vice versa
Whether we want to admit it or not our past affect us daily we do certain things without knowing the history or meaning behind this actions all those come from our past , i too would like to move on from everything we been through as a people and go forwrad positively but until those issues among us aren't addressed , corrected and ceased we will still be in this situations
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 19th January 2011, 7:18 pm

CreoleBeauty: This is where I find the irony...if you reread your definition of African Americans and how we don't have a community, but then you want to deny the Mixed Chicks the opportunity to do the same...

If the past effect us so much, then no one black person should ever wear cotton, use a cotton ball, or eat cotton candy for that matter. We should cringe at the sight, smell, texture, and feel of cotton. That is not the way things work. No one is boycotting cotton because of our hurtful history nor do we still feel the residual effects or disdain our ancestors felt for cotton. So why I am still connected to hair and skin issues? Might it be something else? Might it just simply be a human issue rather than a black issue. We still eat hog maws and chitterlings...if your theory of the past is accurate, then we would not embrace those dishes...

Also, for those who has a problem with the name Mixed Chick, I hope you also have a problem with the names: Black Enterprise, Ebony, Jet, Black Hair, Black Men, Black Beat...and so forth...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 7:39 pm

I don't eat none of those foods remember i'm haitian so that's not my dish of choice lol , i understand where you coming from but boycotting cotton and hair and skin issues are very different examples our ancestors worked at making cotton they weren't forced to wear them now if they ask for all blacks to go pick cotton in fields i'm sure we would all boycott that but us wearing cotton with no problem is no the issue but i sometimes wonder how further i would have been in life if my ancestors did receive some compensation from the cotton they picked ... Black enterprise isn't targeting a particular group of black people and so on but a company like Mixed chicks is insinuating something that isn't true and promoting classism within the black race in my opinion if i created a product for curly hair i will call it curly hair if i created one for kinky hair i will do the same but if created a product called dark chic it will be equally ignorant because complexion , race and color do not necessarily determine hair type and by doing so i will be excluding the people that can use my products but are not fiting the mold i established pretty stupid marketing strategy
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by CarlaAR on 19th January 2011, 7:42 pm

Indigo.Blue wrote:CreoleBeauty: This is where I find the irony...if you reread your definition of African Americans and how we don't have a community, but then you want to deny the Mixed Chicks the opportunity to do the same...

If the past effect us so much, then no one black person should ever wear cotton, use a cotton ball, or eat cotton candy for that matter. We should cringe at the sight, smell, texture, and feel of cotton. That is not the way things work. No one is boycotting cotton because of our hurtful history nor do we still feel the residual effects or disdain our ancestors felt for cotton. So why I am still connected to hair and skin issues? Might it be something else? Might it just simply be a human issue rather than a black issue. We still eat hog maws and chitterlings...if your theory of the past is accurate, then we would not embrace those dishes...

Also, for those who has a problem with the name Mixed Chick, I hope you also have a problem with the names: Black Enterprise, Ebony, Jet, Black Hair, Black Men, Black Beat...and so forth...

What do you mean "we"? Laughing
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 39
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 19th January 2011, 8:58 pm

@CarlaAR: I don't eat those things either but they are dishes that some African Americans enjoy...

@Creolebeauty: they may not have been forced to wear cotton, but they were forced to eat pig scraps.

I think it is funny how on one side of the argument, biracial people should not seperate themselves...they are black...but on the other side of the argument, dark skin blacks are not represented in the media...it is only the light skin blacks...but if black is black then one cannot argue about light skinned blacks getting more representation in the media (if that is what you believe)...

A product for a 4a will probably be too heavy for a 3a...so to just try to lump everyone under the same category won't work. That is like saying we are all mammals so we are the same as dolphins and monkeys...There is nothing wrong with biracial people claiming an identity under the black umbrella...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 19th January 2011, 9:03 pm

I feel that we as blacks are more stymied by ourselves than slavery at this point. How often have any one of us heard "You sound like a white girl" or "You have good hair" from a WHITE person?? Even if you have, I'm sure its nowhere near as many times as you've heard it from a black person. And while we're on that, I dare say "crabs in a barrel syndrome" is rampant in our community. How can expect other races to see our beauty is we are in fighting about which shade is better?? It is odd to me that we have used slavery as an excuse for everything EXCEPT doing better. It sickens me to hear my peers talking about how to "get over on the system" and how we can't do this or that simply based on being black. I specifically chose the university I am attending for that reason. I honestly do not think that I could have a stellar interview and nearly perfect grades and be denied entry into nursing school b/c I do not pass the paper bag test. I PROMISE YOU, I will graduate WITH HONORS and I'm just a little black girl that came from a public school. My race has nothing to do with how badly I want that. **Sorry I got off track a little** Why is it so hard for us to celebrate our diversity?? And this is coming from a woman who is unequivocably Southern and was raised in Alabama. Frankly its silly to be upset at the founders of Mixed Chicks for celebrating who they are and what being mixed looks like to them. They have not professed themselves to be social abassadors... Let alone babysittters. At the end of the day, I'm sure the only color that matters to them is green. As far as the media is concerned, why not at least be happy to see other blacks doing well...?
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 19th January 2011, 9:07 pm

Naturally_Hollie wrote:
1FlySista wrote:I don't even have a team to represent me because I'm too dark to be light and too light to be dark. Ha!

but @1FlysistaJust wanted to cosign something you said...
I don't even have a team to represent me because I'm too dark to be light and too light to be dark. Ha!

Butter pecan caramel.... hahahahahahaha

Me and my mom always joke about being Pecan Tan!! That's too funny you would say that!! lol!
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by KandyLandKurls on 19th January 2011, 9:30 pm

As far as the media is concerned, why not at least be happy to see other blacks doing well...?

Yes!
avatar
KandyLandKurls

Posts : 47
Join date : 2010-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 9:32 pm

I see where everyone is coming from but still and all can someone please tell me 3 things what does a mixed person's hair look like ? if you can show me 1 type one look i'l leave this alone "mixed chics" as a name for a brand isn't a good choice if money is what they are trying to make i don't care if they want to claim their identity in the mix umbrella since according to the name of their product they are not black they are mixed that's the only umbrella there is i guess they are a race all by themselves all i'm saying is if you want t make a product for curly hair do so but do remember their are black women with curly hair that are not bi racial
From my very first comment i stated that equality across the board is the only way all of this madness will stop they will always be a #team dark and a #team dark skin until every shade of black beauty is recognize and represented equally , at the end of the day black is black whether you high yellow or dark but i refuse to consume silently what i have been fed all this years by hollywood the media and whoever made the so called standard of beauty if people don't speak up little brown girls will grow up wanting to have blonde hair and bleaching their skin those self esteem issues will never go away until all shades of blacks are represented as equally beautiful
Mixed chics like i said i never even looked at because i'm brown skin and thought their product was for mixed people but when i saw this post i came to think of it WTH does a mixed person hair looks like ? my cousin is mixed and her hair is wavy , her sister is mixed and her hair is kinky so exactly what and who are they catering to that's my question ? if they have a product saying black chics on the bottle should it only cater to kinky hair ? color , complexion and race does not automatically translate a certain hair type unless i'm wrong
@ thiff i agree with you and we should all be happy for each others success instead of separating ourselves with labels like "black chicks " mixed chicks" "good hair , Bad hair , dark skin , light skin and so on " i think it's ridiculous but those group do exist already what do we do now ? if not show each of them they are equal to the next without inferiority or superiority complexes
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 19th January 2011, 9:45 pm

Yes! Ambitious_Tiff: The only thing I want to challenge is these negative characteristics that are not unique to black people...every culture has engaged in crabs in the barrel syndrom, white people talk about good hair all of the time. They complain about thin stringy hair, hair that won't hold a curl, and breakage...We are not unique with our troubles...we are just as beautifully human as anyone else...
Anyway, good luck with nursing school...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 9:48 pm

igh. this is so expected coming from a company that chose to call itself Mixed Chicks...and focus on "biracial hair," like that is a specific hair type. those facts alone tell me that they don't know what they are doing when it comes to curly hair. what is biracial hair? and what are the two races that are you gearing your products towards? dummies.

and no, there will not be any backlash from this blatant coonism. people will forget or MC will issue an official apology/statement and that will be the end of it.

and i'm sorry, but if your market includes a certain ethnic community, and you cannot predict how much harm being on a "team" based on skin color will cause, then you do not need to be servicing any ethnic community. there is too much ingrained hurt in issues of color in these communities for this tweet to be seen as a simple, oh they just made a mistake. but then again, look at their company's name! what more could you expect?

this division by color lines is what willie lynch started and mc is keeping it alive and well. i shake my head at their tweet, their company, and the fact that people actually support their brainwashed coonery.
I saw this post somewhere else and felt the need to post it here my sentiment exactly and i cosign lol their marketing move was pure COONERY
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Indigo.Blue on 19th January 2011, 9:56 pm

I just want to remind everyone that when I was growing up, there was The Cosby Show, A Different World, Fresh Prince, Family Matters, The Oprah Show and others that I can't think of off hand....we had plenty of positive black images. Black music videos were full of dark skin black women...so we should have a perfect self image...Right??? If that is the equation for success...then everyone from my generation would be flourishing...

Also, Ambi is designed for women of color, specifically dark women...I think we should boycott...
avatar
Indigo.Blue

Posts : 164
Join date : 2010-10-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Mandi'sGoneCurly! on 19th January 2011, 10:00 pm

Hey creolebeauty1!
I have a very random and off topic question for you. I read earlier that you are Haitian. Were you born there?
avatar
Mandi'sGoneCurly!

Posts : 292
Join date : 2010-12-10
Age : 28
Location : Anchorage, AK

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 10:05 pm

Ambi is another one i think is pretty weird isn't their soap made for people to bleach their skin ? for each example you gave everything else was either with light skin chicks and for white people that's like white people saying if they had a channel just for whites they will be called racist but blacks can have BET for everything else in that category we only have a few to call our own and of course success isn't based on imagery but it can help So you telling me that as a black woman you agree with mixed chicks they should have products for "mixed people" whatever that means and support team light skin and that's totally normal ? are you serious ? smh
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 10:07 pm

lol that's fine i have been glued to this PC since i got off work CN is jumping tonight lol .. yes i'm Haitian and i was born in the Dominican -Republic my father is Dominican hey does that mean i can use mixed chicks ? i'm mixed LOL jk
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by cluelesscurl on 19th January 2011, 10:13 pm

@Creolebeauty
Sak Pase!!! lol

cluelesscurl

Posts : 232
Join date : 2010-04-24
Location : Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 10:15 pm

O @cluelesscurl sak pase cheri lol
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by NylaCoils on 19th January 2011, 10:16 pm

Ladies - Ladies- Ladies!!

I support #TEAMNATURAL!! Wanna know why????...Natural GIRLS ROCK!!!
avatar
NylaCoils

Posts : 1628
Join date : 2009-10-25
Age : 50
Location : Greenville, SC

View user profile http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by creolebeauty1 on 19th January 2011, 10:18 pm

ME too @ Nyla coils i'm down with #teamtransition ans #teamnatural lol
avatar
creolebeauty1

Posts : 938
Join date : 2010-11-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Ambitious_Tiff on 19th January 2011, 10:21 pm

LOOK AROUND! There is mixed hair everywhere. Just about everyone I know is mixed with something. Black and white, black and indian, black and latino, black and asian, black and black! You say they are separating themselves from being black by calling the product Mixed Chicks. So do you feel that Dark & Lovely Perms are only for dark skinned women or African Pride products are only for Africans as opposed to American blacks or Jamaicans, etc? Shoot, Rasta Jamaican sells a Mango Lime Twist and Lock gel. I bet it works for more than just Jamaicans. If they choose to target a certain demographic, is that not their right as business owners? We all know everything doesn't work for everybody. I feel the media setting the standard for beauty is somewhat of a cop out. The media does not neccessarily create demand but they cater to it. If a lot of people watch a certain television show, it will remain in rotation. If it does not do well, its cancelled. A child is a blank slate. If you start from day one, telling them they are beautiful and unique and worthy, they will grow up to feel and know this is true. That is not to say that at some point they will not wonder why there are not more people that look like them in the media BUT I think if it is reinforced in them at home that they are beautiful, they are less likely to dwell on it. I believe its just about exposure and how we percieve things. What do we do about it? Teach, tolerate, and stop looking to others to validate us. Ignorance definitely has a shelf life.

@Indigo.Blue
Oh and when I said whites talking about "good" hair I meant to us. I do agree with you though. We are suffering the human condition the same as everyone else to some degree. Thank you for the well wishes!
avatar
Ambitious_Tiff

Posts : 974
Join date : 2010-12-02
Age : 31
Location : Montgomery, AL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mixed Chicks supports team light skin on Twitter, experiences fallout

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum