Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Go down

Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 13th January 2011, 2:12 am

I am really scared to use henna on my hair because i have had it chemically dyed and i heard henna turns ur hair bright orange or something if ur hair already had a chemical dye. Has anyone done this?? I really want to henna =/
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CarlaAR on 13th January 2011, 2:54 am

My chemical hair color + henna outcome.

2007 - 2009: For a few years I dyed my hair blue/black when demi and semi permanent hair colors.
2009 August: I did a permanent dye (still blue/black) to my hair one time. It totally dried it out.
2009 - 2010 spring: I used temporary hair color rinses
2010 Summer: I stopped coloring my hair.
2010 October/November: My first henna treatment in almost eight years.

Since most of the demi and temporary color grew or washed out, the top of my hair is my natural color which is a dark brown with mild sun highlights. The part of my hair that's still black-black is the several inches in the back.

The henna color is fine for me. I see some red, especially in the sun. No funny shades of orange (except for my few gray hairs). Also with proper conditioning, my hair is not dried out. No damage.

I think the orange hair fear comes from having bleached hair, but don't quote me on this.

With that said, I would still see who else responds and shares their experience with dyed hair + henna before taking the plunge.
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 39
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 13th January 2011, 3:00 am

yea... i still have a twa so i dont think i would be able to tolerate the orange lol...

But ur hair is beautiful
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CarlaAR on 13th January 2011, 3:03 am

There is no orange in my hair. Smile Thanks!

LOL

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 39
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CarlaAR on 13th January 2011, 4:53 am

CiaE wrote:yea... i still have a twa so i dont think i would be able to tolerate the orange lol...

But ur hair is beautiful

Check this thread out http://bglhonline.com/2010/12/to-henna-or-not-to-henna/ It talks about henna with hair dyes and non-BAQ henna.
avatar
CarlaAR

Posts : 429
Join date : 2010-11-01
Age : 39
Location : Portland, OR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 18th January 2011, 5:12 pm

CarlaAR wrote:
CiaE wrote:yea... i still have a twa so i dont think i would be able to tolerate the orange lol...

But ur hair is beautiful

Check this thread out http://bglhonline.com/2010/12/to-henna-or-not-to-henna/ It talks about henna with hair dyes and non-BAQ henna.
so i checked the thread and it was really insightful, but maybe i read over it wrong, so if i use indigo and true henna on chemically dyes hair it shouldnt be bad
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 18th January 2011, 5:40 pm

Hi CiaE, you will be just fine doing henna over chemically dyed hair. I colored my hair with a box dye in November to try and cover my stubborn grays. After doing some research, I did my first henna about three weeks ago and my second one yesterday. If you have gray hairs, the henna can turn them a bright copper color that will tone down over a few days. The rest of my hair is a dark brown with very nice reddish highlights. You can also check out: http://forums.hennapage.com/. They have some really great information there.
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 18th January 2011, 5:43 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:Hi CiaE, you will be just fine doing henna over chemically dyed hair. I colored my hair with a box dye in November to try and cover my stubborn grays. After doing some research, I did my first henna about three weeks ago and my second one yesterday. If you have gray hairs, the henna can turn them a bright copper color that will tone down over a few days. The rest of my hair is a dark brown with very nice reddish highlights. You can also check out: http://forums.hennapage.com/. They have some really great information there.
Thanks!!! So the henna didnt really effects your already dyed hair?? i dont have any grays that i know of so i should be fine lol
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 18th January 2011, 5:58 pm

It didn't effect the already dyed hair except that when I used the box dye (medium golden brown) it only took on about an inch of hair from the roots and rest of my hair was a dark brown color, almost off black from previous not so good dye jobs. lol. After the henna, where my hair was medium golden brown (also where most of my gray hairs were), is now a very pretty brownish reddish auburnish color. Where my hair was a dark brown/off black, it's still dark brown but with red highlights in it from the henna.

What is your natural hair color and what dyed color do you have in it now.

also, one thing that I had to learn is that henna is not a chemical and is all natural, so you don't have to worry about any adverse reactions that you would get with doing box dyes. Also, the wonderful thing about henna is that you can do it as much as you want; its fun to play around with the colors and the intensity.
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 18th January 2011, 7:02 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:It didn't effect the already dyed hair except that when I used the box dye (medium golden brown) it only took on about an inch of hair from the roots and rest of my hair was a dark brown color, almost off black from previous not so good dye jobs. lol. After the henna, where my hair was medium golden brown (also where most of my gray hairs were), is now a very pretty brownish reddish auburnish color. Where my hair was a dark brown/off black, it's still dark brown but with red highlights in it from the henna.

What is your natural hair color and what dyed color do you have in it now.

also, one thing that I had to learn is that henna is not a chemical and is all natural, so you don't have to worry about any adverse reactions that you would get with doing box dyes. Also, the wonderful thing about henna is that you can do it as much as you want; its fun to play around with the colors and the intensity.
what do u mean it only took on about an inch of hair?
My natural hair color is black and the dye is very light brwn.
I do love henna i used it before my dye but i was just to scared to use it again =/
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 18th January 2011, 7:08 pm

The box dye that I used, not the henna, only took on the first inch or so. Since your dyed hair is very light brown, unless you use Henna & Indigo, you'll get an all over reddish-brownish color. I'll try and take a pic so that you see my results.
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 18th January 2011, 7:14 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:The box dye that I used, not the henna, only took on the first inch or so. Since your dyed hair is very light brown, unless you use Henna & Indigo, you'll get an all over reddish-brownish color. I'll try and take a pic so that you see my results.
yes pics are great!!
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

henna on dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 18th January 2011, 7:33 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 18th January 2011, 7:36 pm

Hi Cia, so i learned that I really need to figure out how to get a picture from phone's camera to my computer - lol. the pic isn't the greatest, but hopefully you can see the differences in color. The reddish-brownish color closest to my roots was the hair that took the box dye that was a medium golden brown and had the most grays in it. The darker is my hair where the box dye of medium golden brown did not take, but it has the red highlights in it from the henna. I hope all of that makes sense Very Happy
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 18th January 2011, 9:53 pm

ajsimmons8 wrote:Hi Cia, so i learned that I really need to figure out how to get a picture from phone's camera to my computer - lol. the pic isn't the greatest, but hopefully you can see the differences in color. The reddish-brownish color closest to my roots was the hair that took the box dye that was a medium golden brown and had the most grays in it. The darker is my hair where the box dye of medium golden brown did not take, but it has the red highlights in it from the henna. I hope all of that makes sense Very Happy
girl im still trying to figure it out too! But i try to send it to an email... but yea it makes sense so the henna made the chemically dyed hair dark red and ur regular hair color just highlighted red right? I wish there was a henna that would do everything without the color change lol i think bentonite clay is the best thing close to it
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by Madeaj on 18th January 2011, 10:13 pm

You can try a cassia treatment. Sometimes its called neutral henna, but there is no such thing as neutral henna. Cassia will dye very light colored hair with yellow or blonde tones. You won't see any change on dark colored hair, but you get similar benefits to henna. The other difference is henna benefits are permanent and cassia benefits only lasts about 3-4 weeks. But both can be done multiple times without harm.

Henna for Hair Cassia
Henna Sooq Cassia
avatar
Madeaj

Posts : 372
Join date : 2010-09-16
Location : Raleigh

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 13th March 2011, 2:09 pm

ok so say my hair is gold.. will the henna turn the gold parts brownish red or just my hair thats not dyes a brownish red?
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 13th March 2011, 3:18 pm

Hi Cia, on the gold part, the henna would probably turn it a copper reddish color. Below is a link that will give you some visuals of other peoples hair with henna. Some of their henna mixes are a little more complicated than what I do, but at least you'll get a pretty good idea of the color henna will deposit on your hair.

http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/index.html
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 13th March 2011, 5:56 pm

Thanks ajsimmons8! So now im a bit scared... lol

Im gonna see if i can find someone who started with my brownishgold hair and hennaed lol
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 13th March 2011, 6:00 pm

Hey Cia, what color is your natural hair? and what color are you trying to get?
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 13th March 2011, 9:30 pm

well my natural hair is black, my ends are dyed brownish gold
i dont reallly wanna henna fir the color but the other benefits
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by ajsimmons8 on 13th March 2011, 9:34 pm

if you don't want the color from a full henna treatment, but the conditioning benefits you have a couple of options.

Option 1: henna gloss = henna that has not set for dye release, mixed with conditioner of your choice. some people also add honey and EVOO to it. I usually do 1 - 2 henna glosses a month and the conditioning effects are great!

Option 2: Amla or some of the other Ayurveda powders. my personal favorite is amla because it rinses out easy. With amla, you can either use it by itself or also mix with a conditioner.

HTH
avatar
ajsimmons8

Posts : 284
Join date : 2010-12-31
Age : 59
Location : Tampa, Florida

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by CiaE on 13th March 2011, 10:56 pm

oh wow so these both loosen curls and strengthen hair!?? this is great. Thank you so much lol

HTH? What does that mean? I think i may try the henna gloss one month then alma the other
avatar
CiaE

Posts : 329
Join date : 2010-08-10
Age : 27
Location : Connecticut

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has anyone ever tried Henna on already chemically dyed hair

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum