CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment?

5 posters

Go down

Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment? Empty Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment?

Post by moonchild 4th January 2011, 2:51 pm

I'm interested in henna, but to be honest, I cannot add another time consuming thing to my hair routine. Could I use a protein treatment and get the same effects (strengthening, shine, thickness)? I'm thinking of the aphogee 2-step... Thanks!

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment? Empty Re: Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment?

Post by CarlaAR 5th January 2011, 4:08 pm

I have done both and sad to say, henna wins hands down for me. I've done protein treatments and while they were beneficial for me, henna is like protein on steroids for my hair. Henna actually strengthens my hair, significantly reduced breakage and added shine.

The time it takes is a factor though. I try to do it at night where I can leave it in overnight (instead of sitting around the house for 4+ hours with henna on my head instead going on with my day). I choose a time where I will have time in the morning to rinse and deep condition (usually DC while at the gym).

In general the time it takes for me (time in hours):

5 - Mix henna and let it sit though I've let it sit for more or less at times.

.25 - Shampoo

.30 - Set up bathroom, gather materials and apply henna.

4 - Let it sit on hair

.25 - Rinse

1.5 - DC and detangle

1 - Rinse and style or set (1 hour give or take depending on what I'm doing)

Because of the time commitment, I prefer to leave it in my hair overnight. Of course, everyone's going to be different depending on hair length, etc.

It wont hurt to do the protein treatment though, especially if your hair needs it.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment? Empty Re: Can I get the same effect of henna'ing using a protein treatment?

Post by moonchild 7th January 2011, 5:56 pm

Thanks for all this info! Really helpful. I know I can't commit to that kind of time right now, even overnight. I'll try some protein treatments in the meantime and hopefully work my way up to henna!

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by CarlaAR 8th January 2011, 6:46 pm

moonchild wrote:Thanks for all this info! Really helpful. I know I can't commit to that kind of time right now, even overnight. I'll try some protein treatments in the meantime and hopefully work my way up to henna!

I hear you! I would like to be able to do it weekly, but the time (and energy) isn't there.
CarlaAR
CarlaAR

Back to top Go down

Post by atangledmess 8th January 2011, 7:42 pm

Hey Moonchild, research amla & cassia. There's a thread here that has a lot of info on the use of both. I understand the time issues associated with henna-ing. I've done it twice, while on vacation. I also found some protein recipes on one of these threads. Good luck and keep us posted.

atangledmess

Back to top Go down

Post by djackson 28th January 2011, 12:08 am

I have henned for about 3 months and have enjoyed the results tremendously!! I have not done henna in about 2 months because of the time it takes. I did the Aphogee 2 step on my hair and found that the 2 step process took wwwaaaayyyy less time and my curls were not weighed down (like henna). I do plan to use the aphogee 2 step again I liked it. It doesn't mean that I will stop henna'ing either, just not as much or maybe a gloss treatment.

djackson

Back to top Go down

Post by satindoll 29th January 2011, 9:27 pm

Henna definitely is better for my hair. I've tried aphogee, eggs, aubrey organics protein conditioner, and many other types of protein treatments, but i haven't gotten the same results as I do with henna. You may be able to do a henna gloss and get similar results in less time.
satindoll
satindoll

http://public.fotki.com/buttaflyy23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down