Need a Trim, I certainly do- Here is a helpful guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Need a Trim, I certainly do- Here is a helpful guide

Post by naturallynola on 4th January 2011, 12:53 pm

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/06/method-to-see-split-ends-no-heat.html

NOTE: Make sure you click on the blue links within the article. Hope this is helpful.

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Need a Trim, I certainly do- Here is a helpful guide

Post by CiaE on 4th January 2011, 1:30 pm

Do u only trim when u know when u have split ends???
CiaE

View user profile http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE on 9th January 2011, 10:04 pm

bumping this so i dont have to make another post on this question
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 9th January 2011, 11:32 pm

I trim my ends when I have a bunch of single strand knots and when my ends just get unruly. If I had split ends, I would trim them too. That's the only time I trim.

The last time I washed my hair, when I was trying to detangle it was crazy. I ended up trimming my ends Wednesday. My last trim before that was July.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by anz30 on 9th January 2011, 11:58 pm

I think this may be precisely my problem right now. Detangling this mess has become a horror and the ends are very scraggly. Okay time to clip clip.
anz30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE on 10th January 2011, 12:34 am

Hmmm well i have been natural for 7 months now and i received a trim 5 months ago. The same day i got a trim wel cut of about an inch i received a hair color and have never colored my hair since. My ends have always been dry but now they seem extra dry and fuzzy but i dont have split ends. I do dc once a week and im not sure if i need a trim or if thats just my hair type....

I dont have problems detangliing at all either
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola on 10th January 2011, 1:28 am

CiaE, I have been procrastinating on the trim. I didn't want to go to a stylist and I am just doing the research to trim myself. My split ends are evident, especially when I braid for the braidout. If you don't see split ends, you may just consider dedicating a little extra moisture to your ends. You can just baggy the ends to see if that helps. I don't have a dry or fuzzy problem with my ends, but I always apply extra conditioner/moisturizer on the ends on wash day and when I need to moisturize between washings. Also, if you use a shampoo, make sure it is not drying and that your styling products are not drying. Remember, the ends are more vulnerable than the rest of the hair strand. I notice you are in Connecticut, the cold weather and indoor drying out from the heater may also be factors.

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1FlySista on 10th January 2011, 1:36 am

Great post, thanks for sharing. I trim as needed, I usually "dust" my twists quarterly and do an actual trim twice a year. My BC anniversary is on January 23rd and I am need of a trim because my detangling session has become extended because of unruly ends. My last trim was late July, I'm going to do another on my upcoming anniversary. I think I'm going to make that a tradition for me - a trim or dusting whichever is needed on my BC anniversary. Smile
1FlySista

View user profile http://www.goddyssey.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE on 10th January 2011, 1:57 am

naturallynola wrote:CiaE, I have been procrastinating on the trim. I didn't want to go to a stylist and I am just doing the research to trim myself. My split ends are evident, especially when I braid for the braidout. If you don't see split ends, you may just consider dedicating a little extra moisture to your ends. You can just baggy the ends to see if that helps. I don't have a dry or fuzzy problem with my ends, but I always apply extra conditioner/moisturizer on the ends on wash day and when I need to moisturize between washings. Also, if you use a shampoo, make sure it is not drying and that your styling products are not drying. Remember, the ends are more vulnerable than the rest of the hair strand. I notice you are in Connecticut, the cold weather and indoor drying out from the heater may also be factors.
Yea it probably is the issue but what is baggy? I am going to see if it improves in a month or after i remove my protective style. If not im gonna cut the bad boy
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola on 10th January 2011, 2:23 am

CiaE -

Here is a video I think might be helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58k3e3bwJhc

You can also do an internal search "baggy"" and you will get a number of comments.

This is just another way of giving your hair the moisture it craves and the oil she used is to prevent the water from escaping from the hair "locks" it in.

Note: Like virtually everything in this natural hair care world, this is one version of the baggy method. The concept is universal though.

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE on 10th January 2011, 2:27 pm

naturallynola wrote:CiaE -

Here is a video I think might be helpful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58k3e3bwJhc

You can also do an internal search "baggy"" and you will get a number of comments.

This is just another way of giving your hair the moisture it craves and the oil she used is to prevent the water from escaping from the hair "locks" it in.

Note: Like virtually everything in this natural hair care world, this is one version of the baggy method. The concept is universal though.

Thanks! I watched the video, its bascially just Deep conditioning right?
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by earthy natural on 4th February 2011, 11:48 pm

I appreciate the post to the trimming.

I've been natural for about 1 year and 4 months and I recently noticed a growing problem with the SSK's when detangaling...so I decided I better try to find a person to trim my natural hair. My big deal is I do not want any heat -- period.

So I went to a consultation today about getting my hair trimmed at a salon somebody recommended. This salon has natural hair prices listed on their website, so I knew that naturals frequented and were welcome there.

But my little bubble got burst really quickly Sad The stylist was adamant that her procedure is "natural hair that has been cleansed, conditioned, (by her) then blown out & flat ironed/ or silkened before doing a trim..." then she goes on to list why straight is her requirement. I get her reasoning (accuracy with the trim, better strand assessment, etc...), but I won't be a client of hers if straight hair on naturals is her trimming prerequisite. Sorry I'm not messing with the heat. Evil or Very Mad

I'd just love to find a salon that doesn't make straightening afro textured hair a must in order to trim it. I mean, I'll opt for YT vids and hair boards to DIY as well, I just need a professional every now and then -- maybe once a year, (if that)...

Last edited by earthy natural on 4th February 2011, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
earthy natural

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallynola on 5th February 2011, 2:55 am

Earthy, at the beginning of your post you wrote the SSKs are what lead you to pursue a trim. Now, until you are comfortable and decide what you want to do, maybe you can consider minimizing the SSKs by other interventions. I know there are threads on this forum. Use the internal search engine.

If you don't already wash your hair in sections, try that. When the hair is loose, especially when wet, the strands get tangled on themselves. Washing and then conditioning and detangling in sections is helpful. Also, use your shampoo or whatever cleanser you use on the scalp and let the suds run down the hair shaft. Try to disturb the actual hair strands minimally, except to detangle. Also, oil rinses are excellent in smoothing the hair. Use oils like olive or coconut oil (if you are not allergic). I keep a marshmallow spritz that I make in the refrigerator. Find a good smoothing conditioner. I use AOWC. It is excellent and is marketed to tame frizz and smooth hair. It does just that.

Keeping the hair moisturized between washes is very important and I use oil everyday and find it is just as effective as oil rinses in keeping the tangles at bay.

Also, if you have any damaged areas in the cuticle, you might need a protein treatment to fill in.

Hope some of this helps. I don't have issues with SSKs. I had a wash day with a few of them a while back during a henna treatment, but made some modifications and haven't had that happen since.

Hang in there. SSKs are pesky little things, but they can def. be kept to a bare minimum. Try these interventions. I'm sure others will chime in. Keep us posted.

naturallynola

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top