CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How long do you whip your shea mix for?

+2
Madeaj
yacoomba
6 posters

Go down

How long do you whip your shea mix for?  Empty How long do you whip your shea mix for?

Post by yacoomba 30th December 2010, 3:06 pm

Last night was my first attempt at making a fluffy shea mix...it didn't come out fluffy-it was starting to thicken up though. This is what I did:

1tbsp each of Aloe butter, Shea butter, and Avocado Butter
1tbsp each of coconut oil and sweet almond oil and a couple of drops of rosemary oil

I began whipping it with my handheld mixer on lowest setting for about 15 minutes and I saw that wasn't doing anything so I put it to the next setting of 2, well this started to what seem thicken it up. I wasn't getting the fluffly consistency though. I ended up pouring the mix in a container and putting it in the fridge to harden. What did I do wrong regarding mixing (was it too low of a setting or too much oil (both)? Help Mixtresses!!! I would like a fluffy consistency if possible :-)
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

How long do you whip your shea mix for?  Empty Re: How long do you whip your shea mix for?

Post by Madeaj 30th December 2010, 4:43 pm

I use more butter than oils. Right now it looks like you have a one to one ratio of oils to butters. Try adding a couple of tbsps more of the shea and whip it again. Just bring the refrigerated mix to room temp, add the shea and whip it from there. Just the shea. Whip it for a minute until its fully mixed in. If its still not whipped add another spoonful of shea and keep whipping until it gets to the consistancy you want.
Madeaj
Madeaj

Back to top Go down

How long do you whip your shea mix for?  Empty Re: How long do you whip your shea mix for?

Post by yacoomba 30th December 2010, 5:46 pm

Thnx for the tips- I will give this a try Very Happy
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by yacoomba 30th December 2010, 10:04 pm

Madeaj wrote:I use more butter than oils. Right now it looks like you have a one to one ratio of oils to butters. Try adding a couple of tbsps more of the shea and whip it again. Just bring the refrigerated mix to room temp, add the shea and whip it from there. Just the shea. Whip it for a minute until its fully mixed in. If its still not whipped add another spoonful of shea and keep whipping until it gets to the consistancy you want.

Your advice worked perfectly!!! Very Happy I only had to add in one additional tbsp of shea to the mix and it started to get the whipped fluffy consistency. Glad I asked because it truly was an oily mess when I got home (due to sitting in the bathroom-there's no way I could have used that). Thanks again!
yacoomba
yacoomba

Back to top Go down

Post by jaylin20032003 31st December 2010, 2:49 am

very good to know, i will be trying a similar recipe
jaylin20032003
jaylin20032003

Back to top Go down

Post by willi77 17th March 2011, 12:58 pm

Hey Ladies, I'm planning to make whipped shea this week. I was wondering what it seems to work best on, twists, braidouts, frizz or all of the above? I want to achieve moisture and shine!

Thanks in advance,

Last relaxer: May 8, 2010
Big Chopped: Feb. 19, 2011
LOVIN' MY CURLS

willi77

Back to top Go down

Post by BlacknGolden 21st March 2011, 3:14 am

Today I made a whipped mango and shea butter mix. Maybe if I whipped it more it would be more fluffy but it came out great and felt good on my damp hair.
I mixed approximately: 2 tbsp of shea butter & mango butter (each)
1-1/2 tbsp of coconut oil
(very thick since its stored in a cool place) 3 clumps of Vatika oil
approx 1 tbsp of olive oil.

I melted everything using the double boiler method (colander on boiling water, metal bowl on top). I had to end up putting the mix in the freezer for a bit so it could thicken up. When I took it out I used my hand and a spatula and hand mixed it until it had a fluffy consistency. IT WAS A WORK OUT DOING IT BY HAND! Ill let you know how my hair feels in the morning
BlacknGolden
BlacknGolden

http://Fotki.com/BlacknGolden

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks 29th March 2011, 8:56 pm

I twist my daughters hair with my shea butter mixture.

And whenever I use it on my hair, its for my puff and I also put some xtra on the front of my hair and then a dab of aloe vera gel-and ta dah a sea of waves.
coilykinks
coilykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down