CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair

+3
tiashaunteé
Ambitious_Tiff
BlacknGolden
7 posters

Go down

My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair Empty My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair

Post by BlacknGolden 27th December 2010, 2:41 am

I have been on this natural hair mission for a year now. The reason why I decided to go natural was due to the mass growth I experienced after years of continually putting my hair in sew in weaves. My hair grew out from totally permed chin length hair to totally natural past shoulder length hair. But ever since I've started wearing my natural hair out, I haven't experienced the growth that I experienced while weaving. Should I go back to weaving to achieve my goal of bra strap length?
BlacknGolden
BlacknGolden

http://Fotki.com/BlacknGolden

Back to top Go down

My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair Empty Re: My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 27th December 2010, 6:34 am

I wouldn't say you neccessarily HAVE to go back to weaving, but it is a good protective style. I really think that's how you were able to retain your length. You can do pretective styles with your natural hair such as twists, bantu knots, cornrows, braids, etc or continue to weave to reach your goal. "Out" hair is more susceptible to damage/breakage b/c we are more apt to constantly manipulate it and its exposed to the elements. HTH!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair Empty Re: My hair has not grown the same since Ive stopped weaving my hair

Post by tiashaunteé 28th December 2010, 12:38 pm

When you started wearing your natural what type of styles were you wearing. One of the downsides of enjoying your length is that if your ends are resting on clothing they can break off and make it appear that your hair is not growing. I love my big hair and I tried to wear satin or silk like clothing when I wear it down. In the summer I prefer to wear tanks so that my hair only brushes against my skin.

The crazy sacrifices we make...
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by CSI 28th December 2010, 7:16 pm

Do you have proof your hair is not growing? I would measure my hair every month. That way, you know for sure. That's what I do. When I think it's not growing, I'm always wrong. The ruler doesn't lie Smile That way you can actually see if it's in your head or if you have a problem. Personally, weaving sounds like a very bad idea for hair growth. Many have complained of breakage as a result. It all depends on what you want.....Long hair or healthy hair or both. I like the both option myself Smile if you want healthy hair along with length then I don't think weaving would be a good option. Just my humble opinion...Get to measuring! Smile

CSI

Back to top Go down

Post by BlacknGolden 29th December 2010, 4:39 pm

To Tiashaunteé, I originally started wearing weaves with my relaxed hair. WHen I made the decision to go natural I started wearing afro sew in weaves and half wigs. I love the big hair look. I have never been very conscious about what I wear in different weather because I just wear what I feel comfortable in. Now that its winter and cold, I wear those aviator hats with the fur on them, and I never lined it with satin.
And to CSI I never measured my hair but luckily I havent had any noticeable breakage. I want both healthy and long hair. But I have to try measuring.
BlacknGolden
BlacknGolden

http://Fotki.com/BlacknGolden

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 29th December 2010, 4:50 pm

BlacknGolden wrote:To Tiashaunteé, I originally started wearing weaves with my relaxed hair. WHen I made the decision to go natural I started wearing afro sew in weaves and half wigs. I love the big hair look. I have never been very conscious about what I wear in different weather because I just wear what I feel comfortable in. Now that its winter and cold, I wear those aviator hats with the fur on them, and I never lined it with satin.
And to CSI I never measured my hair but luckily I havent had any noticeable breakage. I want both healthy and long hair. But I have to try measuring.

None of my hats are lined (Im too lazy) but I have a few black satin bonnets that I put on and then I put my hats. Hopefully the measuring will reveal that your hair is retaining length. Keep us posted.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 29th December 2010, 5:01 pm

@BlacknGolden...
it's totally up to u whether or not u want to go back to weaving...yes it does make ur hair grow more (idk about quicker) but alot of times u do notice more growth whenever u have ur hair weaved up for a while......maybe u could try different methods to get the roots of ur hair stimulated like scalp massages and such...idk for sure, but a combination of things could keep ur hair from growing at the rate u want it; at times, hair tends to have a mind of it's own...btw, there are different stages of hair growth~

Back to top Go down

Post by OhSoCrispy 31st December 2010, 9:13 am

I notice the same with my hair. I guess it depends on the texture of your hair. I weaved up for 6 months and my hair more in that period than my 5 years natural. For some reason I can't retain any length when I wear my hair out.

OhSoCrispy

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 31st December 2010, 12:34 pm

Bumping for the newbies that may be joining/peeking to support a New Year's decision to go natural.

Weaves do not make your hair grow.
When your hair is protected from manipulation and the elements you are more likely to retain the hair that you grow.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by aggiegem 1st January 2011, 5:42 pm

Your hair is always growing, but you may not see length because your ends are exposed and more susceptible to breakage. Weaves don't necessarily damage your hair, but if they are done too tight or you don't care for your hair while you're wearing the style, damage is sure to follow. I wear them to give myself a break and length retention is great with a quick weave or braids or sew-ins. You will obviously see more length with you wear them for a couple of months or so, but it is still growing at the same rate regardless of the weave. When your hair is out, it seems slower because you're looking at it day in and day out and growth is gradual, not instantaneous.

aggiegem

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down