I need a Big Sister! /Live in the DC area/ Please Help!!!!!!

Go down

I need a Big Sister! /Live in the DC area/ Please Help!!!!!!

Post by LibbyPhree on 8th December 2010, 7:46 pm

Greetings Naturals,

I NEED HELP! I did the BC of June of this year and immediately put a texturizer in it. I have cut that all out by this time but I still have dry/ brittle hair. I would love to have have supple moisturized hair but this TWA is dry as a bone. I have become a product junkie and have tried everything from mixed chicks/ carols daughter/ homemade products and more. What's the deal? I want baby soft hair*

Last edited by LibbyPhree on 16th December 2010, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
LibbyPhree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I need a Big Sister! /Live in the DC area/ Please Help!!!!!!

Post by LittleOne on 8th December 2010, 10:40 pm

Hi LibbyPhree!

I'm not in the DC area, but I'm sure someone will pop up. In the meantime, I think you should try the Redken Real Control line or the Pantene Curls line. By line, I mean shampoo, conditioner, and styler. The Redken line is better, but Pantene is cheaper and will give similar results.

There are other products that can give you softness and curl definition, but I would try one of those suggestions so that you know what baby doll soft really feels like.
LittleOne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissCarmalita on 11th December 2010, 11:33 pm

I am in the DC area ... First, what (if you don't mine my asking) is your current routine?

I'd try staying away from shampooing more than once/twice a month. Co-washing, ACV rinses & oils are what I'd suggest you try.

DC is a humid place, but the cold humid air is contrasting with the hot dry air of heaters, etc. Depending on your texture, you might try a few things:
-baggying at night
-sealing with something heavier like shea butter or castor oil
-weekly hot oil/deep conditioning treatments (I love olive oil & giovanni's conditioners)

Feel free to hit me up with more questions.

MissCarmalita

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LibbyPhree on 16th December 2010, 7:19 pm

Thanks Ladies,

LittleOne: You are a great help and I will check out the Redken line!!!! Thanks

Miss Carmalita: Thanks again. I do not shampoo it often. I co-wash and have done the ACV rinse once, I still am in need of the baby softness though Smile

As for the routine.....I co-wash about once or twice a week. If I shampoo I use Puritian's Pride Biotin Shampoo. I have Cantu Conditioner as for the rest, I am inbetween the Kinky Curly line within that I use the Knot Today and Curling Custard. The other line that kinda works is mixed chicks (when I use this)- i use the deep conditioner. I hear both brands cost more than the average natural regimen recommended. For an oil I use the Liza Hair Elixir/Hair Balm mixed by Carols Daughter.

Its a bunch of randomness but this routine/these products have it softer than it was but not my ideal. I have 4 something tight thick coils so I am not sure what products work best for me. I have tried shea and olive oil but still have a roughness to it. HELP new sisters! Smile
LibbyPhree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MelMelBee on 22nd December 2010, 1:08 am

Hi Libby,

Your hair just might not ever get baby soft, so hopefully you will learn to accept your hair "rough" and all. Go to www.livecurlylivefree.com It let's you know what texture/porosity/thickness your hair is, so you can know what products to put in it. My hair is overlyporous, meaning it absorbs moisture very quickly. But it also means that it looses the moisture quickly too. Therefore, alot of my routine consists of protein treatments to fill in the "holes" from overprocessing. I also don't use much oils. I usually use a bit of EVCO to seal my hair, but I can't over use it, because it just feels like a big greaseball.

Protein can dry out your hair depending on the porosity/coarseness of your hair. If your hair is naturally coarse, it already produces alot of protein, so if you use products with proteins (keratin, hydrolized wheat protein, egg, avacado, etc) it can make matters worse.

Check out that website, so you can know what products work best and which to avoid like the plague.

Good Luck

Melanie
MelMelBee

View user profile http://www.experiencestmattsumc.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 16th February 2011, 1:28 pm

Hello all,

I am in need of a big sis. I've recently move to the Dmv(may) and I bc'ed In Aug and now I feel like I am stuck with the same hair style(wash and go) till my hair get longer. There is also this one part of my hair that does not want to curl at all. It just wants to stay in an afro. I have tried to experememtn with products and I always end up going back to my orginal product.

someone help
Atasteofcaramel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LibbyPhree on 10th March 2011, 1:09 pm

Thanks MelMelBee,

I guess I was told that all healthy hair is soft when it is natural and I believed it. I do not know if that is true but I do know that my hair is softer than what it feels like now. When I first BC'd it felt like a brillo pad now its better but I think it can be softer. Currently I am wearing a sewn in weave, before that micros. So far, I have not been able to style or work with my hair successfully. I have grown extremely frustrated and was a hair away from relaxing or cutting it off. I really just need to find a solution.

Atasteofcaramel: LOL welcome to the club, I do not have advice to give other than to stick with it. We will make it through this phase and be glad that we did not give up so soon, Im convinced!

Hey sisters in the DMV, HELP ATASTEOFCARAMEL OUT!

Much love,

LibbyPhree
LibbyPhree

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MissyCee on 10th March 2011, 3:02 pm

I am soooooo not an expert, but I know you should start with moisture. What do you regularly use? I don't want to push a product at you so, make sure you have a conditioner, moisturizer and oil to seal. Most and so did I start with hello hydration conditioner. It can be used as a leave in as well. With a twa, I was washing all the time and moisturizing like crazy, cause I was working out. Baggies are also good because they work with your body heat to help the oils or whatever work overnight or whenever you are using them.
MissyCee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by AnaGibson on 14th March 2011, 4:30 pm

I would recommend using Pure Sweet Almond oil and moisturizing your scalp and hair every other day. Because of the Vitamin E in the oil, it's supposed to leave the hair shiny and soft. Give it a try for a while and see if it helps. Also, don't wash your hair alot. Being as though we are in the DC area and it's still considered winter, the cold air will definitely dry your hair out. So it's all about moisturizing.

AnaGibson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Atasteofcaramel on 22nd March 2011, 9:09 am

@MissyCee I co-wash at least 3x a week and seal with EVOO and I will reapply the evoo in the morning before I leave the house to give me hair some shine. For my Co- wash I use HE totally twisted or Cream of Nature. I don't have a leave in(even thouugh I am looking for one). at least one of my co-washes I will rinse out my hair with cold water. I am unsure about bagging. I mean my hair isn't that long like 5 or 6 inches so how would I do this seeing as how I can't just bag my ends?

@AnaGibson Where can I find Pure sweet almond oil?
Atasteofcaramel

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down