CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)**UPDATE MORE PICS

+17
Naturalin2010
curlya
Umph
Sebastain13
Ambitious_Tiff
ChrsLvsBks
krazy coils
~*Kiana*~
teenatty
Renny
EMarie
jeanlouisangel
sweetdrk1
naomimaxine927
LaToya28
misskris
Fleur
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

4b wash go - Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)**UPDATE MORE PICS Empty Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)

Post by Fleur 5th December 2010, 12:23 am

Hi everyone! As I continue on my natural journey, I am moving steady on finding a regimen that contains little product use and minimal steps for styling. Ladies, I was getting completely fed up with caring for my hair because I was doing too much to maintain it. I recently realized that I was always a low maintenance person when it came to styling/caring for my hair. For the past 10 years, I've always worn it down, flat-ironed once a week, and wrapped it every night. My hair was neat, shiny, and lengthy until I started getting that bi-annual breakage thing. Anyways, I realized that I was going to fail with my natural hair because I spent too much time and product use caring for it and that's not me. If you are simplistic, stay that way and minimize your routine. Find your staple products and find a routine for you and don't jump the gun and buy everything someone mentions or you will be very frustrated. Disclaimer: I know this won't work for everyone, but I would love for someone with thicker texture hair to try it and report back, please. Very Happy

The purpose of this styling method is to:
A) Reduce the horrible frizzies I have on my hair. I have 3 different textures, so my hair is out of control
B) Reduce the excessive amount of oils/products. I'm tired of greasy ears, greasy neck, and those white balls when I wet my hair.
C) Create a wash-n-go style using almost dry hair in order to combat the winter weather.

I washed my hair, deep conditioned for 15 minutes with a plastic cap, used a leave-in, and air-dried my hair to about 80% dry. (I realized that the leave-in created white balls as well, so I'll skip that next time).

This is an example of my hair completely washed; no products and a lot of FRIZZ (4 days ago)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Products

I used 3 styling products: Curls Pomade, Darcy's Coiling Jelly, and Teeny Brush: this product has enough oil/sheen and perfect consistency for controlling fly aways. It is the consistency of the Jam products. It is best to use on dry hair because on wet hair, the shrinkage is unbelievable. Rub it from root to ends to elminate frizz. Smooth it with the teeny brush (purchased at Sally's; there are various sizes). The teeny brush is wonderful in catching those fly-away hairs and smoothing the pomade into it. Follow it up with your custard/gel of choice. I used the Darcy's jelly because it dried faster than KCCC and produced less crunch/shrinkage.

Products on Hair; Creates a setting lotion type foam, but it goes away quickly

This is how it looked almost 60% dry. Check out my forehead--the pomade has enough oil/sheen so I didn't need to add EVOO or Jojoba for this style

Frizz Before and After:

1 Hour Later: 90% dry--VERY SOFT and VERY SHINY. Looks like I washed it 5 minutes prior to the photo, but dry!!!!!! (Excuse my bright makeup, my SONY flashed like an LED light)

The shrinkage was very minimal because I believe for me that wet hair and curling creams/oils create hella shrinkage. My hair was extremely soft and full of sheen. My hair was not wet, so I didn't worry about walking outside in the cooler weather. I hope this can help someone else!

ETA: I should have posted this in the styling section. Rolling Eyes
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

4b wash go - Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)**UPDATE MORE PICS Empty Re: Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)**UPDATE MORE PICS

Post by misskris 5th December 2010, 12:39 am

that is cute. But I wonder how well that would work on longer hair....??? Probably not as well. I imagine I'd have to use LOTS more product that you did. I have not worn a WnG in I guess 2 months or so. I am trying to maintain more protective styles now to keep my hair better moisturized. Any ideas for what I would do to achieve that wet look without it being wet???? Smile
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

4b wash go - Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)**UPDATE MORE PICS Empty Re: Wash-N-Go on Dry Hair (Pics/Regimen)**UPDATE MORE PICS

Post by Fleur 5th December 2010, 1:00 am

Thank you for responding! Honestly, Miss Kris I don't think long vs short will make a difference. Let me tell you why. My daughter has been natural for 13 years and her hair is long. I never used more than 2 styling products to fix her hair. I have never heard of so many different ways to care for natural hair until I became natural myself and joined various hair boards. The basis of my style is to reduce frizz and provide moisture for a dry wash-n-go. I know I am not the only natural who uses "less instead of more" for quick styling. I used up to 6 styling products on my natural hair for a simple w-n-g before I cut that in half. I used less product and my hair came out better. I have maybe 30 or more products under my bathroom cabinet and that's ridiculous for me. I am too low maintenance and I truly believe that adequate research and knowledge of your hair likes is beneficial in creating a low maintenance routine. Now, will your hair dry in an hour? I don't know, but styling on dry hair may help cut down your drying time. On short hair, KCCC dried in 8 hours! After you wash and condition your hair, if someone told you that you can only have 3 products to style your hair, what would you grab? Very Happy I hope I answered your question.

Another thing ladies, this is not a substitute for all styling needs and conditioning. However, if you need a break and want to go quick and easy, I have no doubt you can find a simple method to get it done.

Last edited by fleur_nouvelle on 5th December 2010, 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info)
Fleur
Fleur

Back to top Go down

Post by misskris 5th December 2010, 1:45 am

LMAO!!! WOW!!! 30 items??? That is quite a bit!!! LOL But I totally understand. I had said on here on another thread that I don't want to become a PJ but I would like to try different products to see what I like. But right now I do like what I have and I just got my order today of jojoba, castor and rosemary EO. I used the jojoba today to seal after my henna.

And 8 hours??? DANG!!!! that stuff must be super thick!!

So to answer your question about what I would pick if only 3...I would say my Cantu Shea leave-in, oil, and probably this Grow My Hair Butter I just got and tried tonight on my scalp. I like it cuz it has a minty tinglyness!!! (I'm sure that's not a word- LOL) I guess that's all one really needs - a moisturizer, a sealer and something for the scalp.

So you make a very good point and I don't wanna be putting that much product on my hair either. Tonight I used 3 - the Cantu, Jojoba oil and the Grow My Hair Butter.
misskris
misskris

http://www.earthdust.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 5th December 2010, 2:59 am

Your hair (and makeup) look great! I've never tried the dry wash n go, but it's definitely worth a try. I've have to get one of those brushes, or maybe a denman. Thanks so much for the tips, and you are right about all the products. I've always been pretty low maintenance myself.

LaToya28

http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by naomimaxine927 5th December 2010, 3:08 am

I have never tried a dry wash and go. That is something I'm going to have to try. Maybe in the summer, I'm trying to do protective styles this winter.
naomimaxine927
naomimaxine927

http://beautifulkinks.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 5th December 2010, 9:52 am

Hello ladies!

I still WnG with conditioner only! I have learned that i can revive my curls with a hand full of butter and go! Because once these curls set in place...you need an act of Congress to change em! Smile I found out quickly that Sasha doesn't need or want all those stylers. I need to always keep a good leave in and for my twists a good butter. It is VERY easy to get caught up in all the products and I did in the beginning. Sneaking products in the house! But I think the best advice is knowing what your hair wants! I am happy it works. You look fab! Keep up the good work!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 5th December 2010, 10:40 am

Hey Fleur, thank u for that, and you r right... Smile

@Sweet, what conditioner does all that for you? Because I find when i do use a styler then refresh the next day with water, its not the same and eventually dries looking awful. If it was just left alone it would look and feel better Very Happy
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by EMarie 5th December 2010, 11:26 am

Hey Fleur I will have to give this a try and let you know. Wash and go is my normal style and I do get a lot of shrinkage when I put the KCCC on wet so not a bad idea!
EMarie
EMarie

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 5th December 2010, 12:28 pm

jeanlouisangel wrote:Hey Fleur, thank u for that, and you r right... Smile

@Sweet, what conditioner does all that for you? Because I find when i do use a styler then refresh the next day with water, its not the same and eventually dries looking awful. If it was just left alone it would look and feel better Very Happy
Hi I used Koils By Nature leave in! It's creamy and I love it!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by jeanlouisangel 8th December 2010, 11:41 am

Thanks Sweet...Love your avi by the way...Nice Very Happy
jeanlouisangel
jeanlouisangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 12:14 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:

I tried the conditoner only method too Sweet and like Jean - I had a dry mess the next day. Plus I like a product that elongates my curls. They're so tight. Conditioner won't do it alone. Gels will loosen them up a bit. That's magic hair "Sweet". Very Happy It's pretty in the AVI.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Renny 8th December 2010, 12:16 pm

@Fluer - Thanks so much for sharing this. I love a WNG but haven't had any success with getting more than one days wear this winter. It's great in the summer for me. I'll have to try this. I have the Curls Whipped Cream. I'll just have to figure out what gel to pair it with.

Your hair looks lovely.
Renny
Renny

http://www.rhondamcknight.net

Back to top Go down

Post by teenatty 8th December 2010, 12:24 pm

@fleur_nouvelle Thanks so much for this post. as u can see I dont have a enough hair yet for a wng but when I do I will look to ur post. I think your hair looks very pretty. I am a low matinence girl myself and I dont want to spend a lot of time on my hair. When my hair grows I will keep it simple. I use like five products in my hair already and its a 1/2 inch. Jamamcian Castor oil, tea tree oil, grape seed oil, this natural grease(forgot the name) shea butter. LOL. I need to really to STOP the madness. I am lookin for a good shampoo and conditor. I have been using motions with motions deep penetratin conditioner. I am totally obessed with products already. So thanks for all your tips. Very Happy

And hello to @misskris, @LaToya28 , @sweetdrk1, @ naomimaxine927 ,
@ jeanlouisangel, @ EMarie . I am a newbie!!!
teenatty
teenatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 8th December 2010, 12:34 pm

I'm a low maintenance person as well, so I will try to keep my regimen simple like me!! It turned out very cute!!!
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 8th December 2010, 1:13 pm

@Fleur I think the dry wash n go can work on longer hair. I plan to try it when the weather warms up again in the spring. But the key with longer hair is to apply a leave-in conditioner and let the hair dry in twists or plaits. When 80-90% dry remove the twists and plaits and apply products to hair.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 8th December 2010, 2:19 pm

i am sooooo glad u posted this @fleur_nouvelle ....ur so right about purchasing product, just b/c someone else says they're good...u have to be the judge of ur hair; not anyone else and do what works for you Smile i too am low maintance and it's a good things b/c u don't have to do too much~

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 8th December 2010, 2:29 pm

Love the last picture! You are beautiful. You should join us in the makeup thread, if you have time. We share looks, tips, tricks, hauls, etc. We'd love to have you.

I will try it and let you know how it turns out. My hair is pretty thick and SL in curly state.

Last edited by ChrsLvsBks on 8th December 2010, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added more)
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 8th December 2010, 3:53 pm

Girl you are too beat! Love it! Never would have guessed you just did a wash and go. I have not quite figured that out yet. You look fabulous! Laughing
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 8th December 2010, 5:32 pm

jeanlouisangel wrote:Thanks Sweet...Love your avi by the way...Nice Very Happy

Renny wrote:
sweetdrk1 wrote:

I tried the conditoner only method too Sweet and like Jean - I had a dry mess the next day. Plus I like a product that elongates my curls. They're so tight. Conditioner won't do it alone. Gels will loosen them up a bit. That's magic hair "Sweet". Very Happy It's pretty in the AVI.
thank you ladies! Hi Teenatty!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 9th December 2010, 1:25 pm

I can definitely see this working for me using Karen's Body Beautiful & Hair Cream after airdrying with my leave in of Curls conditioner, aloe vera juice/gel, castor & jojoba oils.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 9th December 2010, 4:15 pm

Im still in twa mode so this could be something that I could do after a wash or when I dont feel like doing twist/coils
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by Umph 9th December 2010, 4:37 pm

@ChrsLvsBks, I have hair envy Laughing I can't wait until my hair gets to that length. Beautiful.

@fleur_nouvelle, Beautiful. Definitely curl definition.
Umph
Umph

Back to top Go down

Post by curlya 9th December 2010, 5:43 pm

@ Fleur - Thank you for sharing...
This sounds like something I would like to try... a few questions. Are you doing this everyday?
and if so does it feel like there is build up?
curlya
curlya

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturalin2010 9th December 2010, 6:02 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:
I can definitely see this working for me using Karen's Body Beautiful & Hair Cream after airdrying with my leave in of Curls conditioner, aloe vera juice/gel, castor & jojoba oils.

Absolutely mahvelous!!! I love your hair. What was your regimen using those products. Is the hair cream your styling product and what were your ratios for the Curls product mixture for your leave in? Everytime I do my twists for a twist out I have terrible shrinkage. This time I styled it dry, but just misted my section with distilled water. So, I'll see when I take it down tomorrow.
Naturalin2010
Naturalin2010

http://kaynatural1.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next