CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure...

3 posters

Go down

Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure... Empty Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure...

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd December 2010, 7:42 pm

Hello all! I'm a new member here and I need some help! I know this will sound a lil kooky but I have no clue what state my hair is in. I used to perm but just kinda stopped (more out of poorness than anything else... Struggling college student; y'all know the drill). I have no idea of my last perm but I have gotten my ends trimmed a few times since. How can I tell if me hair is natural...? I was rocking sew ins for like a year and a half but have recently decided to just where my hair. Does anyone have any tips? I don't even know what type of hair I have... So lost, lol. Please help. confused
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure... Empty Re: Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure...

Post by Butterfly125 2nd December 2010, 8:29 pm

Hi, Ambitious_Tiff! Personally speaking, my natural hair is VERY noticeably different from my permed ends. When I wash it and it's still wet, I can see a distinct point at which my natural hair ends and my permed ends begin. When I want to see how much new growth I have (without actually measuring, that is), I stand in front of a mirror, take a patch of hair at my crown and I pull it straight up, not enough to pull it straight but just gentle enough to hold it up. I can see my natural hair trying to curl.

As far as your hairtype, NaturallyCurly.com is one site has a guide and descriptions of the different hairtypes to help you figure yours out.

Hope this helps Smile
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure... Empty Re: Transitioning, natural, I am not really sure...

Post by Butterfly125 2nd December 2010, 8:31 pm

Oh, btw, I am by no means a big sister at this point...in fact, I need one...lol!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd December 2010, 8:59 pm

Hey there Butterfly125! Ok. I see. What exactly does it mean to be natural? I mean I straighten my hair sometimes, but I no longer perm... I guess I need to wash and try to figure this stuff out...
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 2nd December 2010, 9:09 pm

Ohhhh! I think I totally misunderstood Embarassed I think that's a personal perspective. I've read posts that show different people can have very different opinions about what exactly is natural. I guess that's for you to say. I consider myself natural (or transitioning to natural) because I am no longer straightening my hair with chemicals. However, I don't heat style my hair either, but that's because I don't want to damage it. When I think of myself being natural, I see myself with curly hair, not straight hair. But that's only my opnion about myself.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd December 2010, 9:30 pm

OH NO! You read my first post correctly! Lol, that cluelessness gets people everytime. Lol, I won't say I will never straighten my hair again cuz it would prolly be a lie. I am proficient in hot comb and flat iron! I haven't used them much as of late how I don't discount the idea I may want to pick them up again some day. I percieve natural as not using chemicals to manipulate the texture of your hair in a permanent manner. A lot of shampoos, conditioners, gels, etc have "chemicals" in them but don't permanently affect the hair (Unless you're over doing it I suppose) I feeling going natural has been a real full body experience. In treating my hair better, I have started treating my body better. Eating better, have more motivation to exercise... Have you experienced this? Lol, am I going through like some kind of going natural honeymoon phase?
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 2nd December 2010, 9:41 pm

BAHAHA! You are too funny...lol! But you are right when you say "full body experience" because since I've been learning about how to care for my hair, I've also been learning things I didn't know about caring for my skin. And though I eat pretty well (lost 20 lbs last year Smile), I am just re-motivated since I know it's good for my hair as well as for my body.

And you clueless? Yeah, right...you got me with that one...lol!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd December 2010, 10:43 pm

LOL! A mess, honey! 20 lbs? What did you do? Clearly I am crazy and am starting Insanity tonight when I get off work. Yeah, skin care is a biggie. Even though I have evaded acne thus far, both my sisters have it. So I am always looking for something to fight it in case the adult kinda tries to get me. I was reading somewhere in internet land about how tea tree oil can help it... Something about anti fungal properties... I figured I will try a lil in the shower scrubbed on my back. I don't have many scars but I am losing the stretch mark battle. Crying or Very sad
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 2nd December 2010, 11:43 pm

LOL @ losing the stretch mark battle Smile I got lucky with that one. However, I am fighting that adult acne you're talking about. I only get occasional breakouts, but at the age of 43 and since I didn't have acne as a teenager, I don't think that's fair...lol. People rave about the acne fighting properties in aloe vera, so I just starting using the gel on my face as a moisturizer with a couple drops of vitamin E.

As for my -20 lbs, I did Weight Watchers, because the one thing it didn't do was restrict what I could eat, so for me it was perfect.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 2nd December 2010, 11:54 pm

Dang, I know that sux. I guess that just goes to show we all share the same struggles at some point. Would it be considered adult acne @ age 24??? Aloe and E... Sounds good. Let me know how that works out. Sounds like it would work well. I gotta get something to help my bacne, lol. Weight Watchers, huh? I need to holla at them. J Hud really did that thing! Might try it if Insanity is an epic failure, lol!
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd December 2010, 12:10 am

It's not that bad since it's not all the time and usually unless I'm stressin' about something it's just the one on my chin. Okay, Murad makes an acne treatment that comes in a spray specifically so you can get to those hard-to-reach places like your back. Maybe you can try that. At least you're willing to try Insanity...'cause I'm not...lol! Let me know how that works out. Have you ever tried his abs videos? I tried, but I think I spent more time laughing than exercising...lol.

Good luck!
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 12:18 am

No. Shaun T makes me laugh. I think its his lisp... I know that is wrong but Lord forgive me. I am gonna take some before and (hopefully) after pics. I will certainly keep you posted! I love you
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 3rd December 2010, 7:41 pm

Ambitious_Tiff wrote:OH NO! You read my first post correctly! Lol, that cluelessness gets people everytime. Lol, I won't say I will never straighten my hair again cuz it would prolly be a lie. I am proficient in hot comb and flat iron! I haven't used them much as of late how I don't discount the idea I may want to pick them up again some day. I percieve natural as not using chemicals to manipulate the texture of your hair in a permanent manner. A lot of shampoos, conditioners, gels, etc have "chemicals" in them but don't permanently affect the hair (Unless you're over doing it I suppose) I feeling going natural has been a real full body experience. In treating my hair better, I have started treating my body better. Eating better, have more motivation to exercise... Have you experienced this? Lol, am I going through like some kind of going natural honeymoon phase?

heyy Ambitious_Tiff, i'm kind of feeling the same way as Butterfly125 on the whole "big" sister thing, lol since i'm only 15 and i've been transitioning for about 5 months now Very Happy. but i can totally relate to your post above. ever since i started going natural, its been a life changing experience. like you, i've started to treat my body better inside and out. like i've given up cheeseburgers from fastfood places(and i've given up mcdonalds totally), i've started bringing my own lunch to school at least 3 times a week, and just yesterday i made my own all natural brown sugar honey and extra virgin olive oil face scrub(it worked wonders by the way, i was super happy with the turn out Razz). but yeah, i totally agree that when you go naturall sooooo much more than just your hair is affected also. cheers.
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd December 2010, 8:43 pm

Hey, nice to see your gorgeous face, Ambitious!

@ SimplyNzuri - You are simply a cutie-patooti! I'm sorry...I have nieces your age, and I call them things like "sweet stuff" and "lady bug"...lol. Anyway, it is really great that you are learning to take care of yourself inside and out so early.
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by Ambitious_Tiff 3rd December 2010, 9:06 pm

@ Butterfly125 Awe thanx! I just hope I maintain as well as you have! Girl that Insanity ain no joke! Just to let you know. I have started now so I gotta "push play everyday" as they say.

@SimplyNzuri Now that is awesome! 15? By the time you get my age, you'll be a pro! Girl keep up those good habits you have developed and you will live a long, healthy life! I've been experienmenting with making my own sugar scrubs as well. Salt scrubs are just too abrasive for me.
Ambitious_Tiff
Ambitious_Tiff

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly125 3rd December 2010, 9:23 pm

Thank you, Ambitious_Tiff!! That's sweet! Good for you hangin' in there with Shaun T. Keep me posted on your progress Smile
Butterfly125
Butterfly125

Back to top Go down

Post by SimplyNzuri 4th December 2010, 1:58 am

@Butterfly125- Haha, it's totally cool. All of my aunts wall me names like that. And thank you soo much for the encouragement Smile.

@Ambitious_Tiff- I hope so, and Thank You Smile! I don't think I've ever done a salt scrub before. All I know is the scrubs they sell in the stores are way too expensive, and the sugar scrub is right up my budget alley Very Happy.
SimplyNzuri
SimplyNzuri

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down