CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Doctorates Degree guidance

5 posters

Go down

Doctorates Degree guidance Empty Doctorates Degree guidance

Post by CiaE 30th November 2010, 6:34 pm

Hey guys I am planning on going to grad school fairly soon for pysch... so i thought. I really cant imagine myself going back to school for such a vast amount of time anymore. I know that without an advance degree I may be pretty much screwed. I hagve yet to take the GRE's ( barely know what they are lol) and today i foundout baout the psyD instead of the PhD's. I am not completly sure what the psyD are...
Basically I am going through some young life crisis lol I have no idea what i want to do anymore with a psych degree and may just drop it down to a minor.. I am in the process of creating my own major though which hopefully gets approved but even that may not be a success...Because even though i am creating what i want to do in life, it may be just as hard to find a job...
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Doctorates Degree guidance Empty Re: Doctorates Degree guidance

Post by LittleOne 30th November 2010, 7:09 pm

Lol CiaE! Sounds like a quarter life crisis!

Only you can answer your questions, but I will say that you shouldn't pursue an advanced degree in something you're not passionate about. There will be days when you are so tired and frustrated that you'll want to give up. Make sure you study something that you love so much that you can get through those rough days with some sanity.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sebastain13 1st December 2010, 12:06 am

Ditto LittleOne
Sebastain13
Sebastain13

http://<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 1st December 2010, 12:50 pm

Thanks guys!! I really do agree... i guess i have self seeking to do
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Karyn 8th December 2010, 7:55 pm

i know i'm late, but...

you take the GRE's (i think) to get into grad school, so you wouldn't take it at 19 (unless you're somehow in your last year of uni)

i definitely agree with littleone, especially for something as specific as psych. i think a lot of people are deciding to pursue psych because they think it's easy and don't really have a career in mind and end up like "wtf am i gonna do?!" lol. definitely pursue something you're passionate about and it'll all work out in the end!

i'm planning on majoring in psych and (hopefully) double majoring in special education to become a school psychologist. i know i'm gonna get my masters, at least, but i'm not sure if i wanna attempt to open up my own practice.
Karyn
Karyn

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 8th December 2010, 11:44 pm

I majored in psych and went on the get my M.S. in I/O psych. The best advice I can really give you is to REALLY think about what you want to do. If you are truly interested in pursuing a career in psychology you'll have to narrow it down to which area you want to pursue (clinical, cognitive, social, I/O, experimental) and its best to do it really early.

In order to get into a PhD program today you have to do exceptional on the GRE above a 1200 and have good grades above a 3.5, and have some research experience. The GRE score is really key, so its best to really study for that. If I were you I would go to princetonreview.com and take a free practice exam to see where you stand. If you're scoring around 1100 or so you'll just need to put some work in to get where you want. If you are scoring really low you may want to reconsider what you're going to do. I know this because I've been there, got a 3.72 undergrad gpa, 2 years of research experience, 3 solid letters of rec but couldn't get the 1200 score even after 2 preparation sessions and was denied.

Also for people with a B.A. in psych who do not go on to grad school, the chances of getting a good/ decent paying job is this economy is not great. So you'll have to get a master's or PhD and depending on what area you're interested in a M.S. is limiting. So if you're not committed to the higher degree then I would change majors.

As far as the PhD vs Psych D it really just depends on what area of psych you're interested in. Good luck, hope this helps
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum