CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Breakage?!?!?

+2
LittleOne
Ms.Fenty
6 posters

Go down

Breakage?!?!? Empty Breakage?!?!?

Post by Ms.Fenty 30th November 2010, 5:00 pm

So I've been transitioning for 10 months now. I thought I had a good idea of how to take care of my hair at this point. I don't use heat, I deep condition and detangle once a week. I moisturize and seal as needed, if my hair doesn't feel dry I won't touch it and I do braid outs and buns. I've noticed lately that my hair is breaking, only a little though, like nowhere near how much it was breaking when I was relaxing but it's still breaking. I noticed it in the middle top and middle back area, I see short pieces of curly hair, but they're shorter than most of my new growth, so it must be breaking above the line of demarcation, right? I am very gentle with my hair, but I do have a tough time detangling and that's when I see (and hear) my hair breaking. I mean it is just a few snaps, but it worries me.

I've only done a protein treatment about two times, but it didn't seem to work and honestly protein scares me. I've read horror stories about protein overload and I don't want it to happen to me. I did a henna treatment over the weekend but my hair honestly doesn't feel much different (i.e. stronger). I know people say it's normal and that's why you shouldn't transition for too long, but I'm really not ready to BC yet.

Any suggestions ladies, should I suck it up and do some more protein treatments? Should I henna a few more times? Is a little breakage unavoidable? Are the short curlies just new hairs that have sprouted up and are growing fresh? What can I do?
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Breakage?!?!? Empty Re: Breakage?!?!?

Post by LittleOne 30th November 2010, 7:15 pm

I think breakage is hard to avoid on transitioning hair. All the protein and henna treatments in the world cannot repair severely damaged hair. You may not think it's that damaged, but if it keeps breaking despite all the TLC you're giving it...that shows you how damaged it really is.

You gotta get rid of it! Even cutting off another inch will help. The most damaged hair is always at the ends, right? Get as much as you can cut off...there's a long way between a significant hair cut and the big chop.

HTH Hang in there, sounds like you're doing all the right things. Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 30th November 2010, 7:21 pm

Just read your comment about the breakage being above the demarcation line, didn't catch that before. If the buns and braidouts are causing you to pull your hair too much, the hair will keep breaking in that area. What I said before about protein and henna, still applies.

You have to focus on the pulling because you can't solve it with products alone. A good silicone serum, can help you detangle your new growth with less force. However, I do think a little breakage is unavoidable in this case. It'll still better to transition than do the big chop if you're not ready for it.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 1st December 2010, 7:31 pm

have you tried baggying? I think that would be a good way to increase moisture/decrease breaks and splits in hair
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 2nd December 2010, 6:40 pm

Omg i have the same problem as you I think I'm just gonna cut off an inch, I take care of my hair but have a prob detangling too and hear the pop of strands...I deep treat with henna n placenta...and i'm gonna do it again another 2 weeks
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 2nd December 2010, 9:12 pm

This is why I love this forum, thanks ladies for your input. I have been putting cones back into my regimen lately but I start to feel buildup after a few weeks and then I go back to cone free for a while but I think I'll have to stick w/the cones right now, clarify and start all over again. I did some research on new hairs growing in, and I think its very likely that this is the reason for my really short hairs, b/c they're not in places where I normally part or pull on my hair for a bun (I think). But the popping is still very real, so I'll have to find some remedies for that (cones, more henna, etc).

@krissyc39, I am not a fan of the baggy method, b/c I don't really understand the point, but I may try it again in the near future and see if it helps.

Oh, and I do plan a cut soon, I just have to wait to straighten my hair (it doesn't like to be straightened, so I do it very rarely)
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 4th December 2010, 1:40 pm

But the popping is still very real

I do not use henna(not against it, just have not tried it ) but I noticed that you have only tried it once and you said that you did 2 protein treatments. Perhaps you need to give the products an opportunity to work over a longer period. Also, everything that is beneficial to the structure of your hair may not be immediately apparent from the outside. You want your hair to be stronger(stop breaking), not necessarily feel stronger.

As for styling, you know your preferences. A twist out (for me) is an invitation to tangles and single strand knots. I know a bun is a protective style, but you have to examine what it may be doing to your hair. While fastening the bun loosely relieves stress at that point and the bun protects your ends, the surface of the remaining hair is still technically exposed. Perhaps you can try twisting your hair and then gathering the twists into a loose bun. ALso try to vary the position of your bun.

HTH

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms.Fenty 4th December 2010, 3:05 pm

I tend to wear my old braidout in a messy bun so it's never tight and I definitely change up the position. So I don't think my style is the issue (perhaps the process though, Idk). But you're right about me needing to give the protein and henna a few more tries to really see how it works. I do get pretty impatient and want things to be easy and work immediately, so I'll have to work on that Smile

@purplec18, what do you mean when you say you use henna and placenta? ummm, placenta???
Ms.Fenty
Ms.Fenty

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 4th December 2010, 4:13 pm

Jc over at The Natural Haven did a very informative post about placenta. Basically, stay away!

http://thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com/2010/09/hormone-containing-hair-products-what.html
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 7th December 2010, 12:42 pm

sorry for the late response i was studying for an exam its a product, but.....now i wont be using that anymore i'm thinking of buying Curls curl ecstasy deep conditioner...what do you guys think about that anyone used it?
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 7th December 2010, 3:10 pm

Yes. I was experiencing some breaking last week. Normally when that happens its time for a protein treatment. But you should be fine with protein as long as you keep a equal balance with moisture. Do them when your hair needs them. You just have to listen to your hair and give it what it needs at the time. I find that you can't put your hair on schedule. Roll with the punches and give it what it needs.
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by FalconTress 7th December 2010, 4:08 pm

tpayne22 wrote:

But you should be fine with protein as long as you keep a equal balance with moisture. Do them when your hair needs them. You just have to listen to your hair and give it what it needs at the time. I find that you can't put your hair on schedule. Roll with the punches and give it what it needs..

I am not knocking what you suggest, I simply choose to take a proactive approach. Damage can occur before hair shows visibleor palpable signs. I take the necessary steps to prevent dryness and breakage rather than go into "rescue" mode in response to symptoms or problems.

FalconTress

Back to top Go down

Post by tpayne22 7th December 2010, 4:28 pm

Yes I agree prevention is key but if you feel you are doing everything in your power to maintain a healthy mane of hair sometimes your hair might be off needing something more and you have to figure out where to tweak it. Sometimes you might not know til that bus halts. Thats all which at least for me is though trial and error. Its all a learning curve.
tpayne22
tpayne22

Back to top Go down

Post by purplec18 7th December 2010, 5:17 pm

Have any of you ever used curls ecstasy conditioner? how good is it for a deep treatment? i'm looking for something organic...(not an organic freak) just tired of all these 'gunky' conditioners...
purplec18
purplec18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down