Re: Runners-let's talk races, experiences and whatever

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 26th November 2010, 3:18 am

Well done summerbreeze76!
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 on 26th November 2010, 8:25 am

Rudo'sKinks wrote:Well done summerbreeze76!

Thank You!
summerbreeze76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iculukin on 26th November 2010, 8:34 am

cluelesscurl wrote:Is there a website for someone like me who wants to know more. Man, I wish you guys lived closer to me.

Hello cluelesscurls!! I don't know where your actually located in Florida but Disney holds a few races throughout year
I did the half Marathon once and it was so much fun! You run through the Parks and everyone who finishes gets a medal there are thousands of people running and even more cheering you on. Heck I stopped to take pictures with goofy Mickey and Donald! I am going to do it again in January 2012 i miss the cut off date this year.. they also have shorter races like the 5k and some people will run the full Marathon the the next day run the half...now that's not me but they have to be outside their minds for tha
iculukin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl on 27th November 2010, 1:14 am

@iculukin I'm in SW FL. It sucks a bit after checking out some of the sites provided the closet group near me to train is in tampa or miami. I heard of the disney marathon sounds like fun. Where can I get some info?

cluelesscurl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 27th November 2010, 1:47 am

summerbreeze76 wrote:Hey Ladies. Im am so excited. I ran in the DC 5K Turkey Trot this morning. I ran the entire thing except for two minutes (My Ipod was playing the wrong music, so i stopped to find a good song and the break wasnt bad either LOL) I am so happy, i didnt think i could do the whole thing, but it was absolutely great!!!

Happy Turkey Day!!

Good job!!! I'm glad you are enjoying running the Couch to 5k this time around!!

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 on 27th November 2010, 1:20 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:
summerbreeze76 wrote:Hey Ladies. Im am so excited. I ran in the DC 5K Turkey Trot this morning. I ran the entire thing except for two minutes (My Ipod was playing the wrong music, so i stopped to find a good song and the break wasnt bad either LOL) I am so happy, i didnt think i could do the whole thing, but it was absolutely great!!!

Happy Turkey Day!!

Good job!!! I'm glad you are enjoying running the Couch to 5k this time around!!

Thank You!
summerbreeze76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iculukin on 27th November 2010, 8:49 pm

cluelesscurl wrote:@iculukin I'm in SW FL. It sucks a bit after checking out some of the sites provided the closet group near me to train is in tampa or miami. I heard of the disney marathon sounds like fun. Where can I get some info?

espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/find/ I hope this gives you information about some of the races!!!
iculukin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by blkbeauty2010 on 1st December 2010, 11:08 pm

natural83 wrote:Yayyy for this thread! I myself am a runner and I absolutely enjoy it! Last year, I trained & completed my first full marathon...all 26.2 miles! YAYYY! It was definitely a good feeling to challenge myself and actually complete the whole thing! My finish time was 5:12:33. The goal was to finish under 5 hours, preferably around 4:45, or 4:50 but around mile 22 I started cramping in my legs really bad, so I had to take some time to stop and stretch, and clearly that took up some of my goal time! All in all, it was a great experience and guess what? Im back again training for my second full marathon! (I know, Im psycho! lol) But yes, Im back at it again. I've been training with my running group since August and will be running the Chevron Houston Marathon for the second time here in Houston on January 30, 2011. This year I don't think I'll be as nervous since I've done it before, but my goal is to beat my time from last year, so we'll see how that goes!

Right now, we are training and are up to running 15 miles in distance. At the beginning of October, I did a 10 mile race (me and my group) and finished at 1:35:13, at about a 9:36 per mile pace. So that was pretty cool! But yes running is such a great way to stay in shape! I've become addicted! lol! Its a great way to just clear your mind & stay focused! I absolutely enjoy it, although I do hate getting up at 5am on Saturdays for my long runs! hahaha! But once Im up and going, Im good to go!

So glad that you all are running as well! The more you do it, the better you get! Consistency is key, along with a good pace! Happy Running!

what group do you run with and where? Iv been looking for a running group attempted a couple of meetup sessions but had no luck. i usually end up at memorial by myself and stay on track for a month or so and then fall off because i lack the "group support" or motivation.
blkbeauty2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by iculukin on 2nd December 2010, 8:50 pm

rundisney.com/espn5k

Disney is having a 5k in march... just thought i would spread the word! Their races are a lot of fun and entertaining!
iculukin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 6th December 2010, 4:11 am

So, I did my 20 miler, ladies! Finished in 3 hours 26 minutes. My legs were cramping after but I really enjoyed the run. Wasn't sure I was going to make it to the finish but I did...with some dignity cheers Now I need to conquer a full marathon.
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by summerbreeze76 on 6th December 2010, 12:16 pm

Rudo'sKinks wrote:So, I did my 20 miler, ladies! Finished in 3 hours 26 minutes. My legs were cramping after but I really enjoyed the run. Wasn't sure I was going to make it to the finish but I did...with some dignity cheers Now I need to conquer a full marathon.

Congratulations. Great Job. You will conquer the Marathon!
summerbreeze76

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 6th December 2010, 12:55 pm

Rudo'sKinks wrote:So, I did my 20 miler, ladies! Finished in 3 hours 26 minutes. My legs were cramping after but I really enjoyed the run. Wasn't sure I was going to make it to the finish but I did...with some dignity cheers Now I need to conquer a full marathon.

That's awesome!! I cant imagine running 20 miles Shocked. If you made it this far, I know you will conquet the full marathon with no problems.

As soon as I get these few extra pounds off, I will start back doing Bridge to 10k.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 7th December 2010, 6:07 am

@summerbreeze76, Lynnieluve Thank you for the encouragement, ladies. Do keep us posted on your progress!
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat on 3rd February 2011, 2:12 am

Hey Runners! What going on with you. I am training for the Triple Crown (5k, 10k and the papa john 10miler) this leads up the the Kentucky Derby Mini/full marathon. (I'm doing the mini) I am having a super hard time getting motivated to train. My first run is this month, the 26th, my 43 birthday. Uugh. Its has been below 30 so I haven't been able to run out side. It will kill me if I don't get some outside runs in before the races start.
BattleKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 on 3rd February 2011, 2:56 am

Hello ladies!

Just thought I'd give you guys a report on my latest marathon!

So I'd been training for the Chevron Houston Marathon here in Houston since August, and the race was this past Sunday, January 30th! Yayyyy...its' OVER!!! I completed my 2nd full marathon and I must say the feeling is so awesome! I was stressing all week because of the weather. The weather Sunday was very lousy...it rained almost the whole time, and it was quite warm and humid for a race, and if you're a seasoned runner, you already know that humidity is not a good sign and can definitely effect your performance!!!! However, because of the rain...there were still a few breezes that came through, thank god, and it was cloudy so there was no sun which I think saved us all! Had the sun been out, it would've have been hot and crucial! My goal was to finish at 4:45, but I ran short of that goal and finished at 5:07:26. I wasn't too upset about it because I beat my time last year, and considering how rainy it was...i was happy to have gotten done in the time I did. I believe I would've finished under 5 hours if I hadn't have had such bad muscle cramps around mile 23 and 24. I tell ya...those cramps can be sooooo crucial! But all in all...it was a great race! I'm already scoping out my strategy for next year! Lol! I really wanna run in the NYC marathon, which is in November, but If I do that, I'm sure I'll have to start training in like June. So we'll see...I'll keep you guys posted!

Here's a pic of me on the course right around mile 25! Almost done...slight smile for the camera to get to the finish! YAYYY!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Happy Running!

Last edited by natural83 on 20th February 2011, 4:37 am; edited 2 times in total
natural83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 on 3rd February 2011, 3:02 am

blkbeauty2010 wrote:
natural83 wrote:Yayyy for this thread! I myself am a runner and I absolutely enjoy it! Last year, I trained & completed my first full marathon...all 26.2 miles! YAYYY! It was definitely a good feeling to challenge myself and actually complete the whole thing! My finish time was 5:12:33. The goal was to finish under 5 hours, preferably around 4:45, or 4:50 but around mile 22 I started cramping in my legs really bad, so I had to take some time to stop and stretch, and clearly that took up some of my goal time! All in all, it was a great experience and guess what? Im back again training for my second full marathon! (I know, Im psycho! lol) But yes, Im back at it again. I've been training with my running group since August and will be running the Chevron Houston Marathon for the second time here in Houston on January 30, 2011. This year I don't think I'll be as nervous since I've done it before, but my goal is to beat my time from last year, so we'll see how that goes!

Right now, we are training and are up to running 15 miles in distance. At the beginning of October, I did a 10 mile race (me and my group) and finished at 1:35:13, at about a 9:36 per mile pace. So that was pretty cool! But yes running is such a great way to stay in shape! I've become addicted! lol! Its a great way to just clear your mind & stay focused! I absolutely enjoy it, although I do hate getting up at 5am on Saturdays for my long runs! hahaha! But once Im up and going, Im good to go!

So glad that you all are running as well! The more you do it, the better you get! Consistency is key, along with a good pace! Happy Running!

what group do you run with and where? Iv been looking for a running group attempted a couple of meetup sessions but had no luck. i usually end up at memorial by myself and stay on track for a month or so and then fall off because i lack the "group support" or motivation.

@blkbeauty2010 I'm just now seeing this...sorry for the late response! When I did my first marathon last year (January 2010), I trained with a sports charity group called Team In Training. This year, I trained with Woodlands Fit. (I live in the Spring/Woodlands area) Woodlands Fit is a part of the USA Fit running company and they have groups all over. There's actually a Houston Fit that meets at Memorial! Which area of town do you live in? I know there's also a Kingwood Fit & a Fort Bend Fit as well and they are all part of the USA Fit running company. So any of those groups would be highly suggested! They're basically the same, but run in different areas of town!
natural83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 4th February 2011, 4:31 am

Hello ladies. It's good to hear how you are getting along with running. I have been out of action for almost two months now. I've missed out on a number of crucial races all because I twisted my ankle some time in September and didn't bother to pay attention to it. I did a number of races after that but when I ran 15k on the 9th of Jan after doing nothing for most of December, it hit me hard. I started feeling the pain after 10k and the next day my ankle was so swollen, it looked like a mango. I've been going for physiotherapy and I started walking on Tuesday. I'm walking 8ks a day. I feel a bit of pain today. Lesson to self and others. Listen to your body and get "sh*t" sorted out in time. Sad . Needless to say, I'm not in a happy place right now.
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 4th February 2011, 11:34 am

Congratulations Natural83!!! One day that will be me!!

@ Rudo's Kinks - I'm sorry to hear that. Listen to your body and get better soon.

As for me, I stopped running for about a month but now I am back at it and preparing for two races (5k). One in March (St Paddys Day) and one in April. I picked up 5 lbs over the holidays and I can't seem to shake them. I feel like I'm running in slow motion sometimes. I'm up to running 30 mins straight which is about 2.5 miles. Next week I will add 5 more mins to my time. Wish me luck.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 7th February 2011, 6:46 am

Thanks Lynnieluve. I'm hoping to take a run tonight. Let us know how you get on with your races

@BattleKat
Good luck with your mini and I hope you do get to run outside. Keep us posted. Turning 43? You don't look a day over 30.

@natural83
Always consistent. You inspire me.
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat on 15th February 2011, 11:52 pm

The tempature finally made it into the 40's and I was able to run outside. It was a short run but it felt really good. I had a great run and I have 2 job interviews scheduled this week, I think I am getting my mojoe back.
BattleKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 18th February 2011, 3:25 am

I've been running 4ks for 3 consecutive mornings. I think my ankle is getting stronger but I can feel it pop sometimes. Man, it's hard. It's like I'm starting all over again.
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by natural83 on 20th February 2011, 4:42 am

Thanks guys for the congrats! I'll definitely be checkin in on this forum to see how everybody's coming along with running and upcoming races, as well as to keep you updated on any races that I decide to do in the spring/summer.

@Rudo'sKinks I hope your ankle gets better soon! I know you are so ready to be 100% again!
natural83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudo'sKinks on 21st February 2011, 4:29 am

@natural83 Hadn't seen the pic of you running. I like! I'll post one of me running soon. Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice if we all posted at least one pic of us in action?
Rudo'sKinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BattleKat on 23rd February 2011, 12:34 am

I ran 6 miles on Monday, oh what a high. I am going to try to do 4 on wednesday but I have a second interview tomorrow and I might not have enough time to get it in. I think this running is good for me in a lot of ways.
BattleKat

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 23rd February 2011, 1:37 am

I ran 2 miles, walked 1 mile and ran another mile today. My 5k is little less than a month away. I'm well on my way to reaching my goal...being able to finish the race...Haha!!

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum: