CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Basics of Transitioning

+5
Treece
gettinback2myroots
letha
LittleOne
~*Kiana*~
9 posters

Go down

Basics of Transitioning Empty Basics of Transitioning

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 3rd November 2010, 5:52 pm

Here's my story....if you read it all you are WONDERFUL!!! (I will try to keep it brief)
Last relaxer was Summer 2008
Cut off about half of my "creamy crack" treated hair April 2010, so I'm HalfNHalf now!! LOL
Being in a more rural area I am limited to my product base, but want to start doing some of the curly styles, as opposed to now where all I know is to still blow dry and flat iron.
So my question to you ladies is give me some basics: tools, products, etc. that I can find at pretty much any CVS, Walmart, etc type store.

TIA(thanks in advance) for your help and patience with me as I learn my way around this transition! cat
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Basics of Transitioning Empty Re: Basics of Transitioning

Post by LittleOne 3rd November 2010, 7:20 pm

Hi Kiana!

Here's a few things:

Make sure to comb your hair out with a wide tooth comb after you apply hair conditioner in the shower. You want to make sure that you are extra gentle with your new growth and the demarcation line.

Depending on the thickness of your hair, you may just be able to two strand twist and let them air dry for a twist out. If your relaxed ends are very fine or stick straight, try a wrap lotion and some flexi rods or other rollers. The wrap lotion (a drugstore brand like Motions or TCB should be fine) will help your new growth stretch and it will also help set some curls on your ends.

Beware of putting too much stress on your hair. It's so fragile right now! If you start noticing more breakage than usual, try some pinned up styles that keep your ends protected. HTH Smile
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 3rd November 2010, 8:10 pm

Surprised Thanks, many people viewed this already, so I appreciate that you were willing to answer and help.
I will look for some of those products next time I'm at the store.
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 3rd November 2010, 8:20 pm

Also if you are doing the 2 strand twist. I think Tajliah Waleed had products at CVS. She has a product call lock it up.. That works great on my twist out.. Like little one stated for the relax ends you will need some perm rods and setting lotion to set your relax ends.. Also check out some You tube videos on how to style transitioning hair I think they may have one on 2 strand twist.. Also even though I suggest these products what work for me may not work for you but that is just the learning process..

Good Luck

Sometime a post get a lot of views but it just might be the person viewing the post is not sure what to put because it took me a minute to think what to tell you that may help you out
letha
letha

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 3rd November 2010, 10:06 pm

@letha
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it!

I agree many ppl may have been unsure, and I can understand. I was just thanking her that she had some info for me.

Smile
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by letha 4th November 2010, 9:49 am

Here is a video.. For 2 strand twist.. I don't use the products she use and I didn't put rubber bands on the ends of my hair. I did co-wash and Deep Conditioned my hair..