CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do I or Don't I?

4 posters

Go down

Do I or Don't I? Empty Do I or Don't I?

Post by KinaGolightly 24th November 2009, 2:25 pm

I am thinking about transitioning after hearing a few of my friends stories and falling in love with their hair. I am just unhappy with my hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I cut it off a few months ago and I usually wear a sew in weave, but I just want to wear my hair but be happy with it. I am not sure if I even have the right texture of hair to even transition to natural. Help!!
KinaGolightly
KinaGolightly

Back to top Go down

Do I or Don't I? Empty Re: Do I or Don't I?

Post by dajewel 24th November 2009, 2:51 pm

hello,

congratulations on making the decision on going natural!! firstly, there is no 'right' texture of hair to transition. Always remember that good hair is healthy hair that grow out of your scalp. i think keeping these points in mind will help you in your natural journey.

what is your regimen? how often are you shampooing? DT? are you co-washing? answering these questions will help figure out how to transition (if you want to) and/or how to take care of your natural hair.
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Baiana 24th November 2009, 2:55 pm

Hey Kina,

I just made the decision to transition last month, so I'm not sure I have the "right texture" to transition, either. But, for me, the decision to transition is a byproduct of a gradual change to a more healthy, natural approach to caring for my body, inside and out. I can say that, since visiting this site, reading more about natural haircare and putting these methods to practice, my scalp itches less and I've had less shedding and breakage. For me, that's a huge thing! But, your decision to transition is entirely up to you. I'd say read up on natural hair, maybe try out a few hairstyles and products and see how it goes. Sew ins and relaxers will always be there if you'd rather continue that route. Good luck!
Baiana
Baiana

Back to top Go down

Post by KinaGolightly 24th November 2009, 2:59 pm

Thank you Baiana. I am also working on getting all of me healthy and this is just the beginning. I was sent to this site by a friend and I am already learning a lot!
KinaGolightly
KinaGolightly

Back to top Go down

Post by KinaGolightly 24th November 2009, 3:02 pm

dajewel wrote:hello,

congratulations on making the decision on going natural!! firstly, there is no 'right' texture of hair to transition. Always remember that good hair is healthy hair that grow out of your scalp. i think keeping these points in mind will help you in your natural journey.

what is your regimen? how often are you shampooing? DT? are you co-washing? answering these questions will help figure out how to transition (if you want to) and/or how to take care of your natural hair.

Thank you dajewel! I just want healthy, beautiful, manageable hair. I am not hair savvy without the help of my stylist. I've never done anything on my own. I get relaxed every 6 weeks, shampooing every 2 weeks and i've only co-washed a couple times. I need all the help I can get.
KinaGolightly
KinaGolightly

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 24th November 2009, 3:52 pm

I decided to go natural back in August for a plethora of reasons, one being my damaged hair. I also made the decision based off of what I wanted and thought about natural hair. I always admired people with curly hair who could wear it curly or straight, and when I discovered I didnt have to chop it all off to go natural I was even more intrigued. I am going to try to transition for at least 6 months-1 year or until the weather gets nice..I have about 3-4 inches of new growth already and it is wonderful. It does get a little frustrating trying to find new styles that work with my two textures, but patience is key and also trial and error. Because what works for someone else and their hair, texture, doesn't mean its going to work for you. I mean the decision is best made if you do it for yourself and no one else. Research helped me tons too. I even have a little binder I refer to when I have questions about certain things.. Curlynikki.com is a miracle also...Well Im here with an open ear. Hope I helped a little bit..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by KinaGolightly 24th November 2009, 3:56 pm

laleepop14 wrote:I decided to go natural back in August for a plethora of reasons, one being my damaged hair. I also made the decision based off of what I wanted and thought about natural hair. I always admired people with curly hair who could wear it curly or straight, and when I discovered I didnt have to chop it all off to go natural I was even more intrigued. I am going to try to transition for at least 6 months-1 year or until the weather gets nice..I have about 3-4 inches of new growth already and it is wonderful. It does get a little frustrating trying to find new styles that work with my two textures, but patience is key and also trial and error. Because what works for someone else and their hair, texture, doesn't mean its going to work for you. I mean the decision is best made if you do it for yourself and no one else. Research helped me tons too. I even have a little binder I refer to when I have questions about certain things.. Curlynikki.com is a miracle also...Well Im here with an open ear. Hope I helped a little bit..

What did you do to start transitioning? And what determines the length of time you need to transition for? Thank you so much for your help!
KinaGolightly
KinaGolightly

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 24th November 2009, 4:12 pm

What did you do to start transitioning?

Well first I decided to stop getting perms/relaxers. What really sucked for me was I had just taken out a micro-braid/sewn in, I had for 3 months and got a perm.. So I actually lost about 3 months of natural hair. Well u live and u learn right? Anyway after that realization, I started to research, research, and research some more.. I have found a ton of websites, photo inspirations, homemade product recipes, styles, youtube videos, etc about natural hair and even transitioning help. After I did A TON of research, I started implementing some of the things I found out. I found out that setting up a routine now is best so that when you are fully natural it is easier to keep up with.. After that it was a ton of experimenting(still in this stage). I have tried so far braid outs, bantu knots(favorite transitioning style so far), half wigs(very easy, thanks to a youtuber), and some buns ponytails. I am still new to this but feel that I have the knowledge to make this experience wonderful. I am the only friend out of my close friends that is doing this and I hope that once I am fully natural they will want to go this way too..

And what determines the length of time you need to transition for? This all depends on you personally. My hair has never grown past about right above my shoulders, so short hair is not an issue for me, I just want some more new growth before I chop it off also. I am from Jersey so our winters are harsh as hell..lol.. and I want to wait until it gets warmer so I can wear a wash and go without having to worry about getting pneumonia...lol... I would love to transition for a year, but the two textures is starting to get to me already...so I dont know if I can make it that long.. I must say I am loving my curls and waves I have all over the place. I have a ton of "types" on my head and will wait to determine what I am(if I ever can, but Ill probably be a mixture)

Sorry this is so long, but I have been researching and love to help when/if I can and am SUPER EXCITED about thsi journey...I will start a thread about all the great websites I found soon...Or just go and google "transitioning to natural hair from permed hair", etc
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 24th November 2009, 4:15 pm

Oh my routine is I co-wash once a week, then deep condition and then style. That is my routine so far...Im fairly new to this(last perm Auguts), so I dont want to do too much, but I have found that co-washing does help alot...I am also tryiong to prevent myself from becoming a PJ(product junkie)..lol..
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by KinaGolightly 24th November 2009, 5:11 pm

laleepop14 wrote:What did you do to start transitioning?

Well first I decided to stop getting perms/relaxers. What really sucked for me was I had just taken out a micro-braid/sewn in, I had for 3 months and got a perm.. So I actually lost about 3 months of natural hair. Well u live and u learn right? Anyway after that realization, I started to research, research, and research some more.. I have found a ton of websites, photo inspirations, homemade product recipes, styles, youtube videos, etc about natural hair and even transitioning help. After I did A TON of research, I started implementing some of the things I found out. I found out that setting up a routine now is best so that when you are fully natural it is easier to keep up with.. After that it was a ton of experimenting(still in this stage). I have tried so far braid outs, bantu knots(favorite transitioning style so far), half wigs(very easy, thanks to a youtuber), and some buns ponytails. I am still new to this but feel that I have the knowledge to make this experience wonderful. I am the only friend out of my close friends that is doing this and I hope that once I am fully natural they will want to go this way too..

And what determines the length of time you need to transition for? This all depends on you personally. My hair has never grown past about right above my shoulders, so short hair is not an issue for me, I just want some more new growth before I chop it off also. I am from Jersey so our winters are harsh as hell..lol.. and I want to wait until it gets warmer so I can wear a wash and go without having to worry about getting pneumonia...lol... I would love to transition for a year, but the two textures is starting to get to me already...so I dont know if I can make it that long.. I must say I am loving my curls and waves I have all over the place. I have a ton of "types" on my head and will wait to determine what I am(if I ever can, but Ill probably be a mixture)

Sorry this is so long, but I have been researching and love to help when/if I can and am SUPER EXCITED about thsi journey...I will start a thread about all the great websites I found soon...Or just go and google "transitioning to natural hair from permed hair", etc

Thank you soooo much! You have really helped me out here!!!!
KinaGolightly
KinaGolightly

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 24th November 2009, 5:21 pm

No problem!!!!
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th November 2009, 12:53 am

KinaGolightly wrote:
dajewel wrote:hello,

Thank you dajewel! I just want healthy, beautiful, manageable hair. I am not hair savvy without the help of my stylist. I've never done anything on my own. I get relaxed every 6 weeks, shampooing every 2 weeks and i've only co-washed a couple times. I need all the help I can get.

I totally understand! i feel that having natural hair will no doubt link itself in wanting to live a more healthy and whole life! it all is connected: diet, exercise, hair, mindset, etc!

i can tell you that i was just like you: i have never done anything on my own in regards to my hair. If i can do it (and i have pre-K skills) then anyone can do it!!

i think the first thing you need to focus on moisture, moisture, moisture, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! this will help you in keeping your hair manageable, healthy and beautiful! for me, i don't use shampoo until my hair tells me, and lately that has been every month or so. in between, to help gently cleanse and infuse moisture, i co-wash. i have to say co-washing has made a world of a difference for me! when i do shampoo, i don't use any products with sulfates. in fact, i am focused on using products that are mostly natural, organic, etc. i would also suggest trying to use protective styling as much as possible: bantu-knots, two strand twists, cornrows, bunning, etc. its whatever your hair likes and fits into your life schedule. my hair and life prefers two strand twists. i have thick hair, two strand twists make it so much easier to manage, moisturize and protect my hair. i love the aforementioned styles because they morph into another style: a curly fro!!!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by dajewel 25th November 2009, 12:55 am

i co-sign with laleepop!
dajewel
dajewel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down