How to wash toddler's hair????

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How to wash toddler's hair????

Post by patmichele on 25th October 2010, 4:18 pm

Hey Ladies, washing my daugther's hair is not hell, but rinsing the shampoo and conditioner out is! It's a fight everytime! the minute a little water hits her forehead she jumps up and wants out of the tub (BTW she's 18months old). Therefore, getting the product out of her hair is a struggle everytime. I have one of those visors that's suppose to keep the water out of her eyes but, it doesn't keep the water out of her ears....geesh! Any tips ladies on how to solve this issue?

patmichele

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How to wash toddler's hair????

Post by cluelesscurl on 25th October 2010, 8:25 pm

Aww!! She's a QT. Check out www.tightlycurly.com click on tightly curly method tips for little ones. HTH

cluelesscurl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 on 26th October 2010, 9:08 am

Have you tried washing her hair over the sink? Lay her on a towel on the counter with her head hanging over the sink. That way you have better control over where the water goes.

LaToya28

View user profile http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele on 26th October 2010, 3:14 pm

Hey La Toya, I never thought about that! That might be a good idea, if i can get her to stay still long enough. You mean with her face towards the ceiling right?

patmichele

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum on 26th October 2010, 7:42 pm

I would have my daughter lie back in the water and tilt her head back and get as much of her hair in the water as she could (with one hand under her neck). Then I would use my other hand or a cup to gently pour water over the front of her head to get what wasn't in the water. It kind of sounds complicated but it's not. Now that she's 3 she has no problems doing this.

At 18 months I had huge troubles with my daughter as well. This was what worked best for us. You could also put a cloth along her hairline so if any water drips towards her ears or eyes, the cloth will catch it.

kekesmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl on 27th October 2010, 9:11 am

@Pat I reread your ? thought the link would have answer Im all over the place. Having her facing the ceiling would work best along with something that would make her comfy. You ladies provided some great tips. Let us know how it turns out.

cluelesscurl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LaToya28 on 27th October 2010, 9:22 am

patmichele wrote:Hey La Toya, I never thought about that! That might be a good idea, if i can get her to stay still long enough. You mean with her face towards the ceiling right?

Yes, she would be lying on her back.

LaToya28

View user profile http://members.fotki.com/latoya28/

Back to top Go down

Post by HaitisBaby on 27th October 2010, 3:08 pm

Hello! I have a 3-yr old, and I simply lie her on her back on the kitchen counter. She is comfortable, and there is never any crying. You should try it.

HaitisBaby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CrissyQ on 27th October 2010, 3:21 pm

I have a 21 month DD and i feel your pain. I ery rarly use shampoo, i co-wash her hair most of the time so if i dont get all of it out it will not harm her hair. While she is in the tub and she is playing i hold her hair andsqueeze the water from the towel on it to get it out. hope thais makes sense.

CrissyQ

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by patmichele on 27th October 2010, 6:48 pm

Thanks ladies, I'll try the sink tonight and let you know what happens.
@ CrissyQ, that's what i usually do and she's so busy trying to see what I'm doing, water gets evrywhere! Laughing

patmichele

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bklynmama1 on 28th October 2010, 10:04 am

I'm hardcore with it! My daughter, 2, hates getting her hair washed but will play in the tub for hours if you let her, often dunking her own face! I wash her hair before filling the tub because I don't want her sitting in the dirty water (she still drinks half of the tub water smh) and I like to do it first because if I do it last when she's been playing a long time and just wants out, it's more of a struggle. I try to have her lie back so I can wet her hair but if she struggles (which she always does unless it's my mom doing it), I just quickly dump the cup of water on her head and wipe her eyes. Happens before she gets a chance to protest. I tell her to stop fussing because it's just water and she loves water right? I wash it, rinse it again with the quick dump, rinse the tub and then fill it for her bath. I have been doing this for 1.5 years and she has been taking swimming consistently for 1.5 years, so I don't know if those things play a factor but she's not all that upset when I just dump the water on her head. I also let her take showers with me so she gets used to water on her head. I've washed it really easy in the shower with the hose attachment. And you can buy a hose attachment for the tub too so that might be an option. We tried the sink but that didn't work for us because she doesn't like to lie back and water was everywhere lol!

bklynmama1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by courtrhapsody on 2nd November 2010, 6:29 pm

Getting her hair washed in the tub upset my daughter too. Now I do the on the counter method. She is 2 and she's learning that if she is still and lets me support her head that her face won't get all wet.

courtrhapsody

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fleur on 9th November 2010, 11:30 am

Patmichele, I have a squirmy toddler so I use these products in the tub and it helps alot:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=442788

And this to protect her eyes....
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=536715&cmSource=CrossSell&relatedProductId=442788

Fleur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant on 10th November 2010, 12:24 am

I dampen her hair with a washcloth and only put a dime size amount of shampoo in her hair once a week. Her hair is not that dirty and does not have product build up. I usually just co-wash and then wet the washcloth and smooth it lightly over her hair until the product is out.

DreamMerchant

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 on 15th November 2010, 3:25 pm

LaToya28 wrote:Have you tried washing her hair over the sink? Lay her on a towel on the counter with her head hanging over the sink. That way you have better control over where the water goes.

I just recently tried this with my daughter and it is great!!!! Sitting there trying to do everything in the tub and quick WAS not working. So what I do is lay her down(if counter space is enough) in the kitchen on some towels with her head leaning over the side... Best idea ever for washing toddler's hair and that way you can talk to her, make some jokes, tell her what you are doing and it keeps the water, suds, etc out of her face...Great idea!!!

laleepop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coilykinks on 19th November 2010, 11:08 am

I use the sink method also. My daughter thought everytime she took a bath I was gonna wash her hair, and she was terrified of the bath tub so I had to switch things up for her so she would be more comfortable.

coilykinks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nnyan on 29th November 2010, 10:15 pm

I was searching the web for some hints on how to wash my daughter's (Sofia) hair and I ran into this site. I have a 2yo that H A T E S getting water in her face and by default in her hair. So far I've been doing the wet towel and running it through her hair but that takes a long time. Great suggestion on the sink! We did try the "hat" type product shown above but it did not work well at all. It would not keep the water from her face.

Her hair is MUCH MUCH MUCH curlier now then that picture. = )

Nnyan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top