CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanna talk about hair and anything else

+5
aduke1989
naturallychelsea
curlya
naturally yours
jazzwife
9 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Wanna talk about hair and anything else - Page 6 Empty Re: Wanna talk about hair and anything else

Post by jazzwife 30th November 2010, 1:10 pm

So, this week will make 4 weeks w/ my braids. Of course I miss my hair, hahahahaha. See - this is what PJism and stalking these forums gets me!!!! I think I may take them out for this weekend. I was hoping to keep them in longer, but oh well. How are you ladies doing? I hope you enjoyed the holidays. @NC, I love the avi!
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Wanna talk about hair and anything else - Page 6 Empty Re: Wanna talk about hair and anything else

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 30th November 2010, 1:15 pm

Great here. Just in my studies, trying to ace these finals I have coming up. Good luck on keeping your braids longer...LOL
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 30th November 2010, 6:02 pm

I'm doing good trying to keep up with school. Have my hair in my first wash and go as I had no time to style it on Sunday because my work was piling up. That's the pic in my avi. Can you keep a secret? I used a Hawaiian silky and texture my way as curl activators and keepers. Neither of those products are close to being all natural.

But some good news I'm trying to start a blog for young curlies. It's hard out there for a curly still in her teens, new to uni or college etc so I would love for the blog to deal with the day to day issues faced by us.

I'm getting alot of good ideas and a banner etc to make the sight look good. I just want it to look really professional and have alot of good info. So pretty soon I'll have to start networking for some posts by fellow curlies.

However I still think there is much to be learned from curly veterans so I would love to have a few older women maybe do posts about self esteem, how to be successful, basically that will help a young curly be ll she can be.

What do you guys think? Any ideas?
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 30th November 2010, 6:12 pm

I think its a great idea!!! Good Luck!
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 30th November 2010, 6:42 pm

NC, that sounds like a wonderful idea :-) I think a lot of young ladies would appreciate a site like that! I'll get back to you on the ideas thing, lol, in my old age I'll have to think about that Laughing

It's great you're both in school!!! My plan was to go back for my Masters and PhD but with these migraines, I struggled through 1 grad course! Now, I don't know if I can stand the thought of writing another paper, lol. We'll see though, the good thing about living in 2010 is that it's never too late! What are you ladies studying? (sorry if I already asked :-( )

I decided to keep the braids in a bit longer. I am going to take out the braids around the edges and try to put them back in myself (hehe, we'll see how that goes).
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 30th November 2010, 7:58 pm

Well jazzy I'm in grade 12 doing sciences and math. Come fall I'd love to attend the university of Toronto and do a program in biology and take both science and business courses with a little psychology and stuff. I want to be broad as I can't decide between doctor, lawyer or businesswoman. By the second year I should know so we'll see.

What bout you kiki?

And gd luck with rebraiding jazz
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 8th December 2010, 8:13 pm

I posted in transitioning since I had a thread there about basics....but yesterday I did my first ever braid out....here are the pics!

side
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

front
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 8th December 2010, 10:19 pm

I saw your results in your other thread and I said it once and I'll say it again I love your results. I envy anyone who is able to get great results such hairstyles whilst transitioning when I could not.

Keep it up hun Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 8th December 2010, 10:43 pm

I love you aww I didn't know you saw the other one, so thank you again!!! You actually gave me some of the courage after replying over and over in this thread .... LOL
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 9th December 2010, 4:33 pm

well I used the pineapple technique last night and was able to achieve 2nd day hair....YAY

But its kinda frizzy so I will dampen tonight and re-braid.
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 9th December 2010, 4:50 pm

Second day hair Shocked...Lucky Chica !!
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 9th December 2010, 5:09 pm

Cool too cool I kno......but it won't make it 3....LOL
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 9th December 2010, 6:28 pm

Well I think I may have to meet my hair down the middle. My hair loves the constant moisture of wash an gos but the looseness is starting to cause tangles and dryness. So twist outs it is. Uggh my current routine was so easy.
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 9th December 2010, 7:46 pm

Hey ladies. @NC, I imagine WnGs would be hard to maintain in this weather. I've been having doubts I want to do the long term transition - the reason is I really want to start working out in a consistent manner (when I can), and it would be SO much easier if I didn't have to worry about these two textures. lol. Hide the scissors ya'll!!!!

@Kiana, your braid out came out really nice and I am glad the pineapple technique worked out well for you. I am not sure how your ends came out, but if you use satin strands in the braids, it helps the ends come out in an even curl pattern with the rest of the braid out instead of more narrow. I learned that from www.zanandrob.com - it really helped! I know the first time I did my braid out, I hated the ends, lol.

I didn't take out my braids as expected and I am trying to take them out now and it's taking FOREVER. I just love all the information I've learned from this process, because I sprayed my conditioner spritz on the back half and dampened and detanged and it was so easy! I can remember the days when I would have ran my comb through my hair dry, snapping and breaking as I went along.

... oh well, back to the rest of my head. lol. I have to look like SOMEBODY before tomorrow :-) I have NO idea how to style it once I DC, I haven't styled it wet yet, I know some people do and let it dry overnight - any thoughts?

HHJ!
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 9th December 2010, 7:55 pm

I remember running the comb through my cornrows when I would let my sister do them.....NO MORE days of that!!! LOL
@Jazz....hide the scissors!!!!! LMBO and I used magnetic rollers on the ends of my braid out, so they were nice and curly and matched nicely. Thanks for the info.

@NC I am going to try a twist out next time.
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 10th December 2010, 12:31 am

Hey ladies, I have a favor - if you don't mind... I wrote an article for a gig I took as a freelance writer. If you get a chance could you take a read and just comment please? Here's the link:

http://www.networthjourney.com/hair-transitioning-money-lessons/

The website is new, and it isn't a hair site, but I wrote about transitioning as more of a 'lifestyle change' thing. Anyways... if you have a couple minutes and could read and comment and/or recommend anyone else to do the same I would sincerely appreciate it! It would just help the owner know that both my writing, and this topic has value!

Thank you in advance.
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 10th December 2010, 10:56 am

I have to get ready for my final but I will read it when I return.
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 10th December 2010, 5:59 pm

I read it and commented. I love it. Very Happy
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 10th December 2010, 10:44 pm

Thank you both so much, I appreciate it!!!

SO today was the WORST detangling session I've had since starting to transition. Last night, the last section of braids really took it out of my so i just took it out and went to sleep (didn't spray, detangle, and twist like the rest) and I think I paid for it.

But I think I made mistake upon mistake - this is what I did:

Shampooed - Used a shampoo I never did before
Protein treatment - Aphogee 2 minute, I figured my hair needed it after a month in braids, but I probably should have just DCed and waited a week. My hair probably just needed the moisture to start. I think it may have made my hair more straw like
Oil Rinse - First time doing this, it didn't soften up the hair, again - probably not the best time to start something new, and probably shouldn't have done it after protein
Conditioner

So - I used my Aussie Moist and ended up with huge knots in that 'bad' side of my head. It was so bad I had to get out of the shower because I got light-headed. Then I went back in for round 2 after a few minutes. I was so mad at myself, but lesson learned: after braids - DC - that's it, everything else can wait a few days to a week. Man, and I said that to myself too!!! Grrrrrrrr!

I lost so much hair, pulled more than I have since starting all this. LOL, I told my husband I was bald when I got out finally. I am not bald, just a little dramatic... Crying or Very sad
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 10th December 2010, 11:14 pm

aww:( sorry. Well hopefully next time will be MUCH better!!
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 11th December 2010, 10:41 pm

I'm really sorry to hear that. But as consolation I know it felt like you pulled out a whole chunk of hair but it was probably only the relaxed ends anyway. Think of it this way, lesson learned you know what not to do next time.

Sad
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 12th December 2010, 1:37 am

Thanks ladies, yes - I survived with the lesson learned for next time. I need a cute style for church tomorrow. I did the braids using the satin strips for the first time so we'll see how that turns out. I didn't have to go anywhere today so they've been in my hair since Friday.
jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallychelsea 12th December 2010, 1:53 am

I hope it comes out as planned and if not... a puff and bun will be your best friend
naturallychelsea
naturallychelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ~*Kiana*~ 12th December 2010, 12:18 pm

show us pics
~*Kiana*~
~*Kiana*~

Back to top Go down

Post by jazzwife 13th December 2010, 12:33 pm

~*Kiana*~ wrote:show us pics

So the braids themselves came out great, the satin strips made them even and pretty, I will be doing that again. My new growth was just indignant though! SO, I ended up doing a puff-bun-thingie. LOL, here are pics. It was the end of the day, after a lot of rain and stuff so my pins had gotten loose by the time I took pics.

jazzwife
jazzwife

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next