Help! Toddler's dry hair

Go down

Help! Toddler's dry hair

Post by Ladybug83 on 7th October 2010, 8:21 pm

My daughter's hair seems dry no matter what I do to it. My current regimen is to shampoo her hair once a week (currently using Just For Me 2 in 1, but I'm planning to change her shampoo soon), put in a leave-in, and then seal with either castor or coconut oil. In the morning I spray her hair with my spritz bottle and seal again. Her hair feels soft, but her scalp looks really dry. Earlier this year some of my daughter's hair fell out due to a medical condition; however, it's been growing back. The area with the new growth also looks really dry. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ladybug83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Help! Toddler's dry hair

Post by curlyjannah on 8th October 2010, 3:37 am

Hey Lady,

have you tried any oils on her scalp yet? MY 1 1/2 yr old still has cradle cap. thick dry patches on his scalp that u can pick out with your fingers, I used extra virgin avocado oil? It's very gently and has no smell and will leave her scalp very soft and non flaky. You can put it on her hair too not just scalp.
here is the link to my blog where I reviewed avocado oil.
http://curlyjannah.blogspot.com/2010/09/glossy-shine-silky-texture-avocado-oil.html

I do suggest before you shampoo her hair, use olive oil on her scalp and gently massage it. Also, I would stop using Just for me shampoo now, before you finish the bottle just because there are way better shampoos out there for almost the same price.
I hope this helps. Smile

curlyjannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 on 8th October 2010, 7:18 pm

Thank you for responding. I have tried oils in the past, but the results are the same. I've tried sealing with coconut oil as well as castor oil, and applying castor oil directly to the scalp. Just this morning I used almond oil, but by the end of the day her hair still looked extremely dry. The hair not directly at the scalp (i.e. the length of her twists) still feels soft, but her scalp and the first 1/2 inch of hair just looks pitiful. I'm almost considering just going back to greasing her scalp. Mad

Maybe a change of shampoos is just what the doctored ordered. Is there one in particular that you would recommend?

Ladybug83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MommaV on 9th October 2010, 2:02 am

I am so sorry that you all are having to deal with this. My little girl had the same issue. Per my mother I used distilled white vinegar. You pour it as close to the scalp as possible allow it to dry for 5-10 min (so that the scalp area is dry),and then co wash. This worked really well for us. We still used our natural oils on her during this time as well. She was 3yo. Good luck honey.

MommaV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ladybug83 on 9th October 2010, 10:34 am

MommaV wrote:I am so sorry that you all are having to deal with this. My little girl had the same issue. Per my mother I used distilled white vinegar. You pour it as close to the scalp as possible allow it to dry for 5-10 min (so that the scalp area is dry),and then co wash. This worked really well for us. We still used our natural oils on her during this time as well. She was 3yo. Good luck honey.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Ladybug83

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MommaV on 10th October 2010, 1:55 pm

NP, Let me know how it works out!

MommaV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ashollan on 5th November 2010, 3:39 pm

Your daughter's ph levels in her hair may not be balanced. Try doing a diluted Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse every other week and it may help her hair retain moisture and also reduce the dry scalp. If you do not feel like doing the ACV rinse just use the Roux Porosity Conditioner every week before you DC. HTH!
ashollan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by morenachula on 8th December 2010, 12:55 pm

My daughter's hair is super dry...although she's not a toddler anymore it's still super dry. How do I do the apple cider vinegar rinse?
morenachula

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles on 11th December 2010, 1:27 am

My son has eczema so I decided to use only organic products with him. I co-wash him and the second time I put the conditioner I leave it in there for the whole bath time because there are no chemicals to over condition the hair and then when he's done I leave in condition, add coconut oil and shea butter.

I know my method might be expensive depending on what you buy or too time consuming but I thought I would add it because you can pick, choose or adapt it and maybe it can work for you. I also agree with the possibility an vinegar rinse can work.
Good Luck!
LilMsPuddles

View user profile http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by MommaV on 20th December 2010, 10:19 pm

morenachula wrote:My daughter's hair is super dry...although she's not a toddler anymore it's still super dry. How do I do the apple cider vinegar rinse?

You want to do about 1 tablespoon of vinegar to 1 cup of water. If you want to make a larger batch then do 1/3 of a cup to a quart of water.

MommaV

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down