CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wanted: 3C Big Sister...Please!!

3 posters

Go down

Wanted:  3C Big Sister...Please!! Empty Wanted: 3C Big Sister...Please!!

Post by Mzmocha2u 29th September 2010, 8:14 pm

First, thank you CurlyNikki for creating this site! I followed it while I transitioned but just joined today. I started my journey last year with my friend and transitioned for 10 months before I finally decided to BC 3 months ago. I have become a product junkie and can't seem to figure out the products that are best for my hair type...they ALL seem to work the same for me...not sure if that's true or just my perception. My hair is super curly like a jeri curl!

MY HAIR
3b/3c - 2 sections in front (each side of middle) are very dry so I just slick down with gel and brush with denman brush...using a LOT of gel on the 2 dry/frizzy areas
Texture - Medium
Porosity - Normal

CURRENT REGIMEN
Shampoo/Conditioner - Silk Elements (Sally's)
Cowash - Silk Elements (Sally's) - Daily
Leave In Conditioner - Cream of Nature Rosemary and Lemongrass
Deep Conditioner - Shea Moisture Deep Conditioning Masque
Moisturizer - Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk
Oil - Karen's Body Beautiful Butter Cream, Shea Moisture Elixir
Styler - Elasta QP or Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Night Time Routine - Oil, Moisturizer

I try to educate myself but there is so much information out there and I'm just looking for a great recommendation for my hair. Also, I have been doing wash no gos and I live in Ohio so its starting to get COLD so I'm looking for other options. Although I can braid hair for twist outs, etc. it doesn't look good to me due to length. I've been diffusing in mornings (I co-wash daily because I workout in mornings) but not sure if that's a good idea to use heat everyday.

Someone please help me continue this journey....while I am loving it...I want to make sure I am doing it correctly for the best results!
Mzmocha2u
Mzmocha2u

Back to top Go down

Wanted:  3C Big Sister...Please!! Empty Re: Wanted: 3C Big Sister...Please!!

Post by ChrsLvsBks 30th September 2010, 12:33 pm

Hi, while I never BC'd. Our hair seems similar as it relates to texture, porosity and liking nearly anything that is put in it. I have not found a product my hair totally hates. If it doesn’t work dry, it works on damp or wet hair and vice versa. Another key to product selection is elasticity. Does your hair’s curls bounce back when stretched wet and/or dry?

Getting the key products is trial and error. I suggest using products at least for three weeks consistently to see what results you get. Create a journal or make a page on the Curl Street Journal to track how you hair feels and looks.

What are your main concerns? I know you mentioned dryness and product selection. Any specific questions on those or other concerns?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzmocha2u 30th September 2010, 9:53 pm

Thank you Chrs for the quick response!

Where do I start??? For elasticity, my hair’s curls bounce back when stretched wet and dry. I have used products for a couple weeks and then switch when I hear about something else...a definite PJ...from Miss Jessie's and KKCC entire line to ecostyler...I have done it all...I guess I have the following questions:

1. Which products are best for my hair type? (Not concerned about cost...just best option for my hair)
2. How do I address issue with drying/frizzy in front? I am currently saturating with oil/moisturizer and brushing down.
3. I am interested in doing a Henna Gloss. I definitely want the color (as I used to get highlights) and I 'think' it would stretch my curls which is what I want (I THINK....just don't know what to do with these curls!!)
4. I have tried a lot of styles that just don't fit my hair texture. I also would like your advice on what styles you suggest for my current length.

Sorry for all the questions! Here are some close ups of my hair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mzmocha2u
Mzmocha2u

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 5th October 2010, 11:29 am

Sorry for the delayed response!

Mzmocha2u wrote:Thank you Chrs for the quick response!

Where do I start??? For elasticity, my hair’s curls bounce back when stretched wet and dry. I have used products for a couple weeks and then switch when I hear about something else...a definite PJ...from Miss Jessie's and KKCC entire line to ecostyler...I have done it all...I guess I have the following questions:

1. Which products are best for my hair type? (Not concerned about cost...just best option for my hair) I highly suggest looking for products with aloe vera, cetyl alcohol, cetearyl alcohol, BTMS (behementium methosulfate) and oils. The first three are great for moisture and detangling. The oil is for conditioning.

2. How do I address issue with drying/frizzy in front? I am currently saturating with oil/moisturizer and brushing down. To address drying, try this. First, remove excess water by squeezing out excess water using a tee shirt, microfiber towel or flour sack (found in kitchen areas—near hand/dish towels of stores like WalMart & Bed Bath & Beyond). Start in small sections and apply a dime size of moisturizer. Apply a little more if your hair still appears frizzy or feels dry. Once it looks moisturized, take a pea size of oil to seal in the moisture.

For extra frizz control, apply gel to combat it and provide hold. My favorite gels are HE’s set me up gel, Eco Styler clear, LA Looks, homemade flaxseed, Elasta QP Feel Like Silk and Hairveda’s Whipped Gelly.

3. I am interested in doing a Henna Gloss. I definitely want the color (as I used to get highlights) and I 'think' it would stretch my curls which is what I want (I THINK....just don't know what to do with these curls!!) Henna does not stretch everyone’s hair.

To stretch your curls temporarily, you can do braid outs or twist outs on damp or dry hair. Use as little product as possible when setting your braids or twist for a fuller look a la Nikki.

4. I have tried a lot of styles that just don't fit my hair texture. I also would like your advice on what styles you suggest for my current length. From the pictures, your hair does not look dense. You can try flat twists and braids in the front and leave your curls out in the back. I’d highly suggest looking at iri1905’s Curl Street Journal. Her hair is similar in texture and length to yours.
Sorry for all the questions! Here are some close ups of my hair
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by MommaV 9th October 2010, 1:35 am

I am 3c as well and just joined curlynikki! I have been natural for just over a year now. My daughter is 10 and has always been natural. She is a 3c as well.

@ChrsLvsBks: That is some really good advice! Have either of you tried the Pantene Curls line? I have used it on both my hair and my baby and I love it!! Also the One and only Argan oil (Sally's) works really well too. When I use it as a hot oil treatment I notice a big reduction in frizz. Here recently a natural friend recommended using Olive Oil pre poo that worked out nicely as well.

@Mzmocha2u
Your hair is sooo pretty it looks like your doing an amazing job caring for it. Your lil baby curly fro is adorable! Thats just how I wore mine (once it started to grow out from me shaving my head) it was nice to wash and go! I also found that when I was at your stage it helped to co wash almost every day (I don't think that this would be practical in the winter months), but the natural Mohawk is also very cute.

Have either of you found anymore good products?? Have you tried the Yes to Carrots?

Last edited by MommaV on 9th October 2010, 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

MommaV

Back to top Go down

Post by Mzmocha2u 11th October 2010, 10:42 am

@ChrsLvsBks: I can't say THANKS enough for all the information. This is exactly what I was looking for! I look forward to talking to you more as I continue my journey! I plan to do a Henna this weekend and I'm excited to see the results!

@MommaV: Thanks! I actually tried a mohawk this weekend. Let's just say between being called Michael Jackson, Troop, and a throwback to the 80's...it didn't make it the whole day!!
Mzmocha2u
Mzmocha2u

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 18th October 2010, 11:50 am

@MommaV, no, I have not tried the Pantene Curls line or the One and Only with Argan at Sally's. I may look into them. I try to stay away from non-water soluble silicones.

I try to pre-poo every time I cleanse. I've used EVOO, EVOO & EVCO mixed and Vatika oil. I like them all.

Product lines I love are Curl Junkie and Hairveda. There are other lines that worked but I did not love them.

@Mzmocha, glad the information helped. How'd the mohawk and henna go?
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down