"Tenderheadedness"

Go down

"Tenderheadedness"

Post by pixee22 on 25th September 2010, 6:33 pm

I have 2 girls, ages 5 and 3yo. They are both EXTREMELY "tenderheaded" with different hair textures and curl types. My oldest's hair is very long, MBL curly, probably 3b/c and it gets very fuzzy. She hates to have her hair brushed and only wants to wear it in a single ponytail braid which puts stress on her hairline. She had box braids over the summer which made for a very happy home, but I want to get to a point for both of us where doing her hair is not a big ordeal.

My youngest has hair that is 4b and when stretched straight, reaches her shoulders. Curly, her hair is a great, dense afro! Detangling with her is like Armageddon!

Any tips or suggestions to help alleviate the pain and sensitivity while maintaining healthy hair and scalp? Thanks!

pixee22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: "Tenderheadedness"

Post by Lynnieluve on 30th September 2010, 12:27 am

Make sure when you are detangling their hair, it is wet and loaded with conditioner. Also detangling in sections will help out. When I detangle my hair, I put it in 4 sections (2 in the front, and two in the back) In those sections, I take a small section of hair, detangle from tip to root, then I twist it up. I do this all over until I finish my entire head. Then I rinse the conditioner out with the twist still in.

Doing it this way makes styling easier.

I hope this helps.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Madeaj on 30th September 2010, 2:50 am

I'd like to add one thing to Lynnieluve's excellent instructions. Start the detangling from the ends of the hair and slowly work your way up. Hold the hank of hair securely in your hand and use a wide toothed comb or brush to detangle against your hand. That way there is less pulling on the scalp.

Also, give them something fun to do while you are detangling their hair, maybe play a board game or something. It'll take their mind off screaming. affraid dance
Madeaj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CurliciousDiva on 7th October 2010, 2:38 pm

My daughter is tenderheaded also. So in addition to the tips above I recommend Moist Curls Organic Moisturizer/Detangler. It provides great slip. run
CurliciousDiva

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kekesmum on 7th October 2010, 3:24 pm

Combing used to be a huge fight in my home with so many tears. The poor thing, now that I think about it. Back then I would just use a detangler and think that was enough.

What works for my 3.5 year old daughter now (4a with a bit of b) is what Lynnieluve mentioned. Every co-wash I comb the conditioner through then braid into a few sections. I let it sit then I rinse the conditioner out with the braids still in. When I've done this I'm able to comb through root to tip no problems (the look on my husbands face the first time I did that was priceless.)

I'll second what CurliciousDiva said the Moist Curls Detangler is amazing. In the mornings I'll use a spray bottle of water to dampen her hair and then use this detangler, combing from tip to root.

My daughter's hair has responded so well to a regimen. Once I figured out what worked best, I was able to determine a pretty strict regimen of co-washing, deep conditioning and moisturizing. If I deviate it from it for only a few days then we start having problems and sensitivities again. I'm not sure if that even makes sense from a scientific point of view but that's how her hair stays manageable.

Now there are no more tears and my daughter doesn't mind sitting for hours to have her hair done (as long as she gets to watch The Big Bang Theory.)

kekesmum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsOnCampus! on 12th October 2010, 10:45 pm

These ladies have pretty much hit the nail right on.. but I do many tenderheaded children. Holding the hair tight at the root as you comb is a plus. Also not tangling the hair more when you wash it. Focus on the scalp and not placing all the hair on top of their heads when you wash.

Matrix makes a great detangler and their conditioning balm works wonders as well.
CurlsOnCampus!

View user profile http://www.curlsoncampus.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jaquot on 26th December 2010, 2:54 pm

I wish I had seen this before i posted my own sentivity question. You ladies have a lost of insightful information. Could someone please tell me what co-washing is (washing with conditioner) and how often you do it. How do you handle drying the hair without having to comb through it or towel dry?

jaquot

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum