CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Miss Willow Smith's New Single

+13
Karyn
DvaAuNaturel
BajanPrincess82
DreamMerchant
Niqui36
CocaColaCutie
iculukin
natural83
PaganWifey
PanaR3dd
tiashaunteƩ
Pi*Jay
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Little Miss Willow Smith's New Single - Page 2 Empty Re: Little Miss Willow Smith's New Single

Post by goombagirl 13th September 2010, 5:09 pm

@ PaganWifey - I too agree that Rih-Rih must be trying to abandon her core audience. Album #1 had an island feel and hubby loved it. Albums #2 had a rock feel too it. We stuck with her. Album #3 was just suicidal and dark - we said oooookay. Now, IDK what to think.
@* - ITA that they are in a different world so to speak and so different rules apply, however, I don't see the harm in allowing my child to express him/herself. My 10 year old son has his ear pierced and some people gave me flack for it. These are also the same people whose children get suspended for spitting on the teacher. A hairstyle doesn't determine whose child(ren) will be wild n out and rebellious - parenting (or lack thereof) does.

Having said all that I LOVE Willow's song and will be stanning for her. Rihanna better watch out this girl is about to steal her shine. I wonder how this will play out since they're both signed to the same label?
goombagirl
goombagirl

Back to top Go down

Little Miss Willow Smith's New Single - Page 2 Empty Re: Little Miss Willow Smith's New Single

Post by Pi*Jay 14th September 2010, 12:30 am

Yeah, Williow has a crazy mature voice for 9 years of age. If she doesnt follow the dark crazy (rihanna, beyonce, lady gaga) phase thats going on, and beats to the tune of her own drum, I think she will go far... Like her parents. I think she has good well- grounded parents who seem to have developed immunity to the effects of hollywood.

...that being said... when i first saw her hair, it did give me pause, but now i think, whats the harm? I think the reason behind it is important too. If my child (dont currently have any) asked me for a wild hair cut or hair do, I would ask why? If they gave me an acceptable answer, I'd allow it. That way I would know their depth of understanding of the situation, and level of maturity. Willow seems like she is mature enough to understand the consequences (good or bad) of her decision.

Acceptable answers- I wanna be different. I'm tired of looking like everyone else. Unacceptable answers- I wanna look like Nikki Minaj or Rihanna. Everyone else in my class is doing it.
Pi*Jay
Pi*Jay

Back to top Go down

Post by kinksncurls 14th September 2010, 1:58 am

BajanPrincess82 wrote:I just think its a little too much for a 9 year old. What happens when the child becomes a teenager? Will she then be allowed to walk around dressed like Nikki Minage or Rihanna just because she wants to? I feel that as a parent you should think about what message you are sending your children when you let them dress exactly how they want to. I agree with giving them some freedom of choice, but you have to set boundaries. And I do realize that Willow is a celebrity kid and not just the average 9 year old child, so I do understand why they allow her to look that way.

I'm have to agree. I wouldn't let my nine year old shave her head either. I am all for freedom of expression etc. but she is nine years old and in my opinion that is too young. I think that children need room to grow, but I also think that as adults it is up to us to set the standards in the home, and I just don't like it. If willow were a teenager on the verge of becoming a young woman then it would be different for me, and I would consider it, but nine definitely not, so you are not alone in your opinions. Maybe I'm old fashioned too lol.
I firmly believe to each his own in terms of parenting etc....but to answer the original question you posed as to whether I would allow my nine year old to shave half her (or his I'd feel the same way) head the answer is no. And I don't think that if you set ground rules as parents that when your children grow up they'd just do whatever they wanted and rebel. Of course there are extreme cases where this happens, but not setting boundaries and having standards for your children is way worse (in my opinion of course Smile)
kinksncurls
kinksncurls

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclingchick 14th September 2010, 10:15 am

I love this song...and not ashamed to have it in heavy rotation. Yeah, I'm aware that she's 9 and I'm almost 33. LOL

As for the hairstyle, I understand the thoughts that a 9 year old should look a little more conservative/age appropriate, but this is not your typical family. My mom probably would have let me do this hairstyle, but I was little miss priss and that would have never happened. We were always encouraged to express ourselves...but the wildest thing I did back then was cut the tips out of my gloves Madonna-style. Laughing
cyclingchick
cyclingchick

Back to top Go down

Post by Mangos&Bananas 15th September 2010, 11:12 pm

I think the single is adddorable. "i whip my hair back & forth!!" lol.love it!! Smile

I think she'll surpass rihanna(sp? i never did kno how to spell her name.2 tierd to look it up!) but i dont think she will at this early age. I mean think about it, shes nine years old...there arent many topics that she can sing about.I do see her making catchy cutsey hits, but untill she is in her teens and can actually sing about love, life, and other relatable topics...i dont think her and rihanna are in same category.But yea, she'll surpass her one day.

and i disagree with the hair. Its cute and everything but its just wayyyy inappropriate for a nine year old child.Id futher explain but I think bajan hit all my key points.lol, so i digress.

but maybe im old school...
Mangos&Bananas
Mangos&Bananas

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 16th September 2010, 1:27 am

I think we all have a bit of old fashion in us. I would have loved to have a cool hair style like that but my mom would not hear of "cutting off all that pretty hair". Hair was/is a status symbol in my southern family. The longer the hair, the better you were treated. Not my rules! I do not allow people to comment on my daughter's hair in front of her. I do not believe in piercing my daughter's ears (she can make that choice when she is old enough to take care of them). I do not believe in having televisions, computers and telephones in the rooms of children. Oh the list goes on!
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2