CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

senegalese twist

+3
Ekaette
krissyc39
agore07
7 posters

Go down

senegalese twist Empty senegalese twist

Post by agore07 5th September 2010, 11:05 pm

Hey I was wondering if anyone has had senegalese twist before, I was wondering about how long did they last for you, I'm looking for a good protective style. Thanks lovely's !
agore07
agore07

Back to top Go down

senegalese twist Empty Re: senegalese twist

Post by krissyc39 6th September 2010, 8:10 pm

I had a horrible experience! (Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear, please read on) The lady did my twists way too small, used a lot of spritz, and insisted that she couldn't cut it after she had given me a "Rapunzel weave" so I had 4 full, packs of hair on my head. I didn't know how to care for it so I never moisturized it because someone told me water makes your hair frizzy. When I took them out after 3 weeks, I started crying because I lost half of my hair in volume and had more split ends than before. I felt a difference but everyone else kept saying that my hair looked the same/ was always thin which was NOT THE CASE!

So I guess my story is like the braiding disaster you want to avoid; I was very misinformed and there were many, many factors that contributed to my hair disaster. Don't let this deter you though, if you want the twists, get them but be sure to do your homework first.

Good luck!
krissyc39
krissyc39

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 8th September 2010, 10:51 pm

They worked pretty well for me in my transition. I'm actually putting a set in myself this weekend. They lasted 6-12 weeks for me like any other braids
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Just to add for your scalp's sake you may want to blowdry your hair before getting it braided so they braiders don't have a hard time separating
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by tynee_bella 10th September 2010, 3:09 pm

Hi,

I was thinking about getting these twists as well. Ekaette, can you wash you hair while in the twists? If so, how do you prevent friziness/puffiness?

tynee_bella

Back to top Go down

Post by Ekaette 11th September 2010, 2:33 pm

tynee_bella wrote:Hi,

I was thinking about getting these twists as well. Ekaette, can you wash you hair while in the twists? If so, how do you prevent friziness/puffiness?

When washing hair I focus all my massaging on the scalp. For the braids themselves I pour diluted shampoo over them then instead of scrubbing I made sure the braids were saturated with soapy water then grabbed a handful (like you'd be grabbing a handful of straws) and squeeze a few times so the soap gets into the braid then I let the water from the shower rinse everything off I wouldn't use my hand. Be careful with this part bc the braids can get a little heavy so don't pull or tug anything too much. When I'm done washing I get a towel, bend down from the waist so the braids are hanging down, wrap the towel around the braids (picture a twinkie where the cream is your hair and the baked part is the towel) then plop the whole thing on your head so you can walk around and get dressed and such. This way you don't manipulate the twists and they dry pretty fast this way. If you really need to dry in a hurry use the towel and squeeze the same way you squeezed to get the soapy water in your hair. The whole point is to avoid rubbing or anything to disturb the twists. This helps them look fresh for ever
Ekaette
Ekaette

http://public.fotki.com/ekaette/

Back to top Go down

Post by rayray19 11th September 2010, 2:45 pm

I had senegalese twist before i did my BC..I only kept them in for 1 month beacuse I was sooo excited to do my big chop!!..while they were in i made sure to keep them moisturized, and continued to wash my hair once a week with diluted shampoo..I also deep conditioned my hair in the braids..They last for a very long time if you get them put in right

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rayray19
rayray19

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 14th September 2010, 1:05 pm

Yes I did some myself and kept them in for about 2 months or so...I would wash them but only focus on my scalp and I moisturized them daily...well the par tmy hair was in...
laleepop14
laleepop14

Back to top Go down

Post by drksista81 17th September 2010, 7:44 pm

I have tried them and they looked great but when I took them out I lost a lot of hair around my nape. I made sure I moisturized my hair and everything, and finally after going over everything the stylist did to my hair. I found the answer. I wore my hair in its natural curly state, I didn't blow dry it before hand. The stylist told me she was twisting my hair before adding the weave so that my twist would not have any frizzy hair sticking out. Well the twisting of my natural hair then the weave put a lot tension on my scalp causing weakness and breakage. I have very fine hair, so my advice is see the stylist technique before getting them done especially if you have fine hair.
drksista81
drksista81

https://www.youtube.com/drksista81

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down