Weightloss #epicfailure

Go down

Weightloss #epicfailure

Post by Synamon89 on 5th September 2010, 12:36 am

I'm 21 and 5'6'' and was 165 pre pregnancy Very Happy . After I had my son in 2007 I was about 200. Somehow, between january and now I have gotten to around 240ish Sad . Sooo I got a gym membership about a month ago, and I go about 4-6 times a week. Sometimes I do the treadmill & elliptical and sometimes I take classes. I use the toning equipment most days. I tried some acai berry 14 day cleansing pills but after two days it got ugly so I stopped. I have been eating much better than I used to. Instead of dieting I just replaced things I like to eat with healthier versions. And here I am a month later and bam- nothing No . I haven't lost 5lbs. Or even 1. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I don't know what I could do to get this thing rolling. I'm just frustrated and needed to vent.

Synamon89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Weightloss #epicfailure

Post by Gado-Gado Gal on 7th September 2010, 12:44 am

Synamon89,

First, you are not a failure, girl! I haven't dealt with pregnancy weight gain yet, but from my many friends who have I know that as a mother you've experienced a huge change in your body, so please be kind to yourself. Your body and your life went through a major change, so give yourself credit for that and realize that you're not alone or failing.

Second, why don't you try posting in the CurlFriends, KinkySheaPT thread? She is a licensed personal trainer, and gives great advice on both eating and exercise.

Third, my best exercise is the stuff that isn't done in a gym or with equipment or DVDs. I say it's my best because I love to be active, but I don't love to exercise. My mom always taught me to keep my body moving, which often meant not taking the "easy way" out for doing things. Many cultures have physically fit people who don't exercise - they are just very active and don't take short-cuts. Examples are:
- walking places (especially if it only takes 15 minutes to walk there) instead of driving; if you go to the store, carry items in a backpack for even weight distribution
- taking the stairs (especially 3 floors or less) instead of the elevator or escalator
- carrying or picking up things (as long as it doesn't strain your back) instead of having someone else do it for you
- doing more things by hand: chopping with a knife instead of using a Cuisinart, washing dishes by hand, sweeping instead of vacuuming
- socializing with activity (taking walks is the best! dancing is great, too) rather than with sitting or sedentary activities (like watching TV, movies, or sitting and eating), or incorporating walking into socializing
All of these things make me feel much better about myself, because I know I don't take the easy way out, and doing things myself is gratifying. It's better for me, and makes me value food, my home, the outdoors, and my body's capabilities more.

Fourth, The Live Strong website has a great free tool called MyPlate. You state your existing weight, target activity, and goal (which can be gain, loss or maintenance of weight), then it tells you what your daily calorie goal should be to achieve your goal. It then helps you calculate and track your approximate caloric intake and calories burned each day to see if you're on target. The caloric intake calculator has an amazing number of foods already in there. And the calories burned calculator factors in all you non-exercise activity (the stuff I mentioned above like taking stairs, etc.). You need to set up an ID and password to use it.
http://www.livestrong.com/myplate/
There is something similar (also free) on the Shape Magazine website called Virtual Trainer, but I've never used it.

I hope some of this helps, lady. Good for you for reaching out for help! You'll get there!
Gado-Gado Gal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Synamon89 on 7th September 2010, 12:44 pm

Thanks so much Gado-Gado Gal, I will definitely take the advice about using the stairs because my school doesn't have many but I always take the elevator, lol. What I'm realizing is that all of this is truly a LIFESTYLE change. Trial and error, I guess. I just made a profile on sparkpeople yesterdaym and I am definitely going to try the other sites you suggested. Sometimes I get off the bus about a 10min walking distance before home so that I can walk but it's about to get cold and I'm not about to be out there walking with a runny nose lol! But thank you so much for your words of encouragement Very Happy

Synamon89

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Treece on 9th September 2010, 7:24 pm

I think Gado has given some good advice, and consulting professionals are a very helpful tool. A professional was the only time I actually saw progress with myself. But I will still share with you some things that have helped me, and maybe they will help you.

I too haven't dealt with pregnancy weight, but I am struggling with weight in general. I am a stubborn person, who doesn't believe in diet pills or much else that's shown on tv, and while i have gotten a few great tips from online and from a weight program, I have to do what works for me. Since I still don't have a sport partner, I force myself to a gym. I do cardio for an hour, and either walk home, or get on the treadmill for a half-hour or less. I have yet to see results since I just started, but I'm determined.

The first time I kick started my weight loss, since I was highly sedentary, I lost weight fast, with just 30 min cardio 3x/week. But since then I have had to "step up my game", change my diet, and my outlook. It has taken me years to want to change my diet of pop and candy.

I am a college student and so my tuition pays for the gym. I also recently got a car which allows me access to better foods while I'm at school. I've increased fiber and my water content. For my sweet tooth (with drinks), i have chocolate milk, or 100% juice. But on average I will consume 2 litres of water a day. I purchase bottled water for the convenience with my meal plan, so I get those huge 1 Liter Aquafina bottles, and can measure if I'm getting enough water. Combined with water and fiber I'm not as hungry as I used to be. I snack a lot throughout the day, and yogurt or a fiber one bar is a good alternative to Twix. My diet is far from perfect since I only get HOME cooked meals on the weekends, but again (unless I didn't already say it), don't try to do what the media says you should do, such as drinking 8 glasses of water a day. Do what works for your body, and take it easy. YOU know your body better than anyone else. Adjust your meals so that they satisfy you, if 6 small meals a day doesn't work for you, then don't force yourself to do it, but try your best to get some type of digestion working, maybe bringing "portable" snacks if it makes it easier. Improvise. What a Face

A good tip that have been passed out though. is: Park as far as possible from the mall or store. (I do this mostly because I don't trust other drivers lol)

I also carry water with me to class or when I go out. This helps me get water in when I may not have the chance to slip out and purchase water.

If you feel thirsty, you're already 5% dehydrated and water is essential for digestion, and all the other functions in your body (if one organ isn't working to capacity, something else has to pick up the slack in some cases causing unnecessary overworking...ever had to do an employee's job because they forgot to?). Also thirst is sometimes mistaken as hunger. You may also know that water is essential to dieting so I'll just end this here.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged, I know it hurts to not have your hard work pay off, but it will eventually. And I hope I helped rather than just spewed info you knew already. Smile
Treece

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JohnDSmith88 on 27th January 2011, 7:47 am

Losing weight through yoga and exercise are very healthy way to lose weight.Having salad or a cup of soup to start at home can be a habit that pays its pound-lost.increase levels of activity.

JohnDSmith88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down