Dear Curly Parents... Love, a confused sister

Go down

Dear Curly Parents... Love, a confused sister

Post by krissyc39 on 19th August 2010, 11:38 pm

Ok so I believe I have 4a/3c hair and for most of my life it's been pretty manageable. There was a whole period of awkwardness when my hair got really really thick and I couldn't manage it but after spending a lot of time researching about my hair and what it needs (and on CN Smile) I finally have my hair figured out.

So why doesn't anything I learned work on my sisters hair?!?!

My sister Krystal is 5 and has relatively thin 4b hair. I've been oiling her scalp with castor oil and I see a lot of new hairs growing in which is great but I can never get her hair to be moisturized enough. Products that keep my hair moisturized for days laugh in the face of her beautiful but extra dry hair. I deep condition every time I wash her hair, keep her hair in cornrows, and I tried Kimmaytubes mixture with some improvement but nothing dramatic. My mom (also 4a) is even more frustrated than I am and I really don't want her to do anything drastic to her hair (like a perm!) when I'm away in college.

Please help!

Any parents who have daughters with 4b hair and beyond please dish on your tips and tricks to keep hair moisturized and stop breakage. We NEED them!
krissyc39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dear Curly Parents... Love, a confused sister

Post by Curlz of Luv on 21st August 2010, 12:31 am

I have 2 daughters, they have 4a/b hair. They are 5 and 7. The youngest hair is pass her arm pits when stretched and the oldest is pass her shoulders when stretched. Currently I am using Shea Moisture products from Target. Their hair is very thick. I have found I get the best results when I do the following:

Detangle with diluted Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut Conditioner and water mix in a spray bottle. I put their hair in 4 to 6 sections. I then add some EVOO. I put a plastic bag on their hair and lt them play for about an hour. I then wet hair and wash with SM shampoo (if their hair is really dirty I will use a peppermint shampoo I have first I can't think of who makes it right now). I then rinse thoroughly and apply the SM reconstructive conditioner or deep treatment masque with a plastic bag for anywhere from 15 mins to an hour depending on time.

For styling I also use the shea moisture products, I love the conditioning curl & style milk, the curl smoothie and the hold & shine moisture mist. I layer the products because it keeps their hair soft and manageable. Also with 3 naturals in the house I don't have time to do each of out hair daily. I do alot of box braids and cornrows. I do apply the milk and the mist 2/3 times a week also. I rarely apply any heat. Last week they got their hair blow dried and flat ironed for back to school which was the first time in about 9 months and their beautician was amazed at how much softer their hair was then the last time she did it and also the growth.

I also noticed since I stopped using shampoo with sulfates that they no longer complain that their scalp itches.

I started getting my best results with their hair when I started to make sure their hair was detangled well and also the pre-poo with olive oil.

You can find good info and styles at these sites:
check out the sistahchick on you tube and her website is http://ournaturalkids.ning.com/

These are good also:
http://beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com/
http://www.happygirlhair.com/

HTH...Good luck
Curlz of Luv

View user profile http://curlsofluv.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 on 24th August 2010, 5:09 pm

Thank you so much! I never even thought of bagging lol

Around what prices are the shea moisture products? I'm the product junkie of the family so if its too expensive for my moms taste I'll probably end up buying it
krissyc39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by JazmineB on 29th August 2010, 6:29 am

Krissy, the Shea Moisture products are $10 each and are sold at select target stores and online.

Katie from Happy Girl Hair uses Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle rose on her daughter's tightly coiled hair and I'm always impressed with how moisturized and healthy it looks. always seal in the moisture with shea butter. . .its amazing
JazmineB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant on 30th August 2010, 10:54 pm

I have no advice but I just wanted to say that you are a sweet big sister!
DreamMerchant

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyjannah on 5th September 2010, 3:20 am

you are such a sweet sister!

have you tried vatika coconut/henna/lemon? The one in the light green bottle with the dark green round top. you can find it on amazon. I would suggest oiling her scalp and hair every 2 days. Let it sit for a few hours then wash it. Or even over night.

It has really helped my 4 year old daughter's hair Jannah, www.CurlyJannah.Blogspot.com
It will make it shiny and over time, stronger. Try it.

curlyjannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by krissyc39 on 5th September 2010, 3:09 pm

Thanks everyone Smile

@ JazmineB My friend has some of the shea moisture products and I think I might buy some for me LOL

@ curlyjannah do you think you could get it at an Indian store? I only buy things online if it's the only option...
krissyc39

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by curlyjannah on 5th September 2010, 3:55 pm

yes kriss, the indian store has it, they may be out of it though, so ask when they should get it again in case they are out. If u can, search the picture of it on your phone on google, so u can show them the exact one, because they have some that look similar but u need the vatika one in the light green bottle and dark green screw top. Smile

curlyjannah

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down