Would you eat your hair?

Go down

Would you eat your hair?

Post by Rissarai on 16th August 2010, 11:05 pm

I can remember when I first became a member of the natural hair community, I was up late into the night reading and absorbing all the information available. I learned to stay away from: cones, petroleum, and mineral oil because of the affect they have on the hair. I would go to the store and carefully read the labels making sure I only put the best ingredients in my tresses. I am sure many of you did and do the same, but what about the rest of our bodies?
I realized that I was taking better care of my hair than I was my body. I wasn't checking labels at the grocery store, or asking the McDonald's cashier for a copy of their nutritional information. I was paying much more attention to my outside than my inside.
I saw my mother die of cancer, and that motivates me everyday to try to open up dialog in our community about taking better care of ourselves. I am a teacher by occupation, not a nutritionist, but I do my research so that I can take better care of my family, and enlighten the youth I teach. The media does a good job of pushing our attention toward one issue, while diverting it from another. Now even Fruit Loops are whole grain and have added fiber. Why? That is like adding granola to a hot fudge sundae, it is still unhealthy!!
I think many of us can admit our hair is the healthiest thing about us, but we can't nourish our bodies with it, so we have to wake up and take better care of us, by sharing and learning from one another.

What matters most, our outsides or our insides? Or is there a happy medium?

~Riss

Element Tree: Natural Living Rooted in Simplicity

Rissarai

View user profile http://www.elementtree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Would you eat your hair?

Post by naturalchic on 17th August 2010, 10:18 am

Thanks for sharing, I feel the same way. We spend all this time worrying about the outside but what about our insides. I have friends who say cause i shop at whole food that I am balling?? what, no I care about what I serve my family especially my kids. My step son came to stay with us and even he was like what am i eating, I said if i told you, you probably would not eat it. My kids eat vegetables, including salads daily. They come to expect it along with their protein. My kids eat what I eat no chicken nuggets here. Very Happy
naturalchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rissarai on 20th August 2010, 4:32 am

There is a blog called Poor Girl Eats Well, and she calls Whole Foods, Whole Paycheck. LOL! It can get expensive, but what price can you put on your health. I feel like it is healthy food now or really expensive pharmaceutical drugs later. BTW on the Poor Girl Eats Well blog she does these shopping carts where she tries to spend $25 on a week's worth of food. She has one from Whole Paycheck, and shows that you can show for health food and not break the bank.
~Riss
Element Tree: Natual Living Rooted in Simplicity

Rissarai

View user profile http://www.elementtree.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by naturalchic on 20th August 2010, 2:56 pm

you know i have found that shopping at whole food is really not that much more than filling up on cheap junk food. My family is full for longer so there is less munching....dont get me wrong i do let my kids enjoy junk food but it is definitely not often and they have come to enjoy the way we eat. We go out and people are like you kids eat that, yeap they sure do, then i get the 100 reasons why their kids dont. I always tell them they will eat what you allow them to eat and if you dont eat healthy you can not expect them to.

@rissarai, I will check out poor girl eats well, thanks for sharing
naturalchic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant on 12th September 2010, 11:24 pm

[quote="naturalchic"]you know i have found that shopping at whole food is really not that much more than filling up on cheap junk food. My family is full for longer so there is less munching....dont get me wrong i do let my kids enjoy junk food but it is definitely not often and they have come to enjoy the way we eat. We go out and people are like you kids eat that, yeap they sure do, then i get the 100 reasons why their kids dont. I always tell them they will eat what you allow them to eat and if you dont eat healthy you can not expect them to.

I totally agree. In my house, you eat it or starve. After my 2 year old went to bed hungry 2 nights in a row, she now eats what is in front her. We was at a restaurant one night and she screamed at the top of her lungs that she wanted more broccoli and salad. She will eat it or she will be hungry. Same thing with the husband. After 1 week of ham sandwiches for dinner, he eats what is cooked! lol

Back to topic, I always things of what I am eating, lotions, deodorant, toothpaste and cleaning products.
DreamMerchant

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by juliaanthen on 3rd November 2010, 1:55 am

Great and superb information you shared here. I am also feel same way. We all are so many aware about out side of hair, but never think about inner side, really you shared such a good and best information about hair.

juliaanthen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by abelart on 12th March 2011, 11:55 am

It is eating food for the strong and fit hair mentioned below.
(1) Salmon
(2) Dark Green Vegetables
(3) Beans

abelart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cluelesscurl on 12th March 2011, 1:53 pm

I agree 100%

cluelesscurl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sherryabhy on 21st March 2011, 1:37 am

I am also 100% agree about it. It is very best and good information. Now I get the full idea about the advantages of eating hair.

sherryabhy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down