CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I hennaed before should i again?

3 posters

Go down

I hennaed before should i again? Empty I hennaed before should i again?

Post by CiaE 14th August 2010, 1:45 am

I hennaed three days before i dyed my hair brown....i want sure if that was safe but i did it anyway... doesn't seem to be harming my hair...BUT i don't really like the color anymore and i didn't want to chemically harm my hair again so i would like to henna my hair again.... is it ok?? I definitely had a dye 2 weeks ago.... what do you guys think?
CiaE
CiaE

http://napskinkslove.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

I hennaed before should i again? Empty Re: I hennaed before should i again?

Post by Estiscurls 14th August 2010, 10:01 am

It's definitely okay.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 14th August 2010, 12:55 pm

Hmm i was reading an article and this is what it said "When shouldn’t you use henna?

Because of the differences between henna and chemical treatments (like perming, dyeing, straightening and bleaching) I would strongly advise NOT to use henna on chemically treated hair. The result can easily turn out more terrible then you ever imagined: I suppose you don’t want blackish green hair?!!! If you are really anxious to henna your hair but don’t know if it’s safe yet: plunder your hairbrush and henna half of it. Comparing both halfs should tell you enough! The same is by the way the case if you want to perm (etc) hennaed hair: don’t even think about it!"

Im scared because it is chemically treated and its redish brown... i dont want it to turn green =( I just want it back to black... im so scared lol
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 14th August 2010, 5:58 pm

I'm not sure about the article but most authorities say that it's fine to henna over previously chemically treated hair. Many of us here have done this ourselves.

Maybe do a strand test first on some shed hairs to help with your concerns?
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 14th August 2010, 7:03 pm

hmm okie dokie... i will do this! =) also would u recommend the use of indigo to produce a black color?
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 14th August 2010, 9:40 pm

I speak from first-hand experience. I've been using chemical dye since 2000 when my white started becoming really noticible(sp?). I stopped relaxing my hair too at that time because if I had to use chemicals I would only use one and that would be color - I could get my hair straight with enough oil and heat. Ten years later to June 24, 2010 - I applied my first henna because I am sick and tired of use chemical dye and I want to be able to color my white hairs the minute I see them and I cannot do that with chemical dye.

My hair is BSL and has been dyed (touched up) every 4 to 6 weeks for the last 10 years. Not only that, in 2007, three years ago, I had my hair henna'd when I had about an inch and a half of white. I told the stylist that I wanted highlights and thought henna would nicely turn my white into highlights. However, I was not prepared for the bright orange where my white was concentrated and the hair stylist wasn't hip to indigo so she didn't know what to say or how to darken it.

Sooooo, the same day, she gave me a chemical dye to get my hair one color then stripped sections of my hair for highlights. This is how I looked when I left the hair salon:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] YIKES!!

Anyhoo, like I said my hair is now BSL and half of my hair is the above and all of it has been dyed regularly so when I henna'd it was over ten-year (really five years because I BC'd in 2005) dyed hair and it came out great!!! THEN, because I knew I wasn't going to like the orange, I henna'd AGAIN the next day - this time with a mix of 50% henna and 50% indigo - [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Results were unsatisfactory because my hair from 2007 was one color, my chemically-dyed hair was another color and my roots were orange. The indigo only darkened the orange but not enough for me.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So, back to the kitchen and this time I decide I'm going to do the henna-then-indigo routine to get my hair all one color and dark. I wait a week and applied my third henna treatment - henna only, then right after I rinsed the henna out, I applied indigo - my forth treatment. The results were impressive. All of my white was throughly covered and my hair was one color - black with a slightly burgandy tinge in certain light. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've decided that I'm going to let my hair slowly turn colors. This is going to be my routine for the next year: Every two weeks, when my white becomes noticeable(sp?) I will apply a mixture of 80% - 90% indigo and 10% henna only to the new growth. I will apply the mix to all my new growth, not just the white, kinda like a touchup relaxer is applied.

I henna'd for the fifth time on August 7th and this time I henna'd only first. Then I applied the 90/10 indigo mix and applied it all over and I like the way it turned my white into reddish/gold.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by CiaE 14th August 2010, 10:03 pm

Estiscurls wrote:I speak from first-hand experience. I've been using chemical dye since 2000 when my white started becoming really noticible(sp?). I stopped relaxing my hair too at that time because if I had to use chemicals I would only use one and that would be color - I could get my hair straight with enough oil and heat. Ten years later to June 24, 2010 - I applied my first henna because I am sick and tired of use chemical dye and I want to be able to color my white hairs the minute I see them and I cannot do that with chemical dye.

My hair is BSL and has been dyed (touched up) every 4 to 6 weeks for the last 10 years. Not only that, in 2007, three years ago, I had my hair henna'd when I had about an inch and a half of white. I told the stylist that I wanted highlights and thought henna would nicely turn my white into highlights. However, I was not prepared for the bright orange where my white was concentrated and the hair stylist wasn't hip to indigo so she didn't know what to say or how to darken it.

Sooooo, the same day, she gave me a chemical dye to get my hair one color then stripped sections of my hair for highlights. This is how I looked when I left the hair salon:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] YIKES!!

Anyhoo, like I said my hair is now BSL and half of my hair is the above and all of it has been dyed regularly so when I henna'd it was over ten-year (really five years because I BC'd in 2005) dyed hair and it came out great!!! THEN, because I knew I wasn't going to like the orange, I henna'd AGAIN the next day - this time with a mix of 50% henna and 50% indigo - [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Results were unsatisfactory because my hair from 2007 was one color, my chemically-dyed hair was another color and my roots were orange. The indigo only darkened the orange but not enough for me.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

So, back to the kitchen and this time I decide I'm going to do the henna-then-indigo routine to get my hair all one color and dark. I wait a week and applied my third henna treatment - henna only, then right after I rinsed the henna out, I applied indigo - my forth treatment. The results were impressive. All of my white was throughly covered and my hair was one color - black with a slightly burgandy tinge in certain light. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I've decided that I'm going to let my hair slowly turn colors. This is going to be my routine for the next year: Every two weeks, when my white becomes noticeable(sp?) I will apply a mixture of 80% - 90% indigo and 10% henna only to the new growth. I will apply the mix to all my new growth, not just the white, kinda like a touchup relaxer is applied.

I henna'd for the fifth time on August 7th and this time I henna'd only first. Then I applied the 90/10 indigo mix and applied it all over and I like the way it turned my white into reddish/gold.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Wow Very interesting story!! Im really happy that you got the results you needed =) but just to be sure what your saying is, after you chemically dyed immediatly after you used heanna and indigo correct?
CiaE
CiaE

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 15th August 2010, 4:29 am

Right.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum