CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A longterm transitioner, I think.

4 posters

Go down

A longterm transitioner, I think. Empty A longterm transitioner, I think.

Post by pyces82queen 7th August 2010, 8:44 pm

Hello, my name is Brandy and Ive been transitioning since April 2010. I originally started my transition Dec 2009. I made it to April and I felt defeated. I was upset that I could only comb thru my hair after a deep conditioning. I decided to get a little "help". I put in a mild formula Just for Me. Why? My new growth laughed at the creme. As I was applying it, it seemed like my hair was eating it. It was actually funny to watch. As I put it on the cream would sink to the bottom of my new growth and disappear. So after I was finished with the relaxer, my hair looked THE SAME. The only thing it did was make my straight ends straighter. I was so mad. Not that the relaxer didnt take but at myself.
I wish I had known about CurlyNikki and these support forums sooner. So in April I started again. Ive been wearing braids (extentions) since then. Bouncing back and forth between singles and cornrows. It works for me. Saves time and I can see a noticable change in my hair. I use coconut oil for moisture and my hair LOVES it. After a few weeks my new growth fights its way through the braids and literally start lifting the cornrows off of my head.
The texture of my hair is soft and thick like cotton and in a springy Z pattern but that the hairs are fine. When I have it drenched in conditioner is so beautifully soft, wavy and with soft curls. When I wash it out the hairs are still soft but HARD to comb through. Its so thick. I dont think I've ever had this much hair on my head in my life. And for the record I wouldnt remember if I did anyway, Ive had a relaxer since I was 4. I think I see why.Ive apparently been "blowfrying" it. No heat protector and completely dry. Surprisingly, my hair doesnt come out during the process. No breakage. My relaxed hair was so limp, dull, didnt curl, my wrap would fall and be flat after 10 mins...just lifeless.
I dont want that anymore. AND to top it off, baldness runs in my family on the womens side. My mother is almost bald she started losing her hair at 35 and I dont want that for me. My grandmother has no edges, just a big patch of gray and white hair in the middle of her head. 2 of her daughters (my mothers sisters) have a big empty bald spot right in the middle of thier head. My grandmothers sister is bald, shiny bald. NO thank you genes, I'll decline. Ive been experimenting with a lot of natural oils which my natural hair has been responding very well to. Im ready. Ready ready ready ready ready, more than ready to get rid of the remaining relaxed ends. Even though Ive only really been transitioning since April I have a big afro but with relaxer on top. It looks ridiculous. Thats why I keep it in braids.
A bump in the road is my boyfriend and his issues with "short hair". His mother had long hair forever til recent years, relaxers finally started making her break off. His sister has long hair, to her bra strap maybe. Its nice enough I guess. She gets Dominican blowouts and relaxers. Her ends are so fried buuuuut you cant tell her nothin. Her hair is her mothers pride and joy, which is strange. Anyway, my boyfriend whom I love so very very much has locs. Theyre about to the middle of his back now. Hes terrified at the thought of me having short hair. Im thinking,Ive cut my hair before in a bob to my ears that was tapered. As we were having the discussion about me cutting off the relaxer he confessed that he was less than happy about my short hair cuts. My hair wasnt long when we met. I was only to my chin, depending on the day of the weel almost to my shoulders. But nothing to write home about.
I have to admit, I am a little nervous about navigating my way through this new head full of hair. HELP! Smile However I am also very excited. Ive been doing A LOT of research in the past few weeks about making my own shampoos (which I didnt know I could do, yay!), damaging products, how to read the ingredients, using different natural oils that work for my hair, otc products for hydrating curly/wavy hair, YouTube video after video, websites, forums, the works. WHEW!
So now that Ive vented...any pictures of hair fine cottony hair like mine that can keep my on my path, words of encouragement, tips, suggestions, anything would be greatly appreciated.

pyces82queen

Back to top Go down

A longterm transitioner, I think. Empty Re: A longterm transitioner, I think.

Post by Naturally Esq 10th August 2010, 12:27 am

Brandy:
The best tips that I can give you are to (1) make sure that you balance protein and moisture in all of the products that you use: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

(2) Use a deep conditioner weekly, rinse and then apply a leave in conditioner.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 15th September 2010, 11:28 pm

Hey, I know you posted awhile back but I am a long term transitioner (almost 2 years) and my hair type is 4b. I love love love my texture and I am so glad that I decided to continue my journey to natural despite all of the rude comments I received initially from friends (who are now asking for advice). LOL. But it's all good. It is all about the learning process for everyone. If you are detangling your hair after exiting the shower then I suggest that you detangle in sections with a good leave in conditioner. One leave in that I really like is Jane Carter's leave in. It is pretty inexpensive and can be found at Target (who doesn't love target Very Happy ). Sometimes I also leave in a little conditioner that I am using as a rinse out like VO5 if I am running low on a leave in conditioner to detangle my hair. I would say that detangling is probably one of the most important steps with transitioning hair because the hair can easily tangle between the two textures. If you like you can view some of my pics in my fotki. We can stay encouraged together.
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Momma 16th September 2010, 3:53 pm

Hi! I am new here and I need help. I have been transitioning since April. I am very impatient and have cut most of my relaxed hair off. I have about 4 inches of natural hair and about 6-8 inches of permed hair. My head looks a hot, rough mess. Does anyone have any suggestions on products? I don't even almost have the money to buy really expensive stuff, but I don't want to keep nickle and diming myself on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really benefit me. My hair is REALLY dry and my scalp is starting to itch all the time. Please help me! Crying or Very sad
Special Momma
Special Momma

Back to top Go down

Post by Naturally Esq 16th September 2010, 5:55 pm

Special Momma wrote:Hi! I am new here and I need help. I have been transitioning since April. I am very impatient and have cut most of my relaxed hair off. I have about 4 inches of natural hair and about 6-8 inches of permed hair. My head looks a hot, rough mess. Does anyone have any suggestions on products? I don't even almost have the money to buy really expensive stuff, but I don't want to keep nickle and diming myself on a bunch of stuff that doesn't really benefit me. My hair is REALLY dry and my scalp is starting to itch all the time. Please help me! Crying or Very sad

Here are my suggestions:
Step 1: Balance moisture and protein in your products: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

Step 2 : do a ACV clarifying rinse to remove any product build up.
Step 3: shampoo with a non SLS shampoo ( there are many inexpensive ones such as TJ tea tree oil helps with itching scalp)
Step 4. Deep condition with a non SLS conditioner ( there are many inexpensive ones such as TJ tea tree oil for itching scalp or nourish spa for moisture)
Step 5: apply a good leave in then seal with EVCO, or EVOO or shea butter
Step 6, apply styler
Step 7: repeat weekly

I have 4a/b fine textured hair that loves protein. I use Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as my leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam and/or Giovanni LA Natural Style Gel. I seal with Shea Moisture Curl Smoothie or EVCO or castor oil. When I need a moisture boost I use Vatika oil

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Momma 16th September 2010, 8:07 pm

Thanks, that's really helpful. I will check those out!
Special Momma
Special Momma

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallyu 16th September 2010, 8:27 pm

With two kids I can totally relate to products with a low cost. Here are a few lost cost items that I use:

1. African Pride Braid spray (typically less than 5.00) or Jane Carter leave in conditioner (typically less than 10.00) as water based moisturizer. I have even used plain water in a spray bottle for moisture.
2. VO5 conditioner for rinse out or co-washing conditioner (less than 2.00 a bottle and contains no silicones
3. Coconut oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil as sealant
4. Suave Clarifying Shampoo to rid dirt from hair and scalp (less than 5.00 a bottle). Yes, it does contain sulfates and I do use once a week but I always apply conditioner first before using (vo5) so it will not strip all of the moisture from my hair
5. ecostyler gel (very cheap for a huge jar) for twisting and roller sets
6. honey mixed with olive oil or coconut oil for deep conditioner

That's pretty much it. I use very cheap product lines that are effective for me. Every once in awhile I will try something new but I have found that for me at least it is not very effective to jump on every bandwagon as far as products go. I have found that the more expensive product lines in the past did not do a better job than the cheap products that I have in rotation. The key for me was to find a water based moisturizer and seal with an oil everyday unless I am wearing my hair straight and incorporate low manipulation styling into my regimen. Good luck to you on your transition. Very Happy
naturallyu
naturallyu

Back to top Go down

Post by Special Momma 16th September 2010, 11:05 pm

Thanks! All that is really easy for me to locate. Very Happy I actually just went to the store and found sample sizes of the Hollywood Beauty Olive Creme and Frizz Buster serum. I have already put the creme in my hair and I like it! I will try the serum in the a.m. on my ends before rolling. I will let you guys know how that works out.
Special Momma
Special Momma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down