CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

curlykinks

+5
Blackbeauty
beautifuleyez
ChrsLvsBks
NubieNatty
curlykinks
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

curlykinks Empty curlykinks

Post by curlykinks 17th November 2009, 2:40 am

Ok, so I don't know what happened, but my thread dissappeared! I got ready to post and couldn't find myself in the list - *gasp* Oh well, here we are again.

So, I finished two strand twisting my hair an hour or so ago. Couldn't bear to look at the remnanst of a rush, two-day old twistout another day. I found myself getting extremely frustrated by lots of tiny knots at the ends of my hair. Don't get me wrong - I'm no stranger to them. I just can't figure out what to do yo eliminate them or at least get them under control. Help! I desperately need suggestions!!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

curlykinks Empty Re: curlykinks

Post by curlykinks 17th November 2009, 2:41 am

curlykinks wrote:Ok, so I don't know what happened, but my thread disappeared! I got ready to post and couldn't find myself in the list - *gasp* Oh well, here we are again.

So, I finished two strand twisting my hair an hour or so ago. Couldn't bear to look at the remnanst of a rush, two-day old twistout another day. I found myself getting extremely frustrated by lots of tiny knots at the ends of my hair. Don't get me wrong - I'm no stranger to them. I just can't figure out what to do to eliminate them or at least get them under control. Help! I desperately need suggestions!!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 18th November 2009, 2:13 am

Ok, so I had a pretty lengthy post, but my laptop died and ruined the whole thing. Anyway, here's my hair today:

curlykinks Th_2009-11-17134135

As you can probably tell from the facial expression, I wasn't thrilled about it. I'm sooo frustrated with the tiny knots, plus I have some tangles leftover from the coils I did about two weeks ago. Apparently, when I washed my hair late last week some of my hair was still kinda coily and became a matted, tangled nightmare after my cowash - grrr!

I need serious help! I'm almost ready to just whack a couple of inches off and say the heck with it. But that's not a solution. I stopped by Sally's today on my quest to find a Denman brush. Why does it seem that every place I go carries the D3 style! Is that the correct style brush to use or does it matter?

Help!!!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 21st November 2009, 8:04 pm

Ok, I've been away for a minute. Gotta get back on my game! LOL Anyway, I bought a bunch of hair stuff today - a new shampoo, a tried-and-true leave-in (Jane Carter Solution) that I had gotten away from using, some unrefined coconut oil (yay), another pack of larger rod rollers and, drum roll please...a Denman brush! I'm superexcited/nervous about using the Denman but am desperately seeking any remedy to the knots I've been wrestling with. I can't decide if I'm going to do my trusty twistout or actually leave the twists in for a few days and play with different styles before taking them down. We'll see how it goes - wish me luck!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 23rd November 2009, 9:38 am

Good morning! I'm feeling pretty good about my hair for a change. In my quest to get my hair "on track," I tried a few new products this weekend - an unrefined coconut oil (I heard so much about it that I HAD to try it), Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo and the Denman Brush. I also went back to my Jane Carter Solution Leave-In Conditioner - don't know why I ever strayed from this standby.

The shampoo - I can't really say how I feel about it just yet. Since I don't use shampoos regularly, none of them really impress me. Plus, I think I'm always waiting for bad "side effect": dry hair, etc. Let me use this one a few more times before I deliver a verdict.

Now the Denman...let me just say that there was some shedding, though I was quite gentle and my hair was loaded with conditioner. But it wasn't like the brush left me bald. In fact, I almost think the hair I shed needed to go! And can I just say that I love the way it left my hair feeling - it didn't "distort" my curls as I've heard some people say it did to them. I actually finger detangled first, so the shedding was from both the brush and the pre-detangling session. I kinda wish I had used my widetooth comb somewhere in there as well. I don't think I'm gonna make the Denman a weekly part of my routine - maybe every two weeks for once a month...? I'll definitely be using it again, though. When I say my hair was completely tangle-free when I finished - oh, it was glorious. I had very minimal, almost non-existent, shedding when I two-strand twisted my hair. I think I'm sold!

Last edited by curlykinks on 23rd November 2009, 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by NubieNatty 23rd November 2009, 10:10 am

ur hair looks good, u got any color in there?
NubieNatty
NubieNatty

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd November 2009, 11:28 am

I have read others curl their ends to protect them. This may help reduce or rid you of the fairy knots.

What type of Denman do you have? A picture would be great. I have one but don't know which I have.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beautifuleyez 23rd November 2009, 3:44 pm

curlykinks wrote:Good morning! I'm feeling pretty good about my hair for a change. In my quest to get my hair "on track," I tried a few new products this weekend - an unrefined coconut oil (I heard so much about it that I HAD to try it), Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo and the Denman Brush. I also went back to my Jane Carter Solution Leave-In Conditioner - don't know why I ever strayed from this standby.

The shampoo - I can't really say how I feel about it just yet. Since I don't use shampoos regularly, none of them really impress me. Plus, I think I'm always waiting for bad "side effect": dry hair, etc. Let me use this one a few more times before I deliver a verdict.

Now the Denman...let me just say that there was some shedding, though I was quite gentle and my hair was loaded with conditioner. But it wasn't like the brush left me bald. In fact, I almost think the hair I shed needed to go! And can I just say that I love the way it left my hair feeling - it didn't "distort" my curls as I've heard some people say it did to them. I actually finger detangled first, so the shedding was from both the brush and the pre-detangling session. I kinda wish I had used my widetooth comb somewhere in there as well. I don't think I'm gonna make the Denman a weekly part of my routine - maybe every two weeks for once a month...? I'll definitely be using it again, though. When I say my hair was completely tangle-free when I finished - oh, it was glorious. I had very minimal, almost non-existent, shedding when I two-strand twisted my hair. I think I'm sold!

Sounds great! Which Denman did you use? I got the D3 this weekend myself and I am getting ready to try it out!
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 23rd November 2009, 9:47 pm

NubieNattyTwn-kisha wrote:ur hair looks good, u got any color in there?

Thanks! Yes, unfortunately I do have color in it. I'm counting the days until it grows out!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 23rd November 2009, 9:54 pm

ChrsLvsBks wrote:I have read others curl their ends to protect them. This may help reduce or rid you of the fairy knots.

What type of Denman do you have? A picture would be great. I have one but don't know which I have.

Hmm... I didn't think about curling them for that specific purpose. I've curled them before simply to achieve a certain look. I may have to try that!

I actually bought the D3 Denman brush from Sally Beauty Supply. Seems to be the only one they carry for some reason. It should say on the back of your box which type it is, if you happen to have it. I'll tryto remember to post a pic - in case I forget, it's the black brush with a red cushion/pad and stiff white, plastic bristles.

Good luck with the brush - post your review! And be very careful with it - make sure your hair is soaking wet and loaded with condish. As I mentioned in my post, I did experience some shedding.
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 23rd November 2009, 9:56 pm

beautifuleyez wrote:
curlykinks wrote:Good morning! I'm feeling pretty good about my hair for a change. In my quest to get my hair "on track," I tried a few new products this weekend - an unrefined coconut oil (I heard so much about it that I HAD to try it), Giovanni Smooth As Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo and the Denman Brush. I also went back to my Jane Carter Solution Leave-In Conditioner - don't know why I ever strayed from this standby.

Sounds great! Which Denman did you use? I got the D3 this weekend myself and I am getting ready to try it out!

I got the D3 Denman brush. Good luck - I'd love to hear how it goes! Maybe you'll discover a technique I need to try!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackbeauty 24th November 2009, 8:49 pm

I noticed that the D3 was the only one Sallys carried Sad So i bought my D-31 online from amazon but I had to much a little more b/c of shipping & handling Sad. They should sell more of a variety or at least a brush that lloks like the D-31 or D-41. BTW I HEART your hair curlykinks Icon_razz !!
Blackbeauty
Blackbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by boingboing 24th November 2009, 9:59 pm

hope u like the denman mine has helped my hair so much i would die with out it lol

boingboing

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 24th November 2009, 10:09 pm

Blackbeauty wrote:I noticed that the D3 was the only one Sallys carried Sad So i bought my D-31 online from amazon but I had to much a little more b/c of shipping & handling Sad. They should sell more of a variety or at least a brush that lloks like the D-31 or D-41. BTW I HEART your hair curlykinks Icon_razz !!

What's the difference with the D-31 and D-41? I don't think I've heard of those.

And thanks for the compliment! curlykinks Icon_biggrin
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 24th November 2009, 10:11 pm

boingboing wrote:hope u like the denman mine has helped my hair so much i would die with out it lol

So far, so good. I haven't decided how often I should use it, especially in light of the shedding. How long have you been using yours? Did your shedding decrease as you used it more? What kind of Denman do you have?
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 24th November 2009, 10:53 pm

So, here's my two-day-old twistout updo:

curlykinks Th_2009-11-24060722curlykinks Th_2009-11-24075629

curlykinks Th_2009-11-24061522curlykinks Th_2009-11-24061703

Still don't have the front the way I want it. I'm trying to copy this one look I saw on Fotki! I think I'm gonna leave it up until I get to my parents house tomorrow night, then I'm gonna take it down, possibly retwist it and redo it for Thanksgiving Day.

Wish me luck!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 24th November 2009, 11:00 pm

Ok, so I'm nearly bubbling over with excitement. I'm supposed to see my niece and nephew over the holiday and I've volunteered do a little "hair repair" on my 6-year-old niece's headful of long, gorgeous natural hair. The issue: my sister also has naturally, wavy soft hair but has been getting it relaxed for at least 20 years now. My niece has that same wavy hair, but my sister has no intentions of putting a perm in it. So, my sister has been using the same products on my niece's hair that she uses on hers and, in many ways, treats it like her permed hair - serious shampoo scrubdowns and all. OH NO!

So, I've decided to try to swoop in to the rescue. I think I've pinpointed the issues and hope to help her find solutions. I told her I'd bring my products/tools, including a good pair of hair scissors, and get to work. My niece has been under the weather, so I hope they actually make it!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by beautifuleyez 25th November 2009, 1:47 am

curlykinks wrote:
beautifuleyez wrote:

I got the D3 Denman brush. Good luck - I'd love to hear how it goes! Maybe you'll discover a technique I need to try!

Hey curlykinks, I'm not sure if you saw my response over on my post, so I will respond here also. I fell in love with my D3 (along with several other new products I debuted). But it really worked wonders for me. I did load my hair up with half a bottle of conditioner before i used it. But it detangled my hair like a dream. I will definitely be using it again and again. I have even considered ordering a D31, which according to NaturallyCurlyEnnovy, is made for curly hair types! But that is the PJ in me, because I had a great experience with the one I already have!

BTW, love your hair! And it's great that you are able to help teach your niece how to love and care for her hair. What a great Auntie!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 25th November 2009, 2:23 am

I bought the D41 as a result of reading the difference by NaturallyCurlyEnnovy on NaturallyCurly.com. I use it every time I
co-wash for even distribution of product. Love it. I do have some shedding, but not even close to a hair ball.
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by Enchantment 25th November 2009, 2:24 am

My bad, curlykinks, lovin the twist updo!
Enchantment
Enchantment

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 25th November 2009, 8:22 am

[quote="Enchantment"]I bought the D41 as a result of reading the difference by NaturallyCurlyEnnovy on NaturallyCurly.com. I use it every time I
co-wash for even distribution of product. Love it. I do have some shedding, but not even close to a hair ball.[
/quote]

Ok - I'm going to give my brush another go and see if I still have the same amount of shedding. I may need to switch to a different type of Denman.

And thanks for the compliment!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 26th November 2009, 8:58 pm

So I took the ol' updo down today. *sigh* I kinda wanted to touch it up - really I want to give it another go at achieving the look I really want. But after taking my hair down, I kinda had the itch to leave it out and free for the rest of the week. Then, I remembered the knots and tangles I've been battling and how difficult it will be to keep my hands away. And how I'm really trying to challenge myself to wear more protective styles. So, before the night is up, I'm doing to retwist it and go from there. I did leave the house for a bit today, but I threw on my little slouch cap to disguise what was underneath!

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Gobble gobble!
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by beautifuleyez 26th November 2009, 9:19 pm

Love the twist updo. Post some pics of the take down!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Blessings
beautifuleyez
beautifuleyez

Back to top Go down

Post by curlykinks 26th November 2009, 9:56 pm

Ok, so I have a question. I've noticed since I went natural that more people like to touch/caress/palm, etc., my hair. Very annoying!!! This rarely happened when I had relaxed hair.

It happens all the time, especially at work. A coworker will walk up, exclaiming over my most recent 'do, hands outstretched, if not already in my hair! Rarely does someone ask if they can touch it first.

Ugh - does this happen to you?
curlykinks
curlykinks

Back to top Go down

Post by LilMsPuddles 26th November 2009, 10:02 pm

all the time, my WHOLE life. She has a new(hands already in my hair before I know they are talking about me) hairstyle. It didn't matter if I was straight or curly.
BTW love your hairstyle from the 24th!
Happy Thanksgiving
LilMsPuddles
LilMsPuddles

http://twitter.com/Ms_Puddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: