CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Just made a discovery.

5 posters

Go down

Just made a discovery. Empty Just made a discovery.

Post by LushAfroBush 1st August 2010, 11:40 pm

Karishma is the most popular, but you can add Reshma, Ayur Rajasthani, Seasons Dulhan, Godrej Nupur and many, many others. I just discovered that these powders are the same; only difference is the brand name. They're all some type of henna with amla, brahmi, aritha, shikakai, neem and other herbs added to them for enrichment. Since I didn't realize this before, I was frantically trying to keep up with these brands and purchasing them all online. Now I know better. When you know better, you do better(Oprah's quote). So with that being said, I will make my own enriched herbal henna by purchasing good quality henna powder and adding other herbs. It's the same thing. Now don't get me wrong, the mentioned brands are wonderful. I just don't need them all.
LushAfroBush
LushAfroBush

Back to top Go down

Just made a discovery. Empty Re: Just made a discovery.

Post by Estiscurls 2nd August 2010, 1:46 am

But where do you find good quality henna powder without all the extra herbs?
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 2nd August 2010, 6:58 am

@ Esticurls by asking if it's "body art quality" henna. You can still buy this in the Indian stores such as Jamila and Dulhan Mehandi.

I personally don't like the packaged henna with the added herbs - I've experimented with a few, mostly Ayur Rajasthani and Godrej Nupur. The quality of the stain just isn't the same as the body art quality henna that I've used and it seems to fade too, which isn't too great if you have grey hairs. They seem to be good if you are mostly after conditioning benefits though.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 2nd August 2010, 9:38 am

R2D2, I saw the Jamila Henna @ my local Indian store, but it didn't have a batch date on it. Is that ok to purchase?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 3rd August 2010, 4:52 am

If the Jamila is undated it's probably not henna that is being marketed for the body art market but it doesn't mean it's not 100% henna.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 4th August 2010, 9:23 am

Thanks R2D2 I think I'll try the Karishma or Reshma Hennas because they had batch stamps on them.

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 6th August 2010, 9:24 pm

hi Carolina Natural,
be mindful that if there isn't a date stamp on it (as with Jmaila BAQ/date stamp) then there still arent any guarantees as to its freshness. Best not to purchase in bulk, but grab a box and try it out for the stain. If you get a nice stain after dye release then you know it's fresh and not been sitting on the shelf for 5 years, lol
If you see a box of Jamila henna that has no date stamp on the bottom it is Jamila Henna for Hair, which is what I recommend for people who arent hennaing for color. It does give a slight tint and is definitely 100% henna from the same company(Jamila brand/Abid &co) but its not suitable for body art (hence the name Henna for Hair).
hope this helps!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 7th August 2010, 1:22 am

I just bought some Reshma henna today at an Indian market in Diamond Hills. Although the package didn't have a date on it, it did say that this henna can be used "as decorative dye on palms and feet" so that would be "BAQ" - body art quality. This will be my 5th henna and I've only used Reshma from the Indian store and it's great for color and conditioning. My dry, frizzy hair has become unbelievably soft and silky. And the price!! $3.29 is a little higher than the local Indian market I go to but STILL, that's really cheap when you remember that that's for 200 grams rather than the usual 100 grams.

I don't know what's better - the color or the conditioning.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by Estiscurls on 30th August 2010, 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by LushAfroBush 7th August 2010, 2:23 am

@Estiscurls - Beautiful! I hear Reshma is supreme stuff.
LushAfroBush
LushAfroBush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down