CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a good road/hair map!

3 posters

Go down

Looking for a good road/hair map! Empty Looking for a good road/hair map!

Post by Wife&Mom 19th July 2010, 11:21 pm

Okay ladies!!

I need support! I have been a pressed hair girl for the great bulk of my life. Whenever I've crossed over to the dark side (perms) it destroyed my hair and I went back through the process of growing out my relaxer. So I enjoy working out and wearing pressed hair is not at all conducive to sweat!! I do a LOT of sew ins just to give my hair a chance to be braided and undisturbed underneath but I have an extremely itchy scalp so that gets annoying too! My girlfriend told me about this site and I've loved reading everyone's stories. I tried the twist out a few weeks ago and thought it was cool! I have 4b hair which is SUCH a challenge but today after I got home from the gym, I cowashed and twisted my hair with Aphogee's leave in conditioner. I'm not a big fan of purchasing products with the hope of them possibly working. I would just like to use products I have OR find something fool proof and use it. Buying a bunch of stuff trying to find the perfect one is SO not an option. Too much money and too much clutter. LOL!

Any encouragement you can offer would be great! My goal is to figure out how to get my 4b hair (that shrinks up to a TWA when wet though its shoulder length dry and pressed) to have a natural wave similar to Nikki's!! Smile If that will never happen please tell me and I'll move on. BUT if someone has "tamed" their 4b hair into a nice soft curl pattern PLEASE share your secret. Stylists ALWAYS talk about taming and training your hair. Has anyone seen this happen?! I'm just looking for direction. Please help.

Looking for a good road/hair map!

Wife&Mom

Back to top Go down

Looking for a good road/hair map! Empty Re: Looking for a good road/hair map!

Post by Naturally Esq 20th July 2010, 6:48 am

I have 4a/b hair and have been transitioning since 9/09. Yes, I know about shrinkage! My curls "popped" when I started using the products that provided my hair with a balance of moisture and protein. This is the link to a great article on that subject: http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?singlepage=true&cat=69

I use only Giovanni Products that can be bought at Whole Foods, Target, Walmart, CVS, Pharmaca, and health food stores. Once a week, I use Giovanni Smooth As Silk (SAS) Deeper Moisture Shampoo to poo, SAS Deeper Moisture Conditioner and Reconstructor to DC, SAS Xtreme Protein Infusion or Direct Leave In as part of the Kimmaytube leave in, I set my hair with Giovanni Natural Mousse Hair Styling Foam. I use the braid outs to style.

HTH
Naturally Esq
Naturally Esq

Back to top Go down

Post by Thetruthisoutthere 23rd July 2010, 6:41 pm

Thank you for posting that link, Naturally Esq. It was very informative!

Dear Wife&Mom,

I think Nikki has 3c/4a hair. She also pampers the heck out of it! LOL!

1. Please note how she anchors her twists with clips,

2. Uses styling aids with either "weight" or "hold".

3. She also has a lot of length which aids in stretching while drying.

I get nervous when I hear the word tame mentioned around my hair. "Tame" is synonymous with damage. Stylists often whisper in your ear that "taming" this little hair of yours will make it softer and easier to style.

I was shocked by Nikki's posting about Dominican salons that secretly slip relaxer into deep treatments to "tame" the hair of natural patrons.

I've been saddened when I see YouTube posters regretfully lamenting their limp and lifeless locks that have been "tamed" by flat ironing until the kinks no longer coil when they need them to.

I'm no natural hair militant, so don't get me wrong. I am trusting in the suggestions from Nikki's readers that conditioning and length maintenence will help me get to longer, softer, healthier hair.

When I need a little length or body, I band my hair and let it air dry. I even band it before I apply gels.

Please search YouTube for BANDING and BANDING with FLEXI ROD tutorials.

HTH
Thetruthisoutthere
Thetruthisoutthere

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down