CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rash from Henna?

5 posters

Go down

Rash from Henna? Empty Rash from Henna?

Post by DannyCurl 7th July 2010, 12:25 pm

I tried henna for the first time on the 4th. Everything
went as planned, and the results are great. But did anyone other than me get a slight
rash? I had some minor itching on my face and neck for a day, but my ears
seem to have gotten it the worse. They are sporadically itchy, and kind of feel
as if there is a rash present. But other than the occasional tingle, everything
else seems fine. Has anyone else encountered this?
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Rash from Henna? Empty Re: Rash from Henna?

Post by BlakButterfli 7th July 2010, 5:09 pm

Danny, I henna'd on the 4th for the first time too! Smile I didn't notice any itching except for the little mixture that dried on my neck.
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 7th July 2010, 5:20 pm

Congrats! I had a blast doing it. Do you have any plans to do it again soon? I'm going to henna again this weekend.

The rash itself isn't really significant, I just wanted to know if it was just me or a possible side effect from the plant/dye.
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 7th July 2010, 10:03 pm

What exactly is the name of the henna and where did you purchase it?
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakButterfli 9th July 2010, 12:41 am

Yes, I plan on doing henna at least once a month. I'm liking how my hair is feeling and it may just be wishful thinking on my part, but I think my hair feels different. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
BlakButterfli
BlakButterfli

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 1:20 pm

@LittleOne I used Jamila Henna, green tea, and honey.
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 1:41 pm

@BlakButterfli I plan on doing it at least once a week for the first month, and then once a month after that. I love that my hair is so easy to comb through now; it doesn't tangle anymore. I’m transitioning so that was a real selling point; I’m hoping that henna will make the journey a little less dramatic!
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 9th July 2010, 2:35 pm

DannyCurl wrote:@LittleOne I used Jamila Henna, green tea, and honey.

Ok, good. Jamila is considered safe as far as I know. After re-reading your 1st post, it sounds like you didn't have any bumps but just itching, is that right? If so, you might have had some henna residue left. Henna can be sneaky like that. After my 1st few hennas, I would rinse really thoroughly (for 2-3 minutes) and co-wash 2x. I wouldn't see any more orange anywhere after my shower was over..until l noticed my fingernails were turning orange during the week Embarassed . There was henna left on my scalp and maybe in the hair at my roots that I could not rinse out and could not really see. I was a little itchy until I washed with shampoo around mid week.

Try prepping your hairline and ears with an oil or butter so that it's easier to wipe off the excess henna after you put it on your hair. Also, consider a quick shampoo after the rinse out (if you didn't do that the 1st time).
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelydivine 9th July 2010, 2:41 pm

What are you all mixing with the henna? I'm trying it this weekend. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] So help me out Ladies. I have Jamila Henna BAQ.

lovelydivine

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 9th July 2010, 3:04 pm

I have tried:

1) lemon juice
2) orange juice
3) acv + orange juice
4) organic plain greek yogurt

Lemon juice left my hair feeling dry. All the other mixes produced similar results. ACV kind of stinks when you mix it with the henna smell. I like orange juice best because it helps combat the smell and leaves my hair soft. I'm about to apply my Henna from Yemen. Last night, I mixed 200g Henna with lemon juice (had to finish the bottle) and orange juice. It's been sitting in the cabinet above the stove since 10p last night. I will also mix in some ginger powder before I start applying because it helps with the smell too.
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 3:05 pm

@lovelydivine: The first time I used green tea, and honey. My hair felt a little dry for the first day (even after deep conditioning). But I am going to henna tonight and use coconut milk instead of tea.
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 3:25 pm

LittleOne wrote:
DannyCurl wrote:@LittleOne I used Jamila Henna, green tea, and honey.

Ok, good. Jamila is considered safe as far as I know. After re-reading your 1st post, it sounds like you didn't have any bumps but just itching, is that right? If so, you might have had some henna residue left. Henna can be sneaky like that. After my 1st few hennas, I would rinse really thoroughly (for 2-3 minutes) and co-wash 2x. I wouldn't see any more orange anywhere after my shower was over..until l noticed my fingernails were turning orange during the week [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . There was henna left on my scalp and maybe in the hair at my roots that I could not rinse out and could not really see. I was a little itchy until I washed with shampoo around mid week.

Try prepping your hairline and ears with an oil or butter so that it's easier to wipe off the excess henna after you put it on your hair. Also, consider a quick shampoo after the rinse out (if you didn't do that the 1st time).

I used coconut oil. There felt there was a rash, but it could have just been irritation for left over henna. Thanks for the advice!
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelydivine 9th July 2010, 4:17 pm

@littleone thanks for the tip I will be trying this. What kind of orange juice and how much.

@DannyCurl what type of coconut oil are you using and how much?

lovelydivine

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 4:48 pm

lovelydivine wrote:@littleone thanks for the tip I will be trying this. What kind of orange juice and how much.

@DannyCurl what type of coconut oil are you using and how much?

I used Nutiva Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. I ordered it from Amazon. This is my first experience with EVCO. So far so good.
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by lovelydivine 9th July 2010, 6:06 pm

@DannyCurl thank you so much. I have some of that oil I may just use that instead. I will let you know. I'm trying to upload pictures but its not going to good. Again thanks for helping a fellow curly out.

lovelydivine

Back to top Go down

Post by Butterfly126 9th July 2010, 6:14 pm

@DannyCurl
You mentioned that you were transitioning. I'm transitioning also and have considered trying henna. Did your relaxed hair feel any different than the new growth after the henna?

Sorry, I know its a little off topic! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Butterfly126
Butterfly126

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 6:37 pm

Butterfly126 wrote:@DannyCurl
You mentioned that you were transitioning. I'm transitioning also and have considered trying henna. Did your relaxed hair feel any different than the new growth after the henna?

Sorry, I know its a little off topic! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Maybe it was just my imagination, but it felt as if my relaxed ends were stronger and thicker. After a couple days they softened up and now look and feel very healthy. The henna defined and separated my natural curl so much that my 1 inch of new growth dictated how and where my relaxed ends fell. Because of which my hair was very big and wild until I roller set it! The best thing I have found (so far) with henna is that it made my very very very thick hair easy to manage when Cowashing and detangling. I have never been able to comb through my hair when in the shower, and I did it for the first time after using henna.
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleOne 9th July 2010, 7:03 pm

Fyi - I have read that coconut oil can block the dye from taking to your hair. I know a lot of people use oils in their mix though. I personally avoid oils in my mix for that reason.

I use whatever OJ is in the fridge. Right now it's Trader Joe's no pulp, not from concentrate. I use enough liquid to make the henna look like lumpy mashed potatoes. After the dye has released, I add more liquid to make the henna look like thick, smooth yogurt. You want the final consistency to be thick enough that it's not drippy, but easy to spread through your hair.

@DannyCurl, if you experienced a rash after your first time with EVCO you may be allergic to coconut...? You should put some coconut oil on your arm somewhere for a few hrs and see what happens.

I use Nutiva Organic EVCO also! Great deal from Amazon. I don't use it in my henna, but I do use it to deep condition.

Last edited by LittleOne on 9th July 2010, 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the answer to how much orange juice?)
LittleOne
LittleOne

Back to top Go down

Post by DannyCurl 9th July 2010, 9:45 pm

LittleOne wrote:Fyi - I have read that coconut oil can block the dye from taking to your hair. I know a lot of people use oils in their mix though. I personally avoid oils in my mix for that reason.

I use whatever OJ is in the fridge. Right now it's Trader Joe's no pulp, not from concentrate. I use enough liquid to make the henna look like lumpy mashed potatoes. After the dye has released, I add more liquid to make the henna look like thick, smooth yogurt. You want the final consistency to be thick enough that it's not drippy, but easy to spread through your hair.

@DannyCurl, if you experienced a rash after your first time with EVCO you may be allergic to coconut...? You should put some coconut oil on your arm somewhere for a few hrs and see what happens.

I use Nutiva Organic EVCO also! Great deal from Amazon. I don't use it in my henna, but I do use it to deep condition.

I didn't know that about EVCO [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Thanks for the info! And I used EVCO prior to henna so that's rules out.

I noticed when I work out that my ears get itchy. I'm starting to think I must have left some henna on my ears overnight. The itching is no where else but on my ears. I guess I will just have to be more careful next time.
DannyCurl
DannyCurl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down