CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Color after Hendigo

+4
ButterQueen
carfi366
envizionj
DvaAuNaturel
8 posters

Go down

Color after Hendigo Empty Color after Hendigo

Post by DvaAuNaturel 1st July 2010, 12:48 am

I've used henna and indigo to color my hair at least 3 times over the past few months. I am now considering permanent hair color. I know both henna and indigo are permanent hair colors and you must be careful when using chemical dyes over them. I want to know if anyone has used permanent/semi-permanent hair color over their henna and/or indigo or hendigo (henna+indigo mix) colored hair.

I read on the henna for hair site that since henna and indigo are permanent the color has to grow out of your hair or be cut. I'm not cutting my hair. How long does the color take to grow out? If you color over your hair what were the results? I willing to let my hair grow out so that when I go to the salon I won't have to have anything additional like color correction done before it can be colored.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Color after Hendigo Empty Re: Color after Hendigo

Post by envizionj 3rd July 2010, 3:23 pm

Why are you considering chemical permanent hair color when your hair looks gorgeous and healthy in your avatar? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have heard about some women applying mineral oil to remove the henna.

Here are a few links on the subject ...

http://haircare.suite101.com/article.cfm/methods_for_removing_henna_from_hair

http://www.ehow.com/how_5076799_remove-henna-hair.html

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/removehenna.htm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 3rd July 2010, 3:55 pm

Devacurl, Ihave to agree with Envizionj your hair looks so pretty and healthy without the chemicals. According to hennaforhair.com, page 34, http://www.hennaforhair.com/freebooks/hennaforhair.pdf,

"You can use pure body art quality henna and indigo over synthetic dyes and chemical processes, and you can use chemical processes over henna and indigo."

Good luck on whatever you decide.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 3rd July 2010, 4:55 pm

envizionj wrote:Why are you considering chemical permanent hair color when your hair looks gorgeous and healthy in your avatar? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have heard about some women applying mineral oil to remove the henna.

Here are a few links on the subject ...

http://haircare.suite101.com/article.cfm/methods_for_removing_henna_from_hair

http://www.ehow.com/how_5076799_remove-henna-hair.html

http://www.hairfinder.com/hair2/removehenna.htm

Thanks. I'm considering color because I'm having to apply the henna/indigo so frequently. When I flatwisted the other day my gray was so visible and I didn't like it.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 3rd July 2010, 5:05 pm

DvaAunatural, could it be due to rapid hair growth rather than the color coming off? I have noticed more grey also, but that is the new hair coming in at my roots as well as my hair growing out. I examine my hair every time I henna, especially the front of my hair where the greys show up. I have a few short ones that I've been keeping a tab on, and now they are longer and dark auburn since I use the Jamila BAQ henna.

I would love to do a two-step with the indigo, but unfortunately, I'm allergic to it. Using the indigo with just 2 tablespoons added to my henna gives me a migraine. The 2-step had my head pounding when I put on the indigo for 1 hour or more.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 3rd July 2010, 8:18 pm

The sites you provided are very helpful. Looks like mineral oil is the key to removing the henna. But I also wonder if I can let it grow out too?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 3rd July 2010, 9:26 pm

I'm sure your hair can grow out, but how long are you willing to wait while your gray grows in?

Another option is to cut it all off and start all over again.

Whatever you decide, this forum will get you through it. I have a feeling that once you try the chemicals again, you will want to come back to the Henna world.
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by ButterQueen 3rd July 2010, 10:06 pm

Hi Dva,
these ladies are too right, your hair looks wonderful. Now actually henna isn't permanent in the sense that you shouldn't use chemicals over it, but over a period of time henna fades completely with washing kind of lie using a rinse and the more you wash the more it fades. Chemical dyes are harsh to your hair not to mention your entire body (particularly your brain) knowing that all things we put on our hair on our skin is ingested into our bodies. The skin is the largest organ in our bodies it breathes and absorbs all the stuff just like our intestines absorb nutrients and toxins. Are you up to eating that stuff you'll be putting in your hair?? [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Just some food for thought!
ButterQueen
ButterQueen

http://www.butters-n-bars.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th July 2010, 12:13 am

I know I know about the toxins and everything. There has to be something I can do about this gray hair. I'm too young seriously for all this gray and honestly don't think I can continue with the monthly hendigo treatments. It's too much. I really need something a little more permanent. I've given it some thought and I truly do like the henna/indigo but it is just not lasting. Do you have any tips on making it last longer?

Also, there are ways to wear permanent hair color and maintain healthy hair. It's been done, not impossible or the worst thing especially since my hair has no other chemicals in it. I know conditioning will be of the utmost importance if I do it.

I've found a site for natural hair color but not sure and still researching that angle.

http://www.ecocolors.net/
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 4th July 2010, 12:22 am

Hi Deva-
How often did you have to dye when you were using chemical color? I'm anticipating I will probably have to hendigo just as often as when I was doing the chemical color, which for me was about every 3-4 weeks. Now that my hair seems to be growing like a weed since I've gone natural I'll probably have to hendigo and henna gloss just as much to keep up with this stubborn gray that's apart of Curlybops landscape. Just something to think about before you decide.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 4th July 2010, 11:44 am

carfi366 wrote:Hi Deva-
How often did you have to dye when you were using chemical color? I'm anticipating I will probably have to hendigo just as often as when I was doing the chemical color, which for me was about every 3-4 weeks. Now that my hair seems to be growing like a weed since I've gone natural I'll probably have to hendigo and henna gloss just as much to keep up with this stubborn gray that's apart of Curlybops landscape. Just something to think about before you decide.

Hey Carfi,
When I was having my hair colored in the past I think I had my roots retouched about every 6-8 weeks maybe even longer. I had highlights and lowlights. I'm still exploring.

Did you do your color yourself or have it done professionally?
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 4th July 2010, 1:18 pm

DvaAuNaturel wrote:
carfi366 wrote:Hi Deva-

Hey Carfi,
When I was having my hair colored in the past I think I had my roots retouched about every 6-8 weeks maybe even longer. I had highlights and lowlights. I'm still exploring.

Did you do your color yourself or have it done professionally?

Oh no I went to a professional, my hair was so thin and fragile when I was relaxing and coloring. I wouldn't dare try to do it myself. I did one time and it was a mess, LOL.
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 5th July 2010, 3:26 pm

Carfi366, you will definitely have to color your hair more often in the natural state. The new growth comes in like crazy, especially with the ayurvedic oils and powders, as well as moisturizing the hair often.

My co-workers wear dread locs and use chemical coloring, and their new growth of gray, like ours grows in every 2 weeks or less. Due to the excessive coloring, they are experiencing a lot of breakage, especially around the hairline where they are covering the gray. Some have even started using the brush in color sticks. It looks like mascara, but it's not. It is great for hairline touch ups. I use the Kiss brand myself in between hennaing. Here is a photo. It may be purchased at your local beauty supply store. In New York, it is $3.99 plus tax.
http://www.extremebeautysupply.com/catalog/002bruch-in-colerr-12-21-07n07_thumb.jpg [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 5th July 2010, 3:39 pm

I used to have locs and colored my hair as well. I experienced no breakage at all and had my hair colored probably every 8-10 weeks. I wonder what is causing your co-workers hair to break. Everybody is different I guess. There isn't one thing that fits everyone and you have to care for your hair.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by carfi366 6th July 2010, 10:09 am

DvaAuNaturel cute new avi! Loving those earrings girl!
carfi366
carfi366

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 6th July 2010, 7:58 pm

Thank you! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] The earrings are by none other than fellow CN.com member Notthecoolmom.
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by poeticlyspkng 13th July 2010, 11:48 am

Hey Dva, I am pondering the same issue. I have henna'ed AND I want some highlights. I'm not sure what will happen so I've been thinking about semi- or demi-permanent color, maybe just in a section of my hair. I saw that Tiashauntee has done similar without problem in a different thread. I think I'll ask her more about it.
poeticlyspkng
poeticlyspkng

http://www.curlynikki.forumotion.com/the-curl-street-journal-f14

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 13th July 2010, 7:22 pm

Dvaunatural, it is possibly from them wearing long locs below their butts and the strain of the weight of the hair on their hairlines. One of the ladies goes to get hers retwisted and the lady that does it pulls it so tight that she eventually has to take it down because her head hurts. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 13th July 2010, 9:46 pm

I got a henna back in 2007 and freaked because my gray turned out orange. I then dyed my hair a medium brown with chemical dye and had no problems.

Funny thing, I am changing to henna (and indigo) because I can touch up my roots every week while I would go four to six weeks between dye jobs. I hated it because I ended up with an inch of white hair.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 20th July 2010, 3:50 pm

@ Estiscurls do you have to henna before you do the indigo touchup?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by envizionj 20th July 2010, 8:10 pm

Carolina Natural, you must henna before indigo or it won't turn your hair dark brown/black. If you have gray hair and just color it with indigo before you put on the henna firs, you will have blue hair. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
envizionj
envizionj

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 20th July 2010, 8:32 pm

@ envizionj, I'm sorry if I sound crazy, but I'm really trying to get a great understanding of this. So, did a henna/indigo treatment Sunday and if my hair grows this week I need to henna again and then indigo or is the henna treatment from Sunday good enough or can I mix both of them together and my hair will still be black?

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 20th July 2010, 10:36 pm

Hi Carolina Natural,

If you want black then just apply indigo by itself on top of the henna/indigo base that you did on Sunday. As long as you don't have any regrowth of white/grey hairs I think this is fine, so would suggest a maximum of 2 weeks in which you can apply indigo by itself on top of hennaed hair.

Also just for future reference, its difficult to get black by mixing henna and indigo and applying in one sitting, the darkest you will achieve is dark brown. It's better to apply the henna first and then the indigo (up to 2 weeks after the henna). I usually do the indigo straight after washing out the henna.
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 21st July 2010, 2:14 am

Carolina Natural wrote:@ Estiscurls do you have to henna before you do the indigo touchup?

Yes. First apply the henna to the roots and stay on for a few hours then rinse. THEN apply the indigo to the roots. - you can do it immediately after rinsing the henna.

I am going to henna my roots this weekend and depending on how I feel I'll apply indigo too. My hair is currently black and I think it's too harsh for me so, I'm thinking about just using henna and possibly letting my white grow out into brownish - orange.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolina Natural 21st July 2010, 2:48 pm

Thank you so much everybody for the advice!

Carolina Natural

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down