For The Mommies Who Went Natural

Go down

For The Mommies Who Went Natural

Post by luvinlife225 on 30th June 2010, 3:50 pm

Hey Ladies!

I'm expecting my 1st child in January and I'm soo excited! This was completely unexpected as I'd been told that I'd have trouble conceiving so when it happened on it's own imagine my surprise! I've always known that when the time came I wanted to have a natural childbirth. I'm certainly not taking anything away from the moms who used pain meds because I'm not against them (not even for myself if I feel I need them) but I'm surprised by the negative reaction I've received from my inner circle when I tell them I want to go natural. Maybe the idea needs to grow on them a bit but in the meantime and inbetween time I'd like to know how you prepared to birth w/out pain meds and were you able to have a natural childbirth.

Hope this isn't too much in your business.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks in advance for your response. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
luvinlife225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: For The Mommies Who Went Natural

Post by laleepop14 on 30th June 2010, 5:40 pm

I wish you nothing but the best with your natural birth!! I had an unplanned c-section, so that wasnt an option for me. More power to you!!! And good luck!!!!
laleepop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 on 30th June 2010, 5:43 pm

Thanks!
luvinlife225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage on 30th June 2010, 6:21 pm

Congratulations. I had a natural birth with my son 16yrs ago. I had meds with my daughter (20 months). The best thing is to breathe and have some tennis balls in a sock for back labor.

My trigger point with my daughter was when they told me I had to go on Pitocin. Medicin induced contractions are very different from natural contractions. Those contractions required some meds. I didn't need Pitocin with my son.

Do what ever makes you happy? If in the end you decide to take meds..so what. It doesn't matter how they get out...as long as they get out!!!
Pinkrage

View user profile http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve on 30th June 2010, 7:08 pm

I planned to have my son with no meds but I had to be induced which means they used Pitocin. I was able to go without until I was about 6 centimeters. The pain really started kicking up then. I didnt want to miss my "window of opportunity" so I got an epidural. I dont regret it either. I had an awesome first time experience. I wonldn't change a thing because in the end all you want is a safe delivery and a healthy baby.

My Curl Street Journal

My Fotki

My Youtube Channel
Lynnieluve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bklynmama1 on 30th June 2010, 10:26 pm

I think one of the biggest mistakes women make is to have a very rigid birth plan. Babies are not predictable and arrive when they want to, how they want to. It's great that you want to go natural, but just keep in mind that the best laid plans can often go awry, especially when dealing with birth. I've had friends so set on doing it natural that they completely lost focus and fell apart once the plan had to deviate. Some are STILL disappointed that things didn't go as planned. Whether you go natural, use every drug available (by choice or not), or have a C-section (planned or not), the desired outcome is still the same, a healthy baby. Read your books, choice your focus item(s) (a picture, music etc), pick you coach, take your classes, learn the breathing techniques and stay flexible!

Congrats on the pregnancy!
bklynmama1

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 on 1st July 2010, 11:10 am

Hey Mommas! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thank you all for your responses. I'm glad to know I haven't gone completely crazy in my desire to have a natural child birth. I'll definitely remember the advice and well wishes. While I really want to make a go at this I'm definitely not going to be unreasonable or think I failed if I have to use meds or end up with a c-section because at the end of the day the only thing that matters is that I take home a healthy & happy baby.. I guess we'll see how this all unfolds in about 6 months or so.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
luvinlife225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NikG20 on 1st July 2010, 11:00 pm

With my daughter I got an epi and it was quite easy.

My son on the other hand...not so much (no epi). I was induced 1 month early with Pitocin and because Piotocin speeds up the process it was painful! Very painful. Contractions back to back nonstop. I agree with Pinkrage about breathing. I wish I would have practiced techniques but I never expected to be induced or not have an epidural so my breathing was all off. The contractions were the worst though. Instant relief as soon as the baby is out.

Congrats and Good Luck!
NikG20

View user profile http://www.beadsbraidsbeyond.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LoveleeMama on 5th July 2010, 3:31 pm

I wanted to have a natural birth but my water broke (1am) first then contractions slowly came later. So by the time I got to the hospital (12 hrs later) my doc immediately put me on Pitocin because the risk for infection increases after your water breaks and they want to have the baby out within 24 hrs. The pitocin was no joke and since I was strapped to a bed, monitor and IV, I opted for the epi. It helped so much because I could sleep through the contractions and by the time I woke up I was ready to push and out she came a few pushes later.
Be informed about your options for birth and discuss them with your provider. Im opting for a midwife next time (Im bias because im a nurse myself) since my doc wasnt even there for my birth.
Expect that things will not go according to anything you have in your mind ( but thats parenthood). Have your partner/support person go with you to classes. My hubby remembered all the breathing stuff and helped me focus. Good Luck and Congrats
LoveleeMama

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Worked for me

Post by kuumba60 on 6th July 2010, 8:48 pm

I wanted to respond because, although you've gotten some great advice, a lot has been from women who's "plans" went awry - as plans sometimes do. I had my first son 2 years ago completely natural with my husband and my doula by my side. It helped that I was in a hospital and had a doctor known and very accepting of natural births - some are a little too concerned with the clock. My labor was also fast for a first baby (5 1/2 hours total) which I attribute to a lot of walking throughout my pregnancy and especially the last 2 weeks, surrounding myself with awesome people, and luck Smile some things you just can't plan for.

I'm not going to say I had one of those 'orgasmic births' you may have read about - it was painful, but not a broken bone - something has gone wrong kind of painful. That said, all of the women in my family have given birth naturally - with and without back labor.

I'm actually 4 months pregnant right now and I'm hoping to have another natural birth. Educate yourself on all of your options, be ready to change the plan if necessary but make sure you're not being forced into something to convenience someone else.

~julia

Create. Adore. Share. Repeat.
kuumba60

View user profile http://www.simpletruths.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina on 6th July 2010, 10:58 pm

I had a successful natural home birth almost a year ago and wouldn't have had it any other way unless it was medically necessary. My contractions began around 4:45 am and our son was born at 11:07 am. According to my midwives it's almost unheard of for a first time mom to go from contractions to baby that quickly. One of the best books I read while pregnant was Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin. In it there are wonderful birth stories and great information about what mainstream doctors don't tell you, the possibility of having a successful VBAC, and other great bits of information. I read it once straight through and then as it got closer to my due date I went back and skimmed through the birth stories.

I labored in the water and as crazy as it might sound sitting on the toilet felt really good while I was in labor. Breathing through the contractions in addition to my hunny rubbing my lower back helped tremendously. Was it a pain-free experience, of course not but it wasn't unbearable pain either. I attribute part of that to the fact that I always had excruciating menstrual periods. HTH! Smile and Congrats on the precious bundle!
AfrikanLatina

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by kuumba60 on 7th July 2010, 1:58 am

AfrikanLatina
- I completely agree about Ina May Gaskin's book. It was wonderful. I think I read it in one sitting. Such wonderful birth stories. I've been thinking about doing a home birth this time around...
kuumba60

View user profile http://www.simpletruths.typepad.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 on 7th July 2010, 9:36 am

Thank you all so much for your experiences. Ina May Gaskin's book seems to be highly recommended in a lot of sites I go regarding natural childbirth so I'm going to pick it up. I'm definitely going keep in mind that not everything goes as planned, but I feel I can do this with proper knowledge and support.
luvinlife225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EbonyMajesty on 11th July 2010, 3:06 pm

Hi all, I'm very new to this site (as in I joined last night) and have been browsing around and came across this thread. Luvinlife225 bringing another life into this world is an empowering and beautiful thing. Do not be afraid no matter what.

I had a planned home birth last year and I would definitely do it again. I watched the film "The Business of Being Born" and that launched my extensive research into birthing options and the home birth was the best choice for me. I would highly recommend you look into reading about "Hypnobirthing" and "Hypnobabies" those two methods of pain management helped me a lot.

I pray blessings on you and your little one and I'm very happy to share any experiences or info if you'd like.

EbonyMajesty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog on 11th July 2010, 6:02 pm

Hmmm...come to think of it, I didn't plan anything at all really. I just knew I wanted a natural birth. My mom, him, and his mom were in the room (can you say uncomfortable?). My husband's mother tried to keep encouraging me to get something if I needed it, but I was okay. I had my son natural and for me it wasn't really like what I saw in the movies with the women screaming and what not. It was painful. But not like horror film painful. I did have complications afterward. But the birth was fine.

For my daughter though, I wanted to do it natural again, but I had to have pitocin because my water broke and the contractions weren't strong enough to push her out. I actually didn't experience any pain with the pitocin till about two ticks before they had reached the end of the pitocin scale (or whatever they call it-they could have only raised the level two more times because there weren't anymore levels to go). The doc kept coming in like, "We should have heard you screaming down the hall hours ago." The nurse would say, "Could you whimper or something?!" I just kept laughing like, "Is that all you got!" My husband who's always trying to be so macho was stupified! I was normally a sensitive person and when he saw that he was like, "You're a beast!" LOL! It was hilarious! Finally, the girl decided she wanted to come out and see everybody. That's when the pain started and, again, it was bad, but not horror movie bad.

Anyway, I cosign on the fact that you never know what's going to happen. Have a plan and switch it up if necessary. The fact of the matter is, (for most of us anyway) as soon as you see that baby's face, you forget all about the labor anyway. Very Happy

Now, preparing for after the labor is what you need to be asking about, lol. My son was like cake. He just wanted a friend to play Hot Wheels with. Maybe a little Super Mario Sunshine. But that girl? That girl is in EVERYTHING!! All day I look for some quiet and when it comes I have to jump up and see what she's into now! I tell you, that chile right there, she's the reason I got myself fixed. Wink

But I can't imagine life without her either. Smile

Have a happy healthy prego and delivery! I love you

nattyblog

View user profile http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by luvinlife225 on 13th July 2010, 10:17 am

Thanks Ebony and Natty!

Those stories are very encouraging. My friend had a baby last Friday and she told me to be very afraid, and I was!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] But I know it's going to be all good, regardless of how this child comes. Ebony, hearing about your kids put a smile on my face. I can't wait for mine to come!!

Ebony/AfrikanLatina, I'd love to have a homebirth actually, but I don't think my husband will be having any of that.
luvinlife225

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EbonyMajesty on 13th July 2010, 11:13 am

Research it as much as possible and share your findings with him. Get facts! There are also several options and I'm sure you both can find a nice compromise.

Fear has negative physiological effects on the birthing process which increases your pain/discomfort. In essence, when you're afraid signals are sent to the muscles that would be involved in the "flight, fight or freeze" response. Your uterine muscles are in never involved in fighting or Fleeing so they do the next best thing FREEZE. This can cause contractions to be awfully painful because one set of muscles have frozen while the other set continues to contract.

I refused to listen to anyone's horror stories during my pregnancy. I had to retrain myself into a different mind set - birth is not a disease, it's natural, I'm equipped to handle it and there is nothing to be afraid of. It helped to empower me during the birth itself.

EbonyMajesty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant on 16th July 2010, 12:19 am

I agree that you should have a back up plan if things do not go the way you planned. If you change your mind about no drugs or whatever, don't beat yourself up over it. I was going to tell you what happened when I wanted to go natural but it did not happen. Some people would think I was trying to scare you or something. I was the person that wanted to go natural but natural had another path!
DreamMerchant

View user profile http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Pregnant and 8 Months into Transitioning, HELP!

Post by cocoablaque on 16th September 2010, 10:59 am

OK, I recently found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant. Yay, me!

But, I also have a high concern about my hair! I've been transitioning since January 21st, 2010.. which makes me 9 months post! I am confused about big chopping before my delivery or after!! During my pregnancy I need my hair to require low-maintenance, as I will be trying to complete my first and second semesters before my baby is due (May 15th, 2011). PLEASE, help me!! What do I do?? I don't want to put all of my HARDWORK and MONEY down the drain now!

I'm currently box braided up, and SO ready to take them down (only after 3 weeks) and do a length check and Bunn it!

You guysssssssssssssssssss!! Help a sista out!!! Lol
cocoablaque

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down