CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies

5 posters

Go down

Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies  Empty Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies

Post by QueenB 27th June 2010, 7:34 pm

As a Petty Officer in the US Navy, the biggest hurdle Ive come across in my hair struggle has been styling. This has led me to fall back into the creamy crack lifestyle twice after BC'ing. But this time I am committed to keeping MY naturally beautiful hair!

The limits and restrictions the military puts on us leave no room for creativity... other that the TWA, bun, cornrows, and braids, all of which can be damaging after an extended period of time, and none of which show off the texture the hair. What styles have you found allow you to express yourself and show off the natural beauty of your hair?

Also, if you've faced and resistance or backlash from your command as a result of your hair choice I'd like to know. While weaves, wigs, and extensions have become accepted and commonplace in todays Armed Forces, sisters who choose to go natural are often met with hostility and condencension. I hope to put together a report that will change the regulations for servicewomen across the branches.
QueenB
QueenB

Back to top Go down

Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies  Empty Re: Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies

Post by KinkyCo 27th June 2010, 9:19 pm

QueenB,
I'm in the same situation. I'm in the Air Force so I will be watching this thread closely! Right now, I still have a TWA so styling is a no brainer for me. However, I have to purchase more ABU/Blues hats to accomodate my growing fro.

Taking my hat on/off throughout the day make me frizzy and it has been thinning my edges as well. Personally I plan to rely on shrinkage for as long as I can to maintain our 3inches in bulk regulation. I saw a Major who is natural and she rocks her medium length hair in about 10-15 fat twists all over her head.
KinkyCo
KinkyCo

Back to top Go down

Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies  Empty Re: Stylin' in the regs... Military Curlies

Post by Lanabell1219 1st July 2010, 2:38 am

bumping...
Lanabell1219
Lanabell1219

Back to top Go down

Post by soldiergrl 6th July 2010, 1:15 pm

Hey!! I feel your pain!! I'm in the army and lets just say the wear and tear on my shoulder length hair is crazy. But i have come to rely deeply on the faithful two strand twist(sometimes i set them on curlformers) and comb/finger coils (they look like a straw set). The shrinkage helps me keep it with in the regs. Then when the weekends come i unravel them for a bit. When it was shorter i could get away with the wash n go's but now it would be imposible. I get mixed reactions from my command but for the most part i get many compliments and questions. I figure as long as i stay within the regs I really don't care what they say or how they feel. This is what's best for me, after losing hair on two deployments i refuse to let it happen again, not for NOBODY!!!

soldiergrl

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 9th July 2010, 12:30 am

I remember when I was at my first duty station and I had my hair braided in simply braids. No weave or anything. My commander pulled me in and said that my hair style was "faddish". I told her that I had been wearing my hair like that since I was born. I actually showed her a picture with my hair in plaits when I was 5. In Japan, I did alot of buns. My edges paid the price for it and so did my ends. My hair really suffered when we had ORE's or ORI's de to the helmets and slapping that gas mask on and off. I just tried staying in the regs and off the radar! I would flat twist the front half and bun the loose hair.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by QueenB 12th July 2010, 8:47 am

Thanks for the feedback ladies!

Im currently unable to do my old standby, the wash n wear, for duty because it exceeds the 2 inch "bulk" rule the USN has.

Ive done some braid outs that seem to reduce the massiveness, but then I have to be careful about keeping it off my shoulders and staying out of the humidity (which in Jacksinville FL is easier said than done!)

I found the Goody's Spin Pins at my local Targe' and gave them a try... definitely need more practice on technique, but I can see them working out once I master them. They basically put your hair in a chignon without using any type of banding. See CN tags: spin pin.

A style I'm really rocking that hasnt cause an uproar (yet... knock on wood) is the Glamorous Natural Hair Updo on 5/30/2010 by SunShower143 under Styles section.

One I want to try is Elizabeths updo posted on the CN homepage on 7/05/2010... but the parting looks complicated!

OAN, I'm currently TAD to a training command where I am surrounded by many much junior sailors and I'm soo happy to have had several younger sisters approach me about my hair and express interest in transitioning. They werent even aware it was an option in uniform, and one poor baby relaxed her SL natural after she was instructed to "do something" by her recruiter!
QueenB
QueenB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down