CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURRENDERING TO THE BC!

+6
naturallydestined
Intelligentbeauty
MrsLambsWool
Ziggs
NylaCoils
loveself247
10 posters

Go down

SURRENDERING TO THE BC! Empty SURRENDERING TO THE BC!

Post by loveself247 13th November 2009, 2:13 pm

Ok my transitioning sista's, we all have our goal length in mind that we want to achieve before doing our BC Right? But what if we can't go that long? I remember seeing a tutorial on Youtube of a lady saying "When Do You Know It's Time To Do Your BC", but of course I could not find it (sorry).

I'm just wondering if delaying the BC could cause damage to your new growth. What do you guys think? Do you think our new growth can flourish better without having to compete with our relaxed/colored hair?
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

SURRENDERING TO THE BC! Empty Re: SURRENDERING TO THE BC!

Post by NylaCoils 13th November 2009, 3:35 pm

Loveself247...This is my 3rd time going natural. The first two times I transitioned for 8-12 mos. Those times I had shoulder length hair and didn't want to give it up. This last time - I had a Halle Berry Cut. It was easier to cut it since I didn't have much to lose. I didn't transition but 4 months. I can tell you this time, my hair is so much healthier cheers
NylaCoils
NylaCoils

http://coilyencounters.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 13th November 2009, 3:43 pm

@NylaCoils,,,yeah,,,I just want my hair to be healthy during this transition and definitely after my BC
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggs 13th November 2009, 8:15 pm

Loveself247, Hi! I've been transitioning since April '09. I'm actually enjoying the process of learning about my hair and how to care for it. I co-wash and deep condition weekly. I also make sure my hair is always protected when I sleep or have on hats. It is alot of work, but I'm enjoying it.

I'll maybe big chop sometime next year, I'm looking forward to being able to wear wash and go's for the summer. I think if you learn to love your hair and listen to it, it'll grow out healthy. So whenever you big chop or even if you don't you will end up with a healthy head of hair.

I'm just enjoying defining for myself what beautiful hair is.
Ziggs
Ziggs

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 13th November 2009, 8:33 pm

@Ziggs.....thank you so much....It is a process. My only thing is trying to find ways to wear my hair with very little up keep. I start back school in January which is gonna be a very HARD semester for me. I don't wanna be spending more time on my hair than in the books. But I still want to look presentable too.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 13th November 2009, 9:08 pm

Loveself, I totally feel you! I work 40 hours a week and go to school at night taking 6 classes!(Yes, I know that's insane) I also am newly married and have 2 kids. Right now, hair is the last thing on my mind. As soon as the summer breaks, I am cutting this relaxed mess off of my head and will rock my TWA and wash and go's all summer long.
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 13th November 2009, 10:06 pm

@MrslambsWool....wow..your a trooper...if you can go to school taking 6 classes while also being a full time mom and wife....I commend you on that. I guess I need to shut up my complaining about my upcoming three classes...lol. I just wish I could find a style to wear that didn't require a lot of work. In a minute I will be pulling the curly and stingy mess back in a pony tail and saying to hell with it.
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggs 14th November 2009, 3:33 pm

Loveself247...I know what you mean about wanting to look presentable. I'm not working now, but at my last job when I was totally natural, my manager kept asking me when are you going to relax your hair? Ouch! that hurt. I ended up getting a texrelaxer - - big mistake, my hair did not like it. That's why I'm transisitioning again.

Lesson learned - Thank God for websites like CN.com. Now I can find styles for natural hair that I can do now.

-Two-stand twist - I pull my twists back with a scrunchie and wrap a scarf around the end to make a bun
-I wear a half wig with a head band when I need to look dressy
-Twist and Curls - I'll keep my hair in twist all week and wear a Twist and curl all weekend.
-I'm going to Hawaii next week so I'm getting braids, I'll leave them in for a month, I like to play with my hair so I can't do longer than that! HTH!
Ziggs
Ziggs

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 16th November 2009, 9:13 am

Loveself247... I am in the same frame as mind as you right now. I feel I have done it all to my hair in this transition state. It is getting tiring, boring, and time consuming just to find out later when I finally do BC that I will have to re-learn all over again and the products may change. Also whether I am doing more harm then good, is another question in the back of my mind.

I am an 8 month transitioner. I have never had short hair in my entire life. So I am trying to wait at least 4 more months before BC. Hoping to have a puff tail by then, at least. But I am starting to really rethink even that. Who wants to wait so long then in the end have to cut off more natural hair because it's damaged!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by loveself247 16th November 2009, 8:34 pm

@Intelligentbeauty...I totally understand where you are coming from. I have been transitioning for 3 months now and I am so anxious to wear my natural hair but I cannot rock a twa. I am trying to wait until September next year to do my big chop. In the meantime I continue to wash my hair once a week, do deep conditioning treatments once a week, I avoid heat and I keep my scalp oiled and my hair moisturized. That way I lessen my chances of acquiring damaged hair
loveself247
loveself247

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th November 2009, 12:49 am

But I don't think you will know if you have damage until you cut off the permed part, right? I mean, how do you really know. I have had breakage, especially in the beginning when I was trying to figure things out. Not so much now. But how do I know if I have damaged my natural hair. The fallen hair looks like perm but....do you know what I mean?
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 17th November 2009, 12:55 am

loveself247, I can soooo picture you with a twa! I think it would look really cute on you. However, we are headed into the winter, which is my main reason for not going ahead with the BC. Like intelligent beauty, I don't want to damage any of my new growth and have to cut that too.
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 17th November 2009, 12:59 am

I totally agree with MrsLambsWool. I can totally see you in a TWA as well. You would look cute.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 17th November 2009, 6:36 am

I have been transitioning for two months so far and planning two more months before my BC. My hair is short at the moment anyway so it won't be a total shocker for me. I attempted to go natural a year ago but skimped out and started to texturize and later perm my hair. However, this time, I actually put forth an effort and completed some needed research before coming to the decision once more. Oh what a difference a little knowledge can make. I'm totally ready for healthier hair. :-)
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by snappynappy 18th November 2009, 1:51 pm

It just happened. I was in the bathroom at the sink one night (2 am) and my roommate walked by. I just told her to grab a chair and chop it off. She was like , " [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Are you sure?".
snappynappy
snappynappy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsLambsWool 18th November 2009, 2:14 pm

@ naturallydestined, I got my hair cut short right with my last relaxer so, i've had to wear half wigs while transitioning, how are you wearing your hair?
MrsLambsWool
MrsLambsWool

Back to top Go down

Post by naturallydestined 18th November 2009, 10:24 pm

@MrsLambsWool, It's funny that you asked that question because I just purchased a wig today. LOL! I've been reading some transitioning comments here in order to get a few ideas about how to style my hair at this point. My hair is already short since I wore a relaxed Rhianna type of cut. I have about an inch of new growth so it looks [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . Hopefully, the wig will help with some protection from this weather. 50 degrees here during the day. (30-40 at night). That's cold for the south. LOL!

If anyone has even more ideas, I'd love them.
naturallydestined
naturallydestined

http://members.fotki.com/NaturallyDestined/about/

Back to top Go down

Post by miznissi 22nd November 2009, 2:37 am

For me, I BCed almost 2 weeks ago. I didn't necessarily have a set length in mind although I didn't want it too short. I transitioned for a year and a half. I just recently started researching about my hair more. I had cut of the back of my relaxed in 2 months prior to see what they'd look like. I saw my friend on FB with a puff pony and just felt that I was tired of the relaxed ends, went to mom's house and told her to cut it.

It was the best thing ever. And it just hit me. I just knew it was time.
miznissi
miznissi

https://www.youtube.com/user/miznissi

Back to top Go down

Post by Intelligentbeauty 22nd November 2009, 3:22 am

wow Thanks for sharing miznissi. So in your pic, is that all your natural hair?
I have 4 months to go until I am 1 year transitioned and ready for my BC (hopefully). But I was getting so frustrated so I cut off about 3 inches last night and did a rod set. I think I can go 4 more months now.
Intelligentbeauty
Intelligentbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Belizeanbeauty 23rd November 2009, 9:15 pm

Hey everyone, I totally agree that transitioning can be rough, but staying focused really helps to keep keep you on track to you goal. I had my last relaxer March 17th 2007 and I am still transitioning...yep that makes it 32 months that ive been growing out my relaxer. When I first started transitioning I initially wanted to grow out my hair for 2 years until my natural hair touched my shoulders. However I have been able to maintain my healthy hair and over these 32 months I have gone from BSL relaxed hair to hair that is about 3 inches past my waist that is mostly natural (in the nape my new growth touches) BSL. Once I met one goal I realized I could just keep going and created new ones.

I have always had long, thick hair so BCing was never an option for me. My new goal is to transition for at least 3 years (4 more months until I reach that goal) then I would like to continue trimming my hair until it is fully natural. It is completely possible to be a long term trainsitioner and maintain healthy natural growth as well as relaxed ends.

I do have to admit it though, everytime I wash my hair I get the urge to start snipping and surrender to the BC (or little chop in my case) lol.
Belizeanbeauty
Belizeanbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by natty2b 23rd November 2009, 9:23 pm

wow Belizeanbeauty that is a long time

i'm currently on my thirteen month and i thin about cutting my hair everyday.
natty2b
natty2b

Back to top Go down

Post by Belizeanbeauty 23rd November 2009, 10:08 pm

natty2b wrote:wow Belizeanbeauty that is a long time

i'm currently on my thirteen month and i thin about cutting my hair everyday.

13 months is great! If you want to go longer just try to remember your goals, however sometimes you just have to go with your gut and do what feels best. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Belizeanbeauty
Belizeanbeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum