Is uneven hair ok?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Is uneven hair ok?

Post by HappyCurly on 24th June 2010, 7:37 pm

Hi all:

I need some opinions. Will it be ok if my hair looks uneven, if at least the right and left sides match each other? Or will it look all kinds of 'oh no no!' ?

I used to have long relaxed hair, like it went down my back. Then I grew out my natural hair. I cut off most of the relaxed hair already, but I have an inch left in some places. I have just half an inch in other places. In terms of natural hair growth, I have three inches of natural hair in some places, four inches in other places. It is growing slowly in the front edges.

Now I think it is time to cut the rest of the relaxed ends off. I'm not sure if it is time or not, but I think I don't know how to style short hair that is two textures. No more buns or curly pony tails! The roller set I did took way too long. Twists look a bit fuzzy with relaxed hair. The relaxed hair is tangling up and I'm hoping that once it is all one texture, it will be ok. Then I can at least wear a low maintanence puff , with it in a head band, and call it a day. (Is this so?)

So, I am wondering if the hair needs to be even all over to look good. Can I wear it in an afro with it being different lengths? I will need to go a salon if it needs to be even to have a pretty afro.

But I don't think it needs to be even. I think it's ok if I literally cut it myself, and just cut off the relaxed part. That leaves just the natural part , at its different lengths. I figure that since it grows at different rates, there is no point in me evening it off, since it will become uneven again. I don't want to lose any of its length, as I've never had short hair.

I've never really paid much attention to hair before this natural journey, so I literally don't know what will look ok or not. I don't want to rock a look and be the only one thinking it is ok!

Do any of you all have hair that is like an inch shorter in the front?

I'm also nervous to cut b/c I think 'what will I do with it?' What styles can i do with three and four inches of hair? A braid out would take too long and be too many braids. I'm excited too, excited to see if i have scab hair or if this feathery part curls up over time.

Thanks for the ideas!

HappyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Is uneven hair ok?

Post by wyldhoney on 24th June 2010, 8:00 pm

Hey happy curly,

I say trim it yourself and you can always go to a salon later if it really bugs you.

The front of my hair is about 2 ins shorter than the back, and that's how its been my whole life. It doesn't really show because I have so much shrinkage it all looks the same length. When stretched, my hair is naturally layered.

See how your hair behaves when you cut the relaxed ends off, take great care of it, and I'm sure you'll love it, uneven or not.

wyldhoney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz on 24th June 2010, 8:07 pm

I don't think mine is even, at least it doesn't look even because one side of my head has tighter curls than the other (LOL). So I don't think it matters. It probably won't be noticeable with most of the styles you're going to wear anyway.

and I agree with wyldhoney, you can always go to a pro and get it shaped if it's that bad (or that annoying to you ~lol~). Smile

Muz

View user profile http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 on 24th June 2010, 8:12 pm

wyldhoney wrote:Hey happy curly,

I say trim it yourself and you can always go to a salon later if it really bugs you.

The front of my hair is about 2 ins shorter than the back, and that's how its been my whole life. It doesn't really show because I have so much shrinkage it all looks the same length. When stretched, my hair is naturally layered.

See how your hair behaves when you cut the relaxed ends off, take great care of it, and I'm sure you'll love it, uneven or not.

I totally agree!!! I did mine about a month ago and. I have been okay. My hair grows unevenly also and with my shrinkage it makes it easier to fluff out one side and sort of shape my puffs with my hands or a pick. With shrinkage u can't even tell its uneven!! I do have a decent amount of length. Also I just cut some more pieces to get rid of more straight ends. What I'm gonna do is wait til I get some more length then straighten it and then cut it in layers or even, but that is no time soon and maybe I wont cause I'm loving my natural me anyway...

laleepop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by laleepop14 on 24th June 2010, 8:16 pm

Muz wrote: I don't think mine is even, at least it doesn't look even because one side of my head has tighter curls than the other (LOL). So I don't think it matters. It probably won't be noticeable with most of the styles you're going to wear anyway.

and I agree with wyldhoney, you can always go to a pro and get it shaped if it's that bad (or that annoying to you ~lol~). Smile

Hey Muz, how is your hair styled in your avatar? Very cute!!! I know sorry I got off subject! !

laleepop14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly on 24th June 2010, 8:57 pm

thanks for the affirmation everyone!!!

i agree, muz that is a gorgeous hair pic.

HappyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyV69 on 25th June 2010, 10:42 am

I wouldn't worry about how even your hair is or if its all one length, because when wearing certain styles, the uneveness isn't very noticeable. In my case, the back of my hair is about 2 1/2 inches longer than the front, but when I rock a fro, it isn't noticeable because of the shrinkage. When I rock semi-stretched styles like twistouts, it just looks layered. A concern is that if you get your hair shaped and get it all one length, if different parts of your hair grow at different rates, it'll be uneven again. That's why I haven't bothered to shape up my hair. Whatever you do, I'm sure it'll look fine.

LadyV69

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Muz on 25th June 2010, 12:08 pm

laleepop14 wrote:
Hey Muz, how is your hair styled in your avatar? Very cute!!! I know sorry I got off subject! !

Thanks it's just a twist-out with medium twists Smile

Muz

View user profile http://muzikalhairjournal.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pdarden on 25th June 2010, 4:00 pm

mine is the same way.... much longer on top than it is in the back... i'm ok with it though and i'm not trying to even it out... when the curls eventually grow 'out' and begin to hang, i figure it will just have a layered effect.

pdarden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly on 26th June 2010, 10:42 pm

thanks everyone; i love the word 'layered'....my hair isn't uneven; it's layered. i cut some today and will cut some more tomorrow. who knew a bc would take a long time!!

HappyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Styling on 28th June 2010, 10:26 pm

If you do choose to cut your own hair then have a separate pair of scissors for your hair or you will really need to go to a stylist. For me, I have a stylist do mine. I would rather pay and no it is even or close to it because curly hair is not easy to cut. Plus I have a loose curl and you can see a jacked up cut on my hair. (LOL)

Styling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly on 29th June 2010, 12:20 pm

i wish i could go to a stylist, but there just aren't any near me that i know of who know how to cut natural hair. i want a stylist who would go clump of curl by clump of curl, very slowly, so each strand in one clump is even with the others in that clump. i read online that that is the best way to avoid frizzies, adn it is how i cut the front, and it seems ok. i didn't do the back yet , i will let it grow out some more first. grow hair grow!!

HappyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HappyCurly on 29th June 2010, 12:21 pm

LOL to the loose curl; my curls are so tight that it's hard to tell when i cut it. thanks for the tips!

HappyCurly

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Blow Dry Cut

Post by Styling on 29th June 2010, 8:50 pm

I have a few friends that will blow dry their hair as straight as they can and then trim it. They says they can see the ends that need to be cut better. If you try it that way let me no how it works out for you. Their hair always looks good and it seems to be growing nicely. Smile Good Luck.

Styling

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top