CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MsLys09 - I did the BC! : )

+7
swoodward
AshElleAye
Nikcoils
krazy coils
newcurlieque
CrissyQ
mslys09
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Empty MsLys09 - I did the BC! : )

Post by mslys09 23rd June 2010, 6:13 pm

Hi, All!: )

So I did my BC on June 15, 2010. Pic's in my avatar. Once I figure out how to put them into the posts, I will add more. I have been a roller coaster of emotions over the past week and a close friend suggested I blog about my experience. I think this will be really therapeutic so here goes! MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) 617583

My hair story:
I have been relaxed since I was a little girl. I think I might have started getting relaxers around kindergarten. After the relaxer, my hair would be braided up tight for two weeks at a time. My hair grew down my back and I was at BSL in high school. I was always complimented for having such "long, thick and pretty" hair. In high school, I began getting Dominican blowouts. My hair was seemingly healthy. I moved to the self-proclaimed hair capital of the world for college and went crazy with the heat because I liked the "silky press" look. I continued with the same damaging practices for a year after college ended. Those 5 years, plus the two years of Dominican blowouts, color and too-strong relaxers killed my hair. It was breaking and damaged.

My transition: I transitioned inadvertently. I was experimenting with a sew-in. When I took it out, my stylist convinced me not to get another relaxer. Different stylists had been suggesting I go natural for about a year but I was skeptical. After seeing Good Hair (lol) that skepticism DIED and I decided I'd be relaxer free! I transitioned for 11.5 months through another sew in and curly styles. My favorite was the bantu-knot out. I loved it! I am glad I was a long-term transitioner because I really got a feel for what my hair did and didn't like. (I am a reforming PJ MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Icon_lol) I did my BC myself last Tuesday and went to a salon to have the rest of the relaxed ends removed.

Honesty: I cried all the way home when I left the salon. I was shocked. I thought I looked like a man (lol that's ridiculous in hindsight!) I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. I loved the texture and not the length and I didn't feel as attractive without long hair. My stylist used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding and alllll my length shrank up. Whew! LOL I wasn't ready! I was convinced that I was going to put a sew-in in immediately. I decided to wait and just get past the initial shock. It's been a week and it is really starting to grow on me. I use the Kinky Curly line and have gotten great results.

Revelation of the Week: Hair does not make you attractive. Confidence does. My friend told me that I have really started owning my hair. And I really feel like I have been doing just that! I went to dinner on Monday and a friend told me she loved my hair. She was natural too but had been wearing hers in weaves and straight since she BC'd. She said her curls were loose and she'd rather they be tight like mine. I thought it was really interesting. The grass is not always greener. Lesson learned and point taken. Love what you've got!

I am excited for my natural hair journey and I look forward to sharing it with you all!

Last edited by mslys09 on 6th September 2010, 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Empty Re: MsLys09 - I did the BC! : )

Post by CrissyQ 23rd June 2010, 6:18 pm

AHHH i am the first to bless your journal. Great story and i look forward to following your progress. Welcome
CrissyQ
CrissyQ

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 24th June 2010, 12:19 pm

Thanks, Crissy!
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 24th June 2010, 12:24 pm

It's been 9 days since my BC and my hair has definitely grown on me. I have been looking at CurlsGalore's Fotki and I realize I have enough length for a twist out! I am going to start experimenting this weekend : ). My Bee Mine Curly Butter should do the trick. I need some tips as far as how to do them. I tried last week and they were big and uneven lol.
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 24th June 2010, 2:44 pm

Conrgats on your BC!!! Very Happy
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 24th June 2010, 3:14 pm

Welcome to Curlstreet! I loved the revelation that hair does not make you attractive. It is definitely confidence. I look forward to reading your journal.
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by newcurlieque 24th June 2010, 3:20 pm

krazy coils wrote:Welcome to Curlstreet! I loved the revelation that hair does not make you attractive. It is definitely confidence. I look forward to reading your journal.

Your avi is awesome!
newcurlieque
newcurlieque

Back to top Go down

Post by Nikcoils 24th June 2010, 3:23 pm

Welcome to curl street!

Lynnieluv and bholmes do some great twists also I am sure they will be able to help with techniques and suggestions.
Nikcoils
Nikcoils

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 24th June 2010, 3:48 pm

krazy coils wrote:Welcome to Curlstreet! I loved the revelation that hair does not make you attractive. It is definitely confidence. I look forward to reading your journal.

Thanks! I was looking through your fotki... awesome hair!
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 24th June 2010, 3:49 pm

newcurlieque wrote:

Your avi is awesome!

Thanks so much! : )
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 24th June 2010, 3:51 pm

npmoore04 wrote:Welcome to curl street!

Lynnieluv and bholmes do some great twists also I am sure they will be able to help with techniques and suggestions.

Thanks! Great... I have some new curl street journals to stalk MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Icon_lol lol I love this!
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 25th June 2010, 3:17 pm

Ok... I am going to try CN's Henna Gloss Recipe tonight and then twists for a twist out. I like WnG's but I don't like manipulating my hair so often.

I've already mixed the henna gloss mixture up and I am going to let it sit for a while. I didn't find Jamila Henna so I used some that I got at Whole Foods (all about experimentation lol) and Nature's Gate conditioner. I'll post pictures tomorrow!
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by AshElleAye 25th June 2010, 3:20 pm

Congrats!! dance

You look great. I was afraid of chopping mine initially because of the boy thing too so I can totally identify. It's true, confidence makes the difference. I see my hair as a cool new accessory.
AshElleAye
AshElleAye

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 27th June 2010, 12:09 pm

congrats!!!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 27th June 2010, 12:13 pm

Your hair is beautiful!! And you are so right about your condifence and what makes you attractive! Good for you for realizing that. It's an exciting journedy that you are on and I'm positve you'll find styles and products that work for you.

Welcome to Curl Street!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 6th July 2010, 11:30 pm

@AshElleAye Thanks! It's been about three weeks (today actually) and that's how I see it now, too!
@swoodward - Thanks!
@WhosThatRedHead - Thanks! : )
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 7th July 2010, 12:20 am

Ok... I've been gone for a while but I'm back now! The past week and a half has been experiment city with my hair. I've got updates! MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Icon_lol

I did my first twist out, which turned out really well! I think next time I do it I won't fluff. Maybe it'll last longer. I got about 4 days out of this one and I only had to retwist once.

Day 1 of Twist Out
MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Bc_00710

I also tried out a protective style using the twists. I loved it! It was great to work out in and was worry free. My brother even commented that this has been the first style he's loved since my transition (lol, you have to love the honesty of family). I made sure to keep my twists moisturized with a homemade moisturizer (suave tropicals coconut conditioner, EVOO, EVCO, jojoba oil, castor oil and rosewater and glycerin). My hair loves it!

MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Bc_01010

Oh! I also tried my first henna gloss, too! It was messy but I really liked the result. I did it right before my first twist out and I think that may have contributed to how great it turned out. I do think it slightly straigtened some of my hair in the front but from my understanding it's only temporary. It also took me several rinses to get all of the henna out.

Hair Before Henna Gloss Hair After
MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Bc_00110MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Bc_00510

Right now, my hair is in a protective style (full sew-in) for the rest of the summer. That's the plan anyway... I am already missing my hair, though. I like the hair thus far (it's curly so I don't have to straighten my own hair.) I just have to do a twist out on the little hair I have left out to blend. I prepped by washing, doing the aphogee two step treatment and following up with a very moisturizing DC with HH Hello Hydration, EVOO, EVCO, jojoba oil, castor oil and honey. I rinsed and used Cantu leave in. That's not my fave anymore but I needed something heavier than my Oyin Handmade Honey Hemp conditioner that I usually use as a leave in. I will be moisturizing the HECK out of my hair underneath... the goal is to protect MY hair.

MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Bc_01110

Annnd I saved the best for last... ::drumroll:: My stylist blowdried my hair to braid it for the sew-in and was able to put it in a PONYTAIL!!!! MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) 678474 My 'fro is growing! lol ::happy sigh::
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by swoodward 7th July 2010, 11:08 pm

really clever and very cute!!! You look beautiful!
swoodward
swoodward

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 7th July 2010, 11:19 pm

great update! I love the twist out
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by MellowOne 8th July 2010, 9:34 am

Congrats on your bc and great story.
MellowOne
MellowOne

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 8th July 2010, 2:20 pm

sweetdrk1 wrote:great update! I love the twist out

Thanks!
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 8th July 2010, 2:21 pm

MellowOne wrote:Congrats on your bc and great story.

Thank you!
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by mslys09 8th July 2010, 2:28 pm

Whew... ok. It's only been 3 days and I miss my hair already! I'm trying to make this stretch till the end of August! I do think the sew-in is helping with my hand-in-hair syndrome, though lol...
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 8th July 2010, 2:36 pm

I am late but I look forward to following your journal. Welcome!

Cute twist out!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Empty MsLys09 - Help!!! I think I have damage!!!

Post by mslys09 17th July 2010, 12:38 am

Hi, Everyone

I had a sew-in put in last week. The braids were pulling my hair so tight that I took it out after a week. They really hurt at the crown, which I repeatedly mentioned to the stylist. The crown was where all of my braids came together so there was a LOT of tension. When I took the weave and braids down on Monday, I co-washed, banded and did a dry twist out and didn't notice anything wrong with my hair. I washed it today, deep conditioned and detangled while the conditioner was still in my hair. As I was detangling, I noticed that the hair at my crown was really fragile. My scalp has been a bit tender in that section, too. This is where my hair has the tightest curl, also. (I don't think that's relevant... just setting the scene). I stopped detangling with the denman and used my fingers. Sooo much hair came out. More than the rest of my head. This is the first time that I have detangled properly since my BC a month ago so I assumed it was all shed hair. (I didn't know how until I watched kimmaytube's method on youtube). I am two-strand twisting it right now and EVERYTIME I touch hair in that same section, it continues to come out! Some of it is shed hair and some of it is broken. I can even tell by looking at my twists. The twists in that area are really rough looking and have long pieces hanging down at the ends of the twists. I swear, as I sit here typing, curly shed pieces are falling out on my shoulders. I don't know how to rectify this. I need help getting my hair back to normal! MsLys09 - I did the BC! : ) Icon_pale
mslys09
mslys09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum