CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair??

+13
HAMPTONSFNST
jcanalena79
Pinkrage
Myeka33
moonchild
ShontaeB
ChrsLvsBks
Lynnieluve
BajanPrincess82
curlybarbi48
vovowiththafro
LearninToLove
curlista
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair?? Empty Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair??

Post by curlista 22nd June 2010, 7:16 pm

What have your experiences been?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair?? Empty Re: Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair??

Post by LearninToLove 22nd June 2010, 7:31 pm

I haven't tried dry, but the wet ones I LOVE! They're beautiful looking with all that moisture in it. I think it helps with definition.
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair?? Empty Re: Bantu knot-out...better on dry or wet hair??

Post by vovowiththafro 22nd June 2010, 7:38 pm

I have done both wet and dry and I think that I prefer wet bantu knot outs. When wet my curls were more defined. Dry bantu knot outs tend to be frizzy.
vovowiththafro
vovowiththafro

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 22nd June 2010, 10:02 pm

I haven't done any yet. I don't think I have the patience, or maybe my hair isn't long enough yet. I also don't think I would feel comfortable wearing them outside of my home.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 23rd June 2010, 12:30 am

@curlybarbi48 I agree, I don't have a lot of patience when it comes to styling my hair which is why I start at night and finish in the morning sometimes (I style on weekends so I don't go out looking a mess lol). If I do the bantu knots I don't plan on wearing them out...just not for me, i'd undo them the next day
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 23rd June 2010, 12:33 am

@Learnintolove @vovowiththafro Are there specific types of products you use when doing them? I would think richer products would be better to hold moisture in the hair, like butters or creams.
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by BajanPrincess82 23rd June 2010, 1:17 am

I think doing them on damp hair is best. My hair takes way too long to dry on its own, and in bantu knots it took forever. When I went to take them out the next morning (after having them in all day) they still weren't dry and it just looked like a frizzy mess.
BajanPrincess82
BajanPrincess82

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 23rd June 2010, 10:12 am

I recently did bantu knots on dry hair using water and Shea Moisture Hair Milk. The results were ok. Next time I will do them on wet hair, using my shea butter mix and eco custard. I will also two strand twist my hair before I do the knots.

I wore my bantu knots for about 3 days and yes I wore them out. I got few crazy looks but I didnt care. LOL!!

Bantu knots

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bantu knot out - my ends were frizzy/fuzzy [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 23rd June 2010, 11:03 am

I have only done a dry bantu knot out. I wore my hair in buns for a couple of days then set my hair with Koils by Nature butter and gel. I did spritz my hair a little bit with water. My results can be seen here in my November album and here.
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by curlista 23rd June 2010, 1:48 pm

@BajanPrincess82 I think damp maybe my best option because like your hair mine takes FOREVER to fully dry so I know in knots it would take days. Thanks for the advice!

@LynnieLuve @ChrsLvsBks What kind of product consistency would you recommend? Something thick, liquidy, gel-like?
curlista
curlista

Back to top Go down

Post by ShontaeB 23rd June 2010, 3:09 pm

Ive never worn bantu knots myself but I put them in my oldest daughter's hair.
I always do them wet. They seem to last longer, are less frizzy, and when I take
them out, her curls hold longer.
ShontaeB
ShontaeB

http://www.element51.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by moonchild 23rd June 2010, 3:26 pm

I do mine on dry hair, with a little KC Knot Today mixed with aloe vera gel (I recently used the shea moisture hair milk and was a bit heavy handed). When I do it with wet hair, the curls are way too tight (I like big loose curls). They do loosen up after a day or too.

In order to eliminate frizz, I unravel them in the way I twisted them (rather than pulling them apart) and then I scrunch my hair with my hands to fill in any spots. As the day goes on, they come undone a bit more and voila! Pretty (mainly) frizz free curls. Keep in mind, I've embraced the frizz, so others my think I look crazy...

moonchild

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrsLvsBks 24th June 2010, 1:12 pm

curlista wrote:@BajanPrincess82 I think damp maybe my best option because like your hair mine takes FOREVER to fully dry so I know in knots it would take days. Thanks for the advice!

@LynnieLuve @ChrsLvsBks What kind of product consistency would you recommend? Something thick, liquidy, gel-like?
I use light butter-based products then a gel (to help with hold).
ChrsLvsBks
ChrsLvsBks

http://myhairmyway.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vovowiththafro 24th June 2010, 10:03 pm

I used ORS twist and loc gel and shea butter.
vovowiththafro
vovowiththafro

Back to top Go down

Post by Myeka33 29th June 2010, 3:02 pm

i say wet or damp hair is best for bantu knots ( i call them chiney bumps tho) thats a style that never fails me when it comes to giving definition
Myeka33
Myeka33

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 29th June 2010, 3:46 pm

When i did a lot of bantu knots the curls were tight. I like looser curls. I have found that only putting in 7 knots works for me. Here is a link to my photo.

http://public.fotki.com/pinkrage/bantu-knot-out-bko/7-knots-1.html

I did them on damp hair.
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

http://www.fotki.com/pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 29th June 2010, 11:59 pm

Dry hair (that ends up damp after moisturizer/styler is added) with a very light styler (Oyin Shine and Define) has given me my best results. I, too, like looser curls/waves.

Results on medium-length hair

Results on short hair
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 30th June 2010, 5:37 pm

@Jcanalena- Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! LOVE IT!
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by HAMPTONSFNST 1st July 2010, 11:44 am

@Lynnie: That's exactly how my knotouts have been looking lately. I usually do them on dry hair because if wet, it takes too long to dry. Tuesday night I misted each section with a detangling spray, detangling with fine tooth comb and Denman brush if necessary and shingled with my Eco custard and sealed with unrefined shea butter. I was very disappointed to see that some some hair expecially my sides(coarsest) were frizzy. And I always unravel them with a lil bit of CD's Healthy Hair Butter but the ends look more like a cotton ball.
HAMPTONSFNST
HAMPTONSFNST

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 1st July 2010, 12:08 pm

Pinkrage wrote:@Jcanalena- Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! LOVE IT!

thx lady! it's my fave style right now - love the fullness and softness of a dry BKO!!
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by Pinkrage 1st July 2010, 2:47 pm

How many knots do you put in?
Pinkrage
Pinkrage

Back to top Go down

Post by HisBeauty 1st July 2010, 3:18 pm

...and how are you styling jcanalena? are you just separating? mine look absolutely crazy!
HisBeauty
HisBeauty

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 1st July 2010, 3:22 pm

Pinkrage wrote:How many knots do you put in?

Maximum 8. 6, when it was longer.
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by jcanalena79 1st July 2010, 3:26 pm

HisBeauty wrote:...and how are you styling jcanalena? are you just separating? mine look absolutely crazy!

Yeah ... just separating and then moving pieces to cover the parts and fluffing the roots a bit. To be honest, by the end of the day when it's bigger and more "picked through" , is when it looks best (based on how I like to wear it) --- see avi.
jcanalena79
jcanalena79

Back to top Go down

Post by tiashaunteé 1st July 2010, 3:38 pm

I like to do my BKO on dry hair that is lightly misted with water. This helps it dry quickly but still have definition.
tiashaunteé
tiashaunteé

http://tiashauntee.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next