CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a big sister

4 posters

Go down

Looking for a big sister Empty Looking for a big sister

Post by divacpa 21st June 2010, 5:26 pm

Hi everyone, I had my last relaxer February 5, 2010 and attempted to transition using braids. However with the hot weather in Memphis (100+ index daily) I felt like it was too hot to be dealing with hair and decided to BC this past Saturday! I am a very low maintenance person but want to make sure I learn about all the do's and don'ts. I am currently rocking a twa and using giovanni-smooth as silk conditioner, curls-quenched curls moisterizer for a leave-in, and curls-curl souffle for styling. I run daily and plan to co-wash at least 3 times a week. Please provide any tips for a newbie. Thanks!
divacpa
divacpa

http://fitfocuseddiva.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Looking for a big sister Empty Re: Looking for a big sister

Post by curlybarbi48 21st June 2010, 5:48 pm

divacpa wrote:Hi everyone, I had my last relaxer February 5, 2010 and attempted to transition using braids. However with the hot weather in Memphis (100+ index daily) I felt like it was too hot to be dealing with hair and decided to BC this past Saturday! I am a very low maintenance person but want to make sure I learn about all the do's and don'ts. I am currently rocking a twa and using giovanni-smooth as silk conditioner, curls-quenched curls moisterizer for a leave-in, and curls-curl souffle for styling. I run daily and plan to co-wash at least 3 times a week. Please provide any tips for a newbie. Thanks!

Hi Divacpa,

I'm here in Memphis, also. I will be your big sister! I'll have to come back and post (I'm about to eat some pizza). [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Be back shortly!
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Location : I'm from Columbia, SC, but currently reside in Bartlett, TN

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 21st June 2010, 8:52 pm

Okay DivaCPA,

First, congrats on your BC and cute picture!! I know it was a hard decision, but I'll bet it was liberating, especially in this Hell, I meant Memphis heat! Anyway, here are some of the things I did:

First, water is your best friend. After my BC, I cowashed my hair every day (just because I could) because I run/walk every day as well. The day after my BC, I probably cowashed about 5 times because I was trying different products out. LOL.

The first thing I would do is buy a cheaper conditioner to cowash with and save your Giovanni for the weekend when you are planning to do a deep conditioner. I would suggest Aussie Moist Conditioner. It's pretty inexpensive and very moisturizing.

I'm not sure what type of hair you have, I have 3c,4a, and 4b. When my hair was your length, I used Ion Curling Solutions Curl Defining Creme. It was also inexpensive, and a little went a long way. I would then seal with EVCO or whatever oil your hair likes. Remember that it's going to take a few weeks to get the moisture balance and your curl pattern, so don't get frustrated.

Oh, I also made a water mix of 80% water, and 19% vegetable glycerin oil (found it at Whole Foods), a couple drops of different essential oils (rosemary, jojoba, and ylang ylang) (bought at GNC). The essential oils aren't necessary, so you don't really have to have them. Plus, they can be a bit pricey. Anyway, I spritz my hair every night before going to bed, and in the morning before applying my products.

I also used Organikah Whipped Hair butter (also at Whole Foods), but it is pricey, too. I put it on my hair before I applied any curling agents to keep it from being crunchy. I hate crunchy hair!

I wear a satin bonnet to bed, and I also have a satin pillow case.

Another thing I did was I watched (as still watch) a lot of YouTube videos. That's really what helped me learn to manage my hair. I didn't know about CN until a few months ago. Make sure you check out all of the questions and answers on here because you can learn a lot from this site as well.

I'm a product junky, so I won't tell you to not become one. I actually had to put myself on a product moratorium for a month because I couldn't go a few days without buying something.

Take lots of pics of your hair so that you can see the growth progress. It's really fun, but as your hair grows, the regimen may get a little more time consuming, so be prepared.

Well, Little Sis, that's all for now. If you have any questions that I didn't answer, post here and I will get back to you. I'm on her practically all day every day.

TTYL
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st June 2010, 8:58 pm

divacpa wrote:Hi everyone, I had my last relaxer February 5, 2010 and attempted to transition using braids. However with the hot weather in Memphis (100+ index daily) I felt like it was too hot to be dealing with hair and decided to BC this past Saturday! I am a very low maintenance person but want to make sure I learn about all the do's and don'ts. I am currently rocking a twa and using giovanni-smooth as silk conditioner, curls-quenched curls moisterizer for a leave-in, and curls-curl souffle for styling. I run daily and plan to co-wash at least 3 times a week. Please provide any tips for a newbie. Thanks!

Congratulations on your BC!!! Cute, cute, cute!!!
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 21st June 2010, 9:10 pm

The cut was very liberating! I was very nervous to BC because I didn't know if I would end up with kinks or curls lol. I realize I am paying a bit much for the products I use but I have a thing for "all-natural" products or close to it. I guess you can say I follow the CG regimen (no cones, sulfates, etc). I have no idea what type of hair I have either. I'm thinking its along the lines of 4a but I honestly have no earthly idea! I actually have some of that Organikah Whipped Hair butter from Whole Foods, but I kind of don't like the smell. I was thinking about melting it and mixing it with some other product. Do you co-wash at night or in the morning? I like to co-wash at night after my runs but hate wet pillows and prefer to air dry. I don't know how long this twa will last but I love the low maintenance aspect of it. I call it the wake, shake, & go!
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 21st June 2010, 9:11 pm

Lynnieluve wrote:

Congratulations on your BC!!! Cute, cute, cute!!!

Thanks so much!!!
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 21st June 2010, 9:12 pm

By the way, is anyone thinking about getting the Carol's Daughter new Hair Milk Curl Collection when it comes out?
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 21st June 2010, 9:16 pm

No more Carols Daughters products for me. They just didnt work for me. I tried the hair milk (couldnt get pass the smell) and the Tui Smoothie.
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 21st June 2010, 10:31 pm

divacpa wrote:By the way, is anyone thinking about getting the Carol's Daughter new Hair Milk Curl Collection when it comes out?

I have some Carol's Daughter stuff you can have! I HATE the smell. It makes me nauseous!

The conditioners that I mentioned are all good for you hair with no sulfates, no cones.

I cowashed at night, and in the mornings on most days. Cowash early enough for your hair to air dry, or use an old t-shirt to soak up some of the water. Towels might make your hair frizzy.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 21st June 2010, 10:45 pm

Oh no, if Carol's Daughter smells bad you can definitely count me out! I've always wanted to try suave's products because they smell so good. Do you know if they have a natural line?
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 22nd June 2010, 3:25 pm

divacpa wrote:Oh no, if Carol's Daughter smells bad you can definitely count me out! I've always wanted to try suave's products because they smell so good. Do you know if they have a natural line?

Yeah, they do. I just tried the Almond and Shea Butter yesterday, and it was okay for cowashing, but that's about all I'll use it for. It's very watery, but it smells good. I'll try their Rosemary/Mint next, since it's so cheap. Here's a link to the information about the conditioners:

http://www.suave.com/professionals/shampoo-conditioner

Yeah, if you don't like the smell of Organikah Whipped Hair butter, you will DEFINITELY not like the smell of Carol's Daughter's products.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by kurlegurl 22nd June 2010, 4:47 pm

Hey! COngrats on your BC, I'm a new BCer as well, so welcome to the club! LoL....I tried the new Carols Daughter Hair Milk Collection on Sunday (in Sephora...LoL) and in the morning my hair was SUPER dry!!! I hated the way it felt, and like the others mentioned the smell is NOT great! Enjoy your Journey, you are def in the right place for info!!!
kurlegurl
kurlegurl

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 22nd June 2010, 4:58 pm

Well I guess Carol's Daughter's gets a big "X" on my list. What are some of your favorite products curlybarbi48, lynnieluve, kurlegurl (and anyone else reading the thread)?
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by kurlegurl 22nd June 2010, 5:11 pm

Well, for me....I still haven't found my STAPLES, but for now I am in love with Suave Almond Shea for cowashing, Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1 (I LOVE THIS!), its a great moisturiser/curl definer and everything else in between! Also, I recently got hooked on Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel, I'm not big on gel, but for a light hold it works wonders. Natural Coconut Oil, and something I tried this weekend that I will be buying tomorrow is the Carol's Daughter Hair Balm, for moisture and it has the BEST smell!!! My hair isn't too picky on cones or sulfates, but when I do wash I use the Suave Naturals Almond and Shea or Suave Humectant. I'm a HUGE product Junkie, so I like to keep my products reasonable! LoL..
kurlegurl
kurlegurl

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 22nd June 2010, 9:43 pm

My favorite products right now are Aussie Moist Conditioner, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, and definitely Eco Custard. I love the way my twists are defined with the Eco Custard. Also, Eco Styler Gel is the best and it doesn't leave my hair hard. I switch my products up every month or so, I have major PJism!
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 23rd June 2010, 6:26 pm

I think I'm going to try one of the conditioners in the Suave Naturals line for co-washing. I'm going to aim for the Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut or the Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple! I've read lots of good reviews on the Aussie Moist Conditioner and the Suave ALmond & Shea Butter, but both have cones in them [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] . My plan is to stop by one of the drugstores after work tonight so I will be sure to let you know how it turns out!
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 23rd June 2010, 8:44 pm

Super score on the Suave Naturals today! Walgreens had them on sale for $1 each so I got 2 of the Juicy Green Apple and 2 of the Tropical Coconut!!! Those prices truly made my day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by curlybarbi48 24th June 2010, 3:39 pm

divacpa wrote:Super score on the Suave Naturals today! Walgreens had them on sale for $1 each so I got 2 of the Juicy Green Apple and 2 of the Tropical Coconut!!! Those prices truly made my day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks, Divacpa! I guess I'll be stopping by Walgreen's today after work! I'm going to have to rent a trailer for all of my products because I've run out of room under my cabinets.
curlybarbi48
curlybarbi48

Back to top Go down

Post by divacpa 24th June 2010, 3:45 pm

curlybarbi48 wrote:
divacpa wrote:Super score on the Suave Naturals today! Walgreens had them on sale for $1 each so I got 2 of the Juicy Green Apple and 2 of the Tropical Coconut!!! Those prices truly made my day [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Thanks, Divacpa! I guess I'll be stopping by Walgreen's today after work! I'm going to have to rent a trailer for all of my products because I've run out of room under my cabinets.

Not sure if you're interested but Walgreens also had the V05 and White Rain brands on sale too. Those were only $0.79 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
divacpa
divacpa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down