CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Hair do

+43
Naturally Esq
summerbreeze76
ChrsLvsBks
Intelligentbeauty
CurlyChefRobin
SheeTacular
KeAnia
QuietButterfly
Cnicoles6
iri9109
TheRYL1
xtremelyperfect
PaganWifey
freckledmom4
mstokes2008
blondie
missmoriah
AfrikanLatina
Muz
curlsunfurled
poeticlyspkng
KinkyNappyHappy
jlowman1
cyclingchick
sweetdrk1
Juices-n-Berries
Lynnieluve
nattyblog
Buttercup76
NubieNatty
DvaAuNaturel
priceless
hippychic
LaToya28
Serenity23
MellowOne
CocoEuro
Nikcoils
CurlsGalore
CrissyQ
krazy coils
Ebbz
WhosThatRedHead
47 posters

Page 2 of 20 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down

New Hair do - Page 2 Empty Re: New Hair do

Post by Buttercup76 24th June 2010, 12:29 pm

Welcome to curlstreet.... Hope you find it nice and cozy up here... Wink

-What inspired some of you to go natural? I had severe hair loss due to stress. Was tired of the relaxers adding to the hair loss and the shedding and thinning of my hair... Plus I was spending at the minimum 40 every 2 weeks for upkeep... Bad Economy... LOL
-What are some of your favorite products? My favorite product is H20... LOL... I also love afroveda hempseed loc, twist, and roll butter, giovanni 50:50 shampoo and tea tree condish, and Trader Joe's NourishSpa condish for detangling...
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA? I mainly did wash n go's with ecostyler then 2 strand twist as it grew out...
Buttercup76
Buttercup76

http://www.thegeminiexperience.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 24th June 2010, 12:32 pm

NubieNatty wrote:hey redhead! welcome!!! i love ur story and i had to pause when i seen u had a perm since 2 New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_eek ! it reminded me of that little girl on "good hair" who was sittin in that chair wit her hair burning!

My co-worker inspired...well more so PUSHED me to go natural with her. i had always had it in the back of my head and i failed the first time a few years ago becuz i had NO INFO to go on. In my permie days, i strictly wore roller wraps but i always wanted volume and big hair. I also got tired of these expensive stylists esp ones who overbooked or aint never show up on time (dmn CPT time). Before i made the commitment into goin natural i did extensive research and got more n more inspired. i too, like u did an amber rose!! i have a hair journal where i keep up with my findings in what products do for me, a wish list, styling tips and pretty much my progress every month. its so fun!

My favorite products...**evil laugh** MWWWwwwaaaAAAHHH New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_evil
please dont make me do it... New Hair do - Page 2 Kopfschuettel i.......just.....wont entertain this question!!!

ok i will. its only natural to become a pj in the beginning becuz u are so excited about learning so much about what ur hair likes u wanna try everything. i WISH i wouldve had more control over passin up products but when u read such rave product reviews n etc u just cant help it. Im 8 months into it and im JUST now learning to curve it but in lookin back on it, i wasted alot of money. For my year anniversary (sept) im gonna dwindle my stash down to ONLY what my staples are.
My faves: qhemet, carol's daughter (tui smoothie and herbel poo), kbb (cond poo, hair butter n cream, also the hair mask but im too heavy handed n that 8 oz can dont last long for me); MJ rapid recovery, afroveda shikakai oil and now im on hairveda now! loves it!! i definitely keep any and all oils in stock for oil rinses and hot oil treatments.

giiiiiiirl now why did u make me do that, lol.

my favorite twa styles were mainly wash n go's. i did venture off into coils around my 5th month and i got kinky twist extensions around my 3rd month becuz i really lacked in the styling dept and since it was winter time i couldnt hold on to any moisture New Hair do - Page 2 Kopfschuettel !! but i learned how to handle it for this winter coming up...im ready!!

i look forward to your journey and im sooooo loving that red. u look good with ur twa and i see u are burstin wit creativity already New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_wink

its all on trial and error but u have a TON of support from these laydeez!

soooooo; whats ur favorite products and do u feel a difference in ur attitude now? like more confidence?

Thank you! The red is my natural color. I've been reading up on henna and have been thinking about trying it for the benefits to my hair but I'm worried what color it will turn my hair. I'm thinking about maybe using lemon juice to lighten up my tips but then I don't want to make my tips dry and brittle.

I'm just starting out with my products and I'm trying hard not to go overboard and not go broke buying up everything!! But I realize that I'm going to have to buy different things to see what works best in my hair. Right now I'm using Aubrey Organics White Camellia for my shampoo and condtioner. I've been co washing with Giovanni Deep Moisture shampoo. I did my first DC last night with the Aubrey organics and honey. I put a bag on my head, tied it down with a doo rag and went to bed. My hair was super soft when I rinsed it out this morning! I've been using a Giovanni leave in conditioner and sometimes I use Cantu Shea Butter Intense leave in (It's the one in the jar) as a leave in as well. I'm looking for something that will help define my curls without making my hair crunchy. I've been trying AV gel and it's doing ok. I may try some other stuff in the weeks to come. I wanted to try the Shea Butter Moisture line that is carried at Target but none of the Targets in Colorado carry it. From the reviews its comperable to Carol's daughter just not as expensive. So we'll see.

As far as confidence.... it took a lot to get used to. I kinda feel that the choice to go natural was made for me instead of me making it. I had huge bald spots and I knew I had to do something about it. When I shaved my head I had to make a choice.... wear a itchy and hot wig or rock the fade.... I chose to rock the fade. I was self conscious for a day or so. I was worried about what my boyfriend would say. When he looked at me he walked up to me, rubbed my head and told me no matter what I was beautiful. I cried because we had been talking about getting married and I didn't want to be bald in my wedding pics. He told me that didn't matter and if we had to glue a flower to my head we would and I would still be beautiful.

So I took a big girl pill and embraced it. I've always wore make up and I just noticed that not having as much hair forced people to look at my face. I love big earings so I just rock the big earings and the eye shadow and I'm good to go! I feel beautiful. It's not the hair that makes me it's me that makes the hair.

Plus I don't care if I'm bald, have hair down to my back, a size 2 or a size 22, make up or natural face.... I'm sexy and I'm beautiful. If I don't beleive that about myself or don't carry myself like I am why should anyone else think so?

India Arie said it best....I am NOT my hair! New Hair do - Page 2 617583
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 24th June 2010, 11:15 pm

So....I've given in to my growing PJ habit and bout some stuff today..... New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_bounce
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 25th June 2010, 1:10 pm

Buttercup76 wrote:Welcome to curlstreet.... Hope you find it nice and cozy up here... New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_wink

-What inspired some of you to go natural? I had severe hair loss due to stress. Was tired of the relaxers adding to the hair loss and the shedding and thinning of my hair... Plus I was spending at the minimum 40 every 2 weeks for upkeep... Bad Economy... LOL
-What are some of your favorite products? My favorite product is H20... LOL... I also love afroveda hempseed loc, twist, and roll butter, giovanni 50:50 shampoo and tea tree condish, and Trader Joe's NourishSpa condish for detangling...
-Is there a particular way that you like to wear (or wore) your TWA? I mainly did wash n go's with ecostyler then 2 strand twist as it grew out...

Man I hear you about the bad economy... I though being natural would save me money but I keep looking at different products and wondering how they would do in my hair....
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by CurlsGalore 25th June 2010, 1:29 pm

Join the club! I finally got my PJism under control after about six months of being natural. I got so many products I haven't touched or just used once or twice. You'll find the products that your hair likes eventually and the PJism will die down.
CurlsGalore
CurlsGalore

http://public.fotki.com/mahoganyface

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 25th June 2010, 10:24 pm

I bought some KCCC yesterday and used it with KCNT as well....I'm in LOVE!!!!

New Hair do - Page 2 Img00018

New Hair do - Page 2 Img00019

New Hair do - Page 2 Img00020

I was having issues with my hair being poofy and my curls not being defined..... any opinions???

Oh and I plan on trying a honey and cinnamon treatment to lighten my hair a little bit..... We'll see how that goes
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 26th June 2010, 2:33 am

I came in because I laughed out loud at your title! My answer years ago would've been, "Yes, it's called 'We Can't Help You Because We're PJ's Too'", lol. But I do agree with CurlsGalore. After awhile, you'll just notice what your hair likes. You may try something new every now and again. But your "holy grail" products will be your mainstays.

The curl formation is awesome!! And I love the color of your hair! So lucky. Mine is a mousy brown (can you hear the deadening silence followed by the chirping of crickets in the background?).

nattyblog
nattyblog

http://naturalgeek.onsugar.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebbz 26th June 2010, 2:57 am

I am slowly becoming a PJ. My budget will only allow me to buy a new product probably twice a month but I can tell that it's slowly becoming a problem. lol I just want to try everything! I have this urge to buy a new flat iron even though I have one at home that works just fine.
Ebbz
Ebbz

https://www.facebook.com/ekragin or www.twitter.com/TRUELIFE_ebbz

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 26th June 2010, 10:50 am

Ebbz wrote:I am slowly becoming a PJ. My budget will only allow me to buy a new product probably twice a month but I can tell that it's slowly becoming a problem. lol I just want to try everything! I have this urge to buy a new flat iron even though I have one at home that works just fine.

I hear you about budget. I can only get stuff on pay day....
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 26th June 2010, 10:53 am

nattyblog wrote:I came in because I laughed out loud at your title! My answer years ago would've been, "Yes, it's called 'We Can't Help You Because We're PJ's Too'", lol. But I do agree with CurlsGalore. After awhile, you'll just notice what your hair likes. You may try something new every now and again. But your "holy grail" products will be your mainstays.

The curl formation is awesome!! And I love the color of your hair! So lucky. Mine is a mousy brown (can you hear the deadening silence followed by the chirping of crickets in the background?).

Lol so we're all PJ's! That doesn't make me feel so bad!

Awe, I like brown hair!! For years I wanted black hair but I was worried if I dyed my hair it wouldn't go back to my natural color. People always want what they don't have ie people with straight hair wanting curly hair, people with curly hair wanting straight hair.....
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by Lynnieluve 26th June 2010, 12:09 pm

Welcome to Curl Street!!!

I went natural due to post partum shedding. I always said I would go natural in my 50s.....well I did it about 20 yrs early.

My favorite products (subject to change New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_lol ) are:

Creme of Nature Shampoo
Giovanni Direct Leave In (first love New Hair do - Page 2 Drunken_smilie)
Giovanni Smooth As Silk
Yes to Cucumbers
Shea Butter

These are the ones I LOVE and will continue to buy. There are some others I use that I LIKE but feel like they could be replaced.

My signature still when I had a TWA was (and still is) two strand twist/twist outs.

Yes there is a PJism support group here!!!! We help support your PJism but giving AMAZING product reviews and share pics to show how AMAZING the products are then you will just HAVE to have them. New Hair do - Page 2 Lol
Lynnieluve
Lynnieluve

Back to top Go down

Post by Juices-n-Berries 26th June 2010, 7:55 pm

Welcome to Curl Street... I'm a PJ myself so I'll remain silent. Lol. New Hair do - Page 2 Lol
Juices-n-Berries
Juices-n-Berries

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 26th June 2010, 11:52 pm

Juices-n-Berries wrote:Welcome to Curl Street... I'm a PJ myself so I'll remain silent. Lol. New Hair do - Page 2 Lol

I love your name!! Each time I see it it makes me think of Coming to America and I giggle!!! LOVE IT. Like I hear Eddie Murphy saying it in his fake african accent.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 27th June 2010, 12:21 pm

Got any tips on how to keep my hair moisturized?? I live in Colorado and it's EXTREMLY dry!!!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by krazy coils 27th June 2010, 3:47 pm

Hey WhothatRedHead,

Do you deep condition your hair or have you tried baggying your hair for moisturization?
krazy coils
krazy coils

http://public.fotki.com/kamaia16/, https://www.youtube.com/user/k

Back to top Go down

Post by DvaAuNaturel 27th June 2010, 5:29 pm

I'm battling dryness with my hair too and live in a more humid climate.

You need to find products that your hair likes but also that work with the extremely DRY Colorado temps/weather instead of against it.

Both of these blogs from the Curl Whisperer (Struttswife on naturallycurly.com) and Pittsburgh Curly (Red Celtic Curls on naturally curly) have been really helpful in learning and understanding my hair and how weather impacts my results.

http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/

http://www.curlynikki.com/2010/06/summer-curls-understanding-dew-points.html#comments

And don't forget water is your hair's best friend. New Hair do - Page 2 Icon_smile
DvaAuNaturel
DvaAuNaturel

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 27th June 2010, 7:38 pm

Yeah, you got to keep that red glistening! So lucky...

I like DvaAuNaturel's response. Loads of water! But don't forget to follow up with some sort of sealant to keep it in and lubricated. I think most folks use a combo like this (or similar):

-spritz concoction (lots of suggestions around the forum for that)
-leave-in condish (something that works for your hair where you like how it feels after the water has evaporated)
-oil (which can be mixed with the leave-in)
-something a little heavier on the ends

It works for moisture and to refresh the curls in your hair in the mornings. Keeps the fro from getting crunchy. Wink
nattyblog
nattyblog

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 30th June 2010, 11:51 pm

So I've given in to my PJ again!!! I bought some coconut oil and Nature's Gate Hemp Conditioner (To try on my co washes)and Giovanni 50/50. I'm deep conditioning tonight so we'll see how that turns out.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 6th July 2010, 11:48 pm

So... I shoulda known better than to cheat on my Giovanni's Deep Moisture conditioner with something else.... As I cruise along my natural journey I'm learning what works on my hair.

I think my hair is starting to get a little lighter with the cinnamon and honey mix.... I'll post pics in a week or so. Hope everyone had a happy afro day!
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 6th July 2010, 11:51 pm

Title change
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 7th July 2010, 12:06 am

This is where I started from...

New Hair do - Page 2 Img00010
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 8th July 2010, 11:32 pm

New Hair do - Page 2 Pink10

experiementing will a new "style" for my TWA... a mini swoop

New Hair do - Page 2 Pink210
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 9th July 2010, 10:22 am

enjoy your TWA while you can..trust me I felt the same exact way seems like yesterday.
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by WhosThatRedHead 9th July 2010, 11:30 am

Thanks sweetdrk1! I think I'm just really looking forward to style possibilities.
WhosThatRedHead
WhosThatRedHead

Back to top Go down

Post by nattyblog 9th July 2010, 8:44 pm

You killin' 'em with that swoop girl!! afro

I love it!!
nattyblog
nattyblog

Back to top Go down