CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This Time I did 50/50

4 posters

Go down

This Time I did 50/50 Empty This Time I did 50/50

Post by Estiscurls 17th June 2010, 10:25 pm

I don't see much change. I'm not sure if I will do this again. I think my hair is too long or something because it was the most difficult and time consuming thing I'v ever done to my hair (besides getting it cornrowed which I've done only once as well). I've been rinsing it out for two days now and still need to rinse more but I decided to set it and see how it looks so far.

I think I am going to have to find someone with really long hair and find out how they apply their henna because after all the women in India and Pakistan have long hair and they seem to manage. Maybe I have to just apply it and let it hang down my back instead of piling it on top and wrapping it with saran wrap.

Also, I've read (on CN) that it takes a couple of days to really take full effect and that the more applications of henna/indigo the more your hair improves, so I'm going to keep an open mind for a while.
I'm going to try Maricopa's routine and just apply indigo to my roots because with the 50/50 mix the roots still came out orange. Anyhoo - here are my pics.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Any and all suggestions are welccomed.
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

This Time I did 50/50 Empty Re: This Time I did 50/50

Post by DreamMerchant 17th June 2010, 11:31 pm

How did you initially rinse it out? WHen I am ready to rinse, I put my head under warm water to get out as much henna as possible. THen I gob on the conditioner so that it can take the rest of the silty powder out. I also leave mine on for 24 hours too.
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 18th June 2010, 1:27 am

I rinsed with warm water long enough to fill up about five tubs, then I put conditioner in my hair and rinsed some more. Then I put some heavy conditioner in and let it stay for a few hours. I rinsed again and lots of color came out and then I used shampoo, twice. Again, heavy conditioner and waited about 45 mins and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed until my fingers started shriveling.

My hair does feel softer but I know there's more to rinse out because I can see the granules in my hair. I will be rinsing every day until I get clear water. But next time, if there is one, I will only be using indigo because I want my hair darker
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by DreamMerchant 18th June 2010, 10:16 am

Did you do the indigo too?
DreamMerchant
DreamMerchant

http://public.fotki.com/DreamMerchant/

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 18th June 2010, 7:55 pm

Yes, I did a 50/50 mix of indigo and henna. All but my roots came out dark. I'm going to do just indigo on my roots when more white grows out. Here is my hair (50/50) in the sunlight. I kinda like it.

I wrapped my hair overnight so it's kind of straight BUT I didn't use a blow dryer or curling iron - YAY!
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by R2D2 20th June 2010, 10:10 pm

Hi Esticurls,

I have thick, BSL hair and henna about once a month using the two step method (firstly henna, then wash out and then indigo by itself and wash out). You are right it is very time consuming and difficult to do, especially the two step method but I do this as I prefer the natural black/darker tone compared to the 50:50 ratio. You can also do the two step a few days apart, henna one day and then indigo a week later.

What was the brand of the henna you used? Maybe you need to go for one that is more finely sifted and therefore easier to wash out? Another suggestion is to possibly mix the henna with yoghurt or coconut milk (my fave!) as these help with the wash out. I also stick my head under the bath tap as we have a high water pressure and this helps to shift the particles of henna. Care has to be taken with the eyes though. I still need to do one shampoo and condition 24 hours later so I do a quick/standard 30 mins DC on the henna day but save my extra conditioning care for 1-2 days later. Then my hair is back to normal moisture/cleaness levels.

I usually coat my hair with the henna then roughly braid in large sections and pin up with a couple of those large hair clips that they use in the hair salon. I cover with two plastic caps and saran wrap.

I've stopped doing full treatments every time now and most occasions only touch up my new growth. This was mainly because I don't want to lose any more curl. It is easier doing touch up only.

It is very hard work but it's really strengthened my hair and I'm prepared to do the hard graft to keep repeating those results. I've been hennaeing for a year now.

Maybe you could check the Long Hair Community
some of the ladies there have very long hair and they henna!
R2D2
R2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Estiscurls 21st June 2010, 2:17 am

Thank you SO MUCH!! I needed to hear from someone like you. Over the last few days I have noticed a big improvement in the texture of my hair - enough to motivate me to keep trying.

I am definitely going to do the touch-up-roots-only routine because I have a lot of white (worst than gray) and I will take your suggestion to use cocoanut milk. Is there anywhere I can see pics of your hair?

I am not too concerned about losing curl as I never had much curl in the first place. I am asian and black and seemed to have inherited the worst of each - long frizzy waves. But it's OK, I'm learning a lot from CN. Oh, if only I knew these things 30 years ago!! But better late than never.

Thanks again!
Estiscurls
Estiscurls

Back to top Go down

Post by halfcurly 30th June 2010, 5:06 pm

My new growth comes in pretty white and I've been using Jamila BAQ Henna and Indigo in a two step process with great results. I've also mixed my henna with 1/2 cup of coconut milk and a few tablespoons of coconut oil and like the smoothness that it gives the mixture and I haven't experienced the residual henna or indigo after rinsing. One more tip with the two step method only rinse with water between the two applications conditioner may change the way the indigo binds to your strands save the conditioning for your last rinse. Keep trying, the color will get more even with multiple applications.
halfcurly
halfcurly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down