CurlyNikki Community
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms

+53
~*Kiana*~
PrincessNicci
Allu242
ShortNSassie
MsKayDee
Umph
amyleia
TWA-pril
embracingmycurls
DvaAuNaturel
vovowiththafro
NEWCURLGURL
beautifulkinksandcoils
swoodward
Hurricane Curly
Buttercup76
kmjohnson624
valarham
FallBeauty
jamaicanmecurly
curlylexi22
marbar1908
SimplyShainee
Curliana
shekaraimani
Pinkrage
CurlyChick
kurlykaren
Lynnieluve
Davinewellness09
3rdTimeAround
missmoriah
Rizada
one.tru.luv
nulynaturalali
cupcake4
Hollis
pandzz
neethair
LearninToLove
vonda4b
Freestyles
BrownSkinDiva
styleandgrace
CombedOutLocs
HumanNature
svrbrownsuga
Happy2B
rebelrocks
AfrikanLatina
sweetdrk1
gammainme
*CurlyNikki*
57 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms Empty Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 9:42 am

I'm sure that to some, the abbreviations and jargon in the Natural Hair world may be a bit perplexing, and even intimidating at first. Here's a list of commonly mentioned ingredients/techniques/abbreviations, that you will run across on CurlyNikki.com and other hair sites:

2nd day hair
- Hair that looks good (at least decent) when you wake up the next morning...you don't have to do much before walking out of the house. Some are lucky enough to get 3rd and 4th day hair!

3abc/4a/4b/4c-
A hair type classification system, for further clarification, see THIS LINK.
ACV- Apple Cider Vinegar (used to seal cuticle...final rinse) A hair type classification system.

APL- Refers to length-- arm pit length.

BAA-Big ass afro

Baggy - After you moisturize your hair at night, you put a shopping bag, plastic cap, shower cap on overnight.

BC - Big Chop - cutting off all your chemically treated hair

BNC-
Braid-n-Curl, simply plait or braid the hair and roll the ends on rods or flexis.

BSL- Refers to length-- bra strap length.

BSS- Beauty Supply Store

CBL- Refers to length-- collar bone length.

Co-Wash- Using conditioner to wash the hair in place of shampoo

Cones- Are 'silicones', or ingredients found in hair care products that are not water soluble (i.e. you need shampoo to remove). Failure to wash out cones may lead to build-up, which may result in dry hair and breakage (due to suffocation of the strands).

CG- Refers to the "Curly Girl" method explained in the book by Lorraine Massey. It is a philosophy for curls that involves, no or low shampoo, cone avoidance, and conditioner washing...among other things. These are just a few of the basic tenants.

DT or DC- Is a deep treatment or conditioner. A DT is when you leave a moisturizing (or protein based, depending on your needs) conditioner on your hair for an extended period of time, along with a heat source to aid in penetration.

Dusting- Dusting your hair is a trim of 1/4
and inch or less. This method is also referred to as dusting because
even though your hair is being trimmed evenly, it is so little hair,
that it just looks like dust on the floor.

EO- Essential Oil

EVCO- Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (used in conditioning treatments)

EVOO- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (used in conditioning treatments)

HG- Holy Grail (Products that are tried and true)

HIH- Hand in Hair. Its a disease that causes you to always be manipulating your tresses.

MBL- Refers to length-- mid back length.

Nappyversary/Nattyversary - The anniversary of the day you became a natural

No-poo- It's just that- no shampoo. Ladies who follow this routine are CG'ers and don't use cones or other heavy/oily products that may need shampoo to remove. Instead of pooing, many ladies conditioner wash, or use conditioner in place of shampoo to cleanse the scalp.

Pineappleing- a type of sleeping technique that curlies with long hair use to
preserve/protect curls overnight so that they have great 2nd day hair. You gather all of your hair in a high, but loose
pony tail at the top of your head and go to sleep on a satin
pillowcase. In the morning you take it down and shake it out gently and
all of your curls will have been preserved.

PJ- Product Junky or someone that buys any all hair care products in sight...forever on a mission to find the next best thing.

Plopping- A quick dry method. You use a t-shirt or a curl friendly material (terry cloth towel, paper towel) to dry your hair instead
of rubbing a towel on your hair to dry it. It drastically decreases drying times.

Pre-pooing- A treatment applied prior to shampooing. It usually consists of oils and/or conditioners applied the night before the shampoo or immediately prior, with a heat source to help penetrate. This is usually performed to help the hair maintain necessary moisture during the drying shampoo process.

Sealing- Is essentially sealing moisture in the hair, specifically the ends. For sealing to be effective, you must first use a water-based moisturizer (a conditioner or cream that has water as its first ingredient), and then seal with a butter or oil. The molecules in most butters/oils are too large to pass into the hair, so they stick to the outside of the shaft, trapping in the rich goodness of the moisturizer. Reversing those 2 steps will lead to dry hair. Sealing has saved my hair.

Search and Destroy (S&Ds)- I go on S&Ds once a month. I find good lighting, usually in the bathroom, and examine my ends...whenever I see a split, a crooked end or a single strand knot, I snip it out. I only use hair scissors for this task (purchase from Sally's or Walmart)m this is key. Buy a decent pair of hair scissors and ONLY USE THEM FOR HAIR TRIMS. Dull scissors will do more damage. Every now and then (when my hair is excessively tangly), I'll do a Micro Trim, which is snipping off the last 1/4 of an inch of my ends...I do this while my hair is in twists for ease.

Slip- Used to describe how slippery a product is (usually a
conditioner or detangler)... the more slip it has, the more effectively
it will coat the hair to aid in detangling.

SLS- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (found in the harsher shampoos- the main reason that CG'ers avoid poo).

TNC-
Twist-n-Curl. This is my signature style. I twist the hair and roll the ends.

Transitioning - This is the period of time since one's last relaxer.

TWA- Teeny Weeny Afro

Twist Out - Two strand twist the hair, allow to dry either by air drying or sitting under a dryer, take the twists apart, and style.

Wash and Go- Simply co-wash your hair, add a styler (gel, cream) and GO [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] You leave the hair to air dry or dry with a diffuser. Although this style is cute and easy, my ends couldn't handle it. This is also seen as WnG, and W&G.

Add to the list ladies!

Last edited by *CurlyNikki* on 10th June 2010, 8:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

http://www.curlynikki.com

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms Empty Re: Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms

Post by gammainme 25th October 2009, 9:58 am

OK, this doesn't have anything to do hair dictionary, but on some sites, i would see "bump"- what does that mean??? its a long awaited question for me:)
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms Empty Re: Natural Hair Dictionary--Detangling the Terms

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 10:03 am

bump means to literally 'bump an old post back up to the top'...to get more replies, more views, etc.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gammainme 25th October 2009, 10:08 am

ohhhhhhhhhh- DAnka! Danka!
gammainme
gammainme

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 25th October 2009, 10:36 am

Nikki! I ADORE you! this post is right on point and needed!! ThaNK you! I have been trying for so long to figure out what EO meant! hahahahahaaaa You are the BEST!!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 10:45 am

hahaha! No worries Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 10:45 am

oh, but on my blog, I've been talking about EO Conditioners...totally different, lol.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AfrikanLatina 25th October 2009, 12:05 pm

twist out - two strand twist hair, allow to dry either by air drying or sitting under a dryer, take the twist apart,and style

transitioning
- this is the period of time since one's last relaxer.

BC
- Big Chop - cutting off all your chemically treated hair

nappyversary/nattyversary - the anniversary of the day you became a natural

HIH- hand in hair. Its a disease that causes you to always be manipulating your tresses.

Last edited by AfrikanLatina on 25th October 2009, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add to post)
AfrikanLatina
AfrikanLatina

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=25004315&a

Back to top Go down

Post by sweetdrk1 25th October 2009, 2:09 pm

@ Nikki EO conditioner in this case EO is a brand?
@Afrikanlatina I have HIH bad, thanks for that term, hadn't seen that one!!
sweetdrk1
sweetdrk1

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?ref=profile&a

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 25th October 2009, 2:44 pm

Yes ma'am Smile

I'm a HIH or HIF sufferer as well! Unfortunate disease.
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rebelrocks 30th October 2009, 2:42 pm

*CurlyNikki* wrote:Yes ma'am [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I really Hope that F stands for fro and not foot, lol [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
rebelrocks
rebelrocks

Back to top Go down

Post by Happy2B 4th November 2009, 2:30 pm

Thank you so much for this dictionary. I just BC'd a little over a month ago and am still learning all the different terms.
Happy2B
Happy2B

Back to top Go down

Post by svrbrownsuga 7th November 2009, 11:40 pm

Hey Nikki! Thanks for telling us what bump means..like other ladies that is one term that I could not catch on to lol thanks girl!
svrbrownsuga
svrbrownsuga

http://www.fotki.com/svrbrownsuga

Back to top Go down

Post by *CurlyNikki* 7th November 2009, 11:59 pm

lol, it took me a while too Smile
*CurlyNikki*
*CurlyNikki*
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanNature 25th November 2009, 9:06 pm

Thanks....I am new to the site and needed CLIFF notes.
HumanNature
HumanNature

Back to top Go down

Post by CombedOutLocs 26th November 2009, 8:47 pm

Thanx for that, i have recently freed my hair after having locs for 9 yrs so i've been out of touch with curly terms and phrases,you've saved me alot of googling [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

CombedOutLocs

Back to top Go down

Post by styleandgrace 6th December 2009, 9:12 pm

LOVE this! Thanks for the clarification Smile
styleandgrace
styleandgrace

http://birthdayalamode.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BrownSkinDiva 8th December 2009, 8:56 am

*CurlyNikki* wrote:Yes ma'am Smile

This is such an unfortunate disease, i was suffering from it while transitioning and it only got worse after my BC!!! lol
BrownSkinDiva
BrownSkinDiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Freestyles 19th December 2009, 9:56 pm

BSS- Beauty Supply Store

--Reese [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Freestyles
Freestyles

Back to top Go down

Post by vonda4b 23rd December 2009, 5:23 pm

TNC--twist n curl
BNC-braid n curl
vonda4b
vonda4b

Back to top Go down

Post by LearninToLove 27th December 2009, 1:42 am

Can someone add what a pineapple is?
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by neethair 29th December 2009, 12:42 pm

Good Morning Nikki/Ladies-

Thank for the hair dictionary. I check this site out everyday and to be honest sometime I'm like what are they talking about. [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] However, I continue to logon and have learned a lot of the term. Trust and believe I'm printing this page out. I'm a newbie so these terms are essential.

Peace & Blessings
neethair
neethair
neethair

Back to top Go down

Post by pandzz 2nd January 2010, 5:01 pm

@ learning to love...

a pineapple is a type of sleeping technique that curlies with long hair use to preserve/protect curls overnight so that they have great 2nd day hair.

you usually loosely take all of your hair and put it in a high, but loose pony tail at the top of your hair and go to sleep on a satin pillowcase. in the morning you take it down and shake it out gently and all of your curls will have been preserved.
pandzz
pandzz

Back to top Go down

Post by Hollis 3rd January 2010, 4:50 pm

Does anyone know what dusting is? I've seen some women say they dust every few months instead of trimming, what is that? Thanks!
Hollis
Hollis

Back to top Go down

Post by LearninToLove 3rd January 2010, 7:42 pm

pandzz wrote:@ learning to love...

a pineapple is a type of sleeping technique that curlies with long hair use to preserve/protect curls overnight so that they have great 2nd day hair.

you usually loosely take all of your hair and put it in a high, but loose pony tail at the top of your hair and go to sleep on a satin pillowcase. in the morning you take it down and shake it out gently and all of your curls will have been preserved.
Ahhhh, thank you! This is what leightred does...
LearninToLove
LearninToLove

http://www.my-natural-motherhood-journey.com/work-at-home-mom-to

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next